Toz 17 22lr info please

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Toz 17 22lr info please

Post by Khalild » 11 Apr 2020, 9:25 pm

Hey guys and girls. Just picked up a toz 17 off a mate which I plan to bring back to its former glory. Trying to find some info on it however, not having much luck. The only thing I'm finding is that the magazine is worth as much as the gun (If you can find one).
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Toz 17 22lr info please

Post by Stix » 11 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm

cant help you sorry...
But it'd be good to share some pics of it now & show as you progress with it... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Apr 2020, 11:12 am

G'day Kalild,
What do you need to know? The rifle was designed in 1957 and made at the Tula Arms plant until the early 80's, it has a variant called the 17-01 which is a scoped rifle and was replaced by the Toz-78 series. They have anodized bores which don't wear out (mine has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, good as new) The barrels are press fit to the action and pinned, the stocks were usually covered with a terrible laquer finish which can be removed and then oil/wax finished to look much better and as you already know magazines are expensive to replace, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 12 Apr 2020, 11:59 am

There's a manual here- https://s571.photobucket.com/user/Lavri ... t=4&page=1
The magazines are hand fitted to a particular rifle, but some do interchange or can be filed to fit.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Khalild » 12 Apr 2020, 1:16 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Kalild,
What do you need to know? The rifle was designed in 1957 and made at the Tula Arms plant until the early 80's, it has a variant called the 17-01 which is a scoped rifle and was replaced by the Toz-78 series. They have anodized bores which don't wear out (mine has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, good as new) The barrels are press fit to the action and pinned, the stocks were usually covered with a terrible laquer finish which can be removed and then oil/wax finished to look much better and as you already know magazines are expensive to replace, Cheers.

The age was one thing I wanted to try figure out. It has open sights so predates the 80's based on this. Is there a way to figure out year of manufacturing by the serial number?
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 12 Apr 2020, 1:17 pm

Wombat wrote:There's a manual here- https://s571.photobucket.com/user/Lavri ... t=4&page=1
The magazines are hand fitted to a particular rifle, but some do interchange or can be filed to fit.

I saw somwhere the mags for the winchester wildcat fit this rifle. Not too fussed about spare mags yet but would be nice down the line.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 12 Apr 2020, 1:22 pm

Stix wrote:cant help you sorry...
But it'd be good to share some pics of it now & show as you progress with it... :)
ill take a few pics next time I pull it out of the safe. The stock is in pretty good nick. The bluing on the barrel is pretty tarnished and has rust in a few spots. Action is a little sticky so I think a good clean will be the starting point. I also have a bioito mirua over under ill be working on while the ranges are shut.
Last edited by Khalild on 12 Apr 2020, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 12 Apr 2020, 2:49 pm

[/quote]
I saw somwhere the mags for the winchester wildcat fit this rifle. Not too fussed about spare mags yet but would be nice down the line.[/quote]
No they do not. The Winchester is a Toz 78, different altogether. Some Marlin and Sportco mags can be made to fit the Toz17.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Apr 2020, 4:00 pm

G'day Khalild,
Is there a Cyrillic letter before the serial number on the left side of the action? If so it should be able to be dated, Both of my 17's have the letter "M" , which is the same as ours and dates mine to 1972, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Khalild » 12 Apr 2020, 4:52 pm

Wombat wrote:

I saw somwhere the mags for the winchester wildcat fit this rifle. Not too fussed about spare mags yet but would be nice down the line.[/quote]
No they do not. The Winchester is a Toz 78, different altogether. Some Marlin and Sportco mags can be made to fit the Toz17.[/quote]
Good to know. I'll have to take the mag at some point to my lgs and do some comparing.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles