22 for boar and bull???

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22 for boar and bull???

Post by VAZTR » 06 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm

Hi All,

Just sent my paperwork off for Cat A and B, but really don't know what I need.

I have a small farm where I raise pigs and cows (pigs and cow breeds are both small). I spoke to my local gun shop and they suggested a 22 solid will be fine for humanely killing both boars and bulls. But I keep reading that a 22 just doesn't have enough grunt.

Your thoughts??

Thanx

VAZ
VAZTR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 22 for boar and bull???

Post by Norton » 06 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

TBH I can't say it's something I've done, but I'm seriously doubting a .22 will consistently get through a cows skull.

Personally, I'd step it up to a small centre fire calibre.

Rimfire is for punching paper and busting bunnies. Not inches of bone...

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Last edited by Norton on 07 Mar 2014, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Mar 2014, 2:41 pm

If there for human consumption they should be sent to a processor for a start not shot with anything. I can't understand why you would suddenly need a rifle, What did you do before needing a rifle? When we take a sheep from our paddock for our own consumption it's just done with a knife.
Member-Deleted

Post by Guliver » 06 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm

We used to regularly kill pigs on the father in laws farm, .22 though the top of the skull, put them down without a problem.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VAZTR » 06 Mar 2014, 4:08 pm

Thanx Guys,

Jaso - we have a mobile butcher who does most of the work but he doesn't do the kill - I've never killed a sheep but I'm guessing you've never killed a pig cause there's sure no way I'd want to be anywhere near a pig with a knife. The animals are new to us, so these will be our first 'kills' - it's also handy to have the gun just in case we need to euthanise them at any time.

Think I'll ask around the other farms, see what they're using

VAZ
VAZTR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Mar 2014, 5:00 pm

Can't say for bull but a 22 to the head will definitely despatch a boar
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 06 Mar 2014, 7:41 pm

A 22LR will do the cow at close range with out issue. We use to put a beast in the freezer every year and the mobile butcher would do the cutting. Now the butcher does the lot. He carries a 22LR and will do three or four beasts a day. He has been doing it for years. It is quiet and quick. It is all about shot placement.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by cruze82 » 06 Mar 2014, 9:56 pm

have done plenty of bulls with the .22lr but its very personal shot placement is important
get yourself a centre fire if you want to be safe
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by D9er72 » 06 Mar 2014, 11:45 pm

I use a 22 at an abbatior on beef & bigger pigs where animals r confined , just got hit them in the spot that's all , old bulls need something bigger
D9er72
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 07 Mar 2014, 1:37 am

Since I can remember, and growing up on a farm, the .22 was THE tool for despatching pigs and cattle (The other calibres were used for hunting etc). These were always done at close range (not more than 3 metres), and with correct shot placement (in the brain)....I never ever witnessed any 'bad outcome', and neither have I heard of any. All of those that I have witnessed ( and believe me there were many) resulted in a 'pole axed' outcome/fashion. To this day I believe this to be a humane way of dealing with farm animals at an acceptable cost, but also because it proved extremely effective. The shooter, though, need to know what he/she is doing
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Norton » 07 Mar 2014, 7:35 am

Well there you go, I stand corrected.

I didn't think a ..22 would have the guts for a cows skull. Obviously I'm wrong.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by D9er72 » 08 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

We shot cows & bulls for years with a 22 lr witha verity off cheap 22 bullets even subs and pistol , bulls have thinker seem of bone downe the middle off the head so aim 2 cm left or right of center and most go down ! We had a bolt gun that did the job if 22 didn't but that was over a 1$ a shot and ya had to watch for sharp horns , 22 is 5-6c and ya could shoot em from a meter away .
D9er72
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 08 Mar 2014, 2:39 pm

Well if you make sure to put it right in the ear or barrel right on top of the head , they will go straight down. Ive done it with horses and sheep, apparently .22LR's are a nightmare for trauma surgeons in the US, because they go in and zip around the body and dont come out, they just destroy the insides, in this case the brain.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Vati » 09 Mar 2014, 3:24 pm

"If only he'd been shot with a 7.62mm" they say?

:lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles