‘Long’’ barrelled .22lr for rabbits and targets.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: ‘Long’’ barrelled .22lr for rabbits and targets.

Post by DaveZ » 22 Mar 2020, 6:53 pm

Yep that's where I've looked but can't find anything. Just wondering if any similar rules actually exist for our state.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Mar 2020, 9:29 pm

DaveZ wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone point me to where I would find this information in the Qld legislation please? I've looked and can't find any reference to these distances. I'm only on 25 acres so need to be aware of these numbers.

I'm just in the process of acquiring a CZ 455 varmint barrelled 22lr topped with a Vortex Copperhead 4-12 scope for the same purpose as the OP, hoping it's a nice little outfit :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,
All states have their own regulations and there are no distance regulations in QLD
In short, a licensed person can discharge a category A or B firearm at a range or on private RURAL zoned property with the owners express permission. There is no minimum land size but no projectile may leave the property boundary and you should not be viewable from public areas and can't cause fear for neighbors or anyone else (even trespassers).
Noise may also be an issue but is not covered under firearms legislation.

No restrictions on caliber either as long as the above is met but if somebody uses a 338 Lapua for plinking cans on 1 acre they're asking for trouble.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 22 Mar 2020, 10:02 pm

Thank you. That pretty much matches the information I could find. Except I'm not sure I found anything that limited it to rural zoning, I'll go back and have another look.

Thanks.
Dave.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 23 Mar 2020, 8:36 am

The rural zoning restriction is part of the RE1 endorsement for recreational shooting on your license, it's mentioned in Schedule 2, section 14 (page 123) of the Queensland weapons Regulation 2016.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by John » 12 Apr 2020, 6:47 pm

My vote goes to the model 2 Brno there’s a few around on the second hand market running my Brno really likes CCI standards a little more than CCI quiets it’s a very marginal difference on paper not what I would call noticeable in the field.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 13 Apr 2020, 11:56 am

I also prefer to shoot a quiet .22 on my small rural block & went through a similar situation to "permie".
I use an old single shot Winchester 67A with a long barrel & shoot shorts
The shorts are so quiet I can be shooting within 10 yards of the house & my wife inside the house does not hear them.
I also prefer to use the shorts rather than have an air rifle.
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles