.17 thoughts, opinions, beliefs and superstitions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.17 thoughts, opinions, beliefs and superstitions

Post by Ziege » 11 Apr 2020, 1:14 am

As the topic says haha

I am looking at making two .17 purchases once this covid19 ****** ends, was originally going to storm off to buy a 45-70 but can't be arsed and already own heavy hitters.

What I'm looking at getting is a 17wsm and a .17 air rifle of some sort...

Now I have no idea what 17wsm rifles are kicking around but I know I don't want a HMR. And looking for Ernest input into what non pcp or gas powered air rifles are a goer on a budget, mostly for plinking and taking out pesky critters that have wings and beaks that keep messing with the orchard.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Re: .17 thoughts, opinions, beliefs and superstitions

Post by 9.3x64 » 11 Apr 2020, 6:42 am

I am no expert on 17 caliber rifles, but in my experience I was always annoyed by barrel fouling and accuracy falling off, compared to slightly larger bore sizes. Not an issue with an air rifle of course, but I would opt for a slightly larger bore.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by John » 11 Apr 2020, 7:29 am

.17s where a favourite of a lot fox skin shooters in the 70s manly due to little skin damage.
There sort of died out after that they where very affective in perfect conditions the slightest breath of wind or blade of grass played up holly hell with and suffered from fouling barrels up pretty quick and could be very finicky.
Wsm and the hmr where where the next generation of .17s I’m not sure how popular they are I only know one bloke with one he really likes it and is impressive on paper on a good day haven’t seen it in the field
As for air powered it’s something I’ve started to get interested in manly due to teaching my son to shoot and I’m finding it a hole lot of fun.
I bought a gamo cfx new there very cheap entry level rifle but very surprised how good it shoot me and my son have been spending a lot of time out busting bunnies and are having a great time with it. I one thing I don’t like is the trigger it’s not great but still useable but all so fixable it you feel the need like me. Mine is a .22 but a mate is using the .17 version and it seems just as good for the money
I don’t know if there the pick of the lower end of the market I haven’t had a lot to do with other cheaper brands I’m sure there’s someone here that would much more experience and knowledge than myself
At the end of the day there good cheap fun but I get the feeling they come addictive and you will be out looking and saving the pennies for the higher end stuff.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 11 Apr 2020, 7:52 am

.17wsm I believe is limited in rifle choice to savage bmag and ruger 77/17. As John mentioned there is someone on here who has one that may chime in. He has the ruger and although dearer is the reputed pick of the two.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 11 Apr 2020, 8:04 am

The curse of the 17 Rem has been the variable quality of factory barrels.
If you get a good one then no serious problems.
If you get a rough one then you will see the spectrum of problems usually commented on.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 11 Apr 2020, 8:45 am

I have a HMR and love the round although at times just wish it had a little more push behind it. Great quiet round on foxes and bunnys providing you do your thing and put the shot where it needs to be. I have been recently been playing with the idea of a 17 hornet or 17 rem i know of a few people that have used and that own the 17rem and rate it as a great little round. However it would be a dedicated reload option only.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 11 Apr 2020, 8:58 am

17 WSM is a crackin round and the only reason the HMR still exists is because rifle manufacturers are too lazy to tool up.

The Rugers have a have fantastic barrel, terrible heavy stock trigger and need a bit of spit and polish to get the action moving smoohtly. With a bit of tinkering the Rugers are a very good rifle.

American eagle 20gr is the pick of the ammo ( 5 shot 0.4-0.8 moa) and all thou they've recently stopped production in the US (still heaps around Oz), they will be releasing some new ammo later this year.

Carbon fouling tends only to affect accuracy around the 80-100 shot mark, really easy to clean, couple of wet patches and a few passes of the bronze brush ( I've been told they use Lil gun which is very dirty). Copper fouling is almost non existent with the 17 WSM and Id expect barrel life to be very very long time.

pretty flat out to 200m and Ive seen a mate head shoot stuff out to 250m on windless night. Foxes hate it and it easy to see hits thru the scope as the is SFA recoil or noise.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 11 Apr 2020, 12:11 pm

So what you're saying bill is buy one in a Ruger '77 and a .17 one piece rod and solvent and enjoy?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 11 Apr 2020, 12:24 pm

I purchased from the Ruger catalogue a new .17 lever rifle that was brilliant when I lived on a dairy farm.They are not quiet but deadly accurate
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 11 Apr 2020, 12:45 pm

I'd get a CZ 527 varmint model in 17 hornet and never look back
you will be getting a MUCH higher quality rifle than the ruger 77 with its rear locking and 2 piece bolt and without a doubt the 17 Hornet in a CZ 527 Varmint model will be consistently, far more accurate than the rimfire cartridges,
even when using factory ammo in the 17 Hornet, it is far more accurate on a consistent basis than the rimfire 17's

as straightshooter has pointed out a lot of the superstitions surrounding 17's are just that and because of the variable quality of factory barrels
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 11 Apr 2020, 1:03 pm

Ziege wrote:So what you're saying bill is buy one in a Ruger '77 and a .17 one piece rod and solvent and enjoy?

sorta Ziege, bed it, work the cocking piece, give the trigger a lighter spring and a quick polish and away you go. :lol: :thumbsup:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 11 Apr 2020, 1:07 pm

marksman wrote:I'd get a CZ 527 varmint model in 17 hornet and never look back
you will be getting a MUCH higher quality rifle than the ruger 77 with its rear locking and 2 piece bolt and without a doubt the 17 Hornet in a CZ 527 Varmint model will be consistently, far more accurate than the rimfire cartridges,
even when using factory ammo in the 17 Hornet, it is far more accurate on a consistent basis than the rimfire 17's

as straightshooter has pointed out a lot of the superstitions surrounding 17's are just that and because of the variable quality of factory barrels

havent played with CZ but they are definetly the prettier gun. Not a lot wrong with the mid locking Ruger bolts and the beauty of the 2 piece bolt is that you can easily adjust headspacing with shims if needed. My Ruger 17 Hornet came spot on from the factory, my wsm has a 2 thou shim. :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 11 Apr 2020, 2:08 pm

G'day Zeige...

Cant offer much experience sorry...I dont own a 17...but youve said nothing about centrefire cartridges...is that because you dont want to reload...?

If reloading is in the equation, id get a hornet...hands down...

& i dont want to detract so far from your initial choices, but i had some amazingly great results recently with my 204 shooting reduced loads at hornet velocities...
So good that next time i go out, Im going to use them on foxes as they were more consistant than my full load at 100..
So my 204 also doubles as a hornet--just slip a round in the top & i have a Xmas tree reticle to know the different POI... :thumbsup:

Again...sorry to detract so far from your initial list...just throwing thoughts out there in case they're of use...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 11 Apr 2020, 2:39 pm

Yeah 204 is out, too close in those little digit numbers things for the police to my 223 so they won't go for it
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles