Does rat shot damage rifling?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Does rat shot damage rifling?

Post by tapper » 07 Mar 2014, 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

You know 22 rat shot? The rounds that turn your 22 into a tiny shotgun sort of...

Obviously that's not what the barrel was really designed for or expecting.

Is it possible that shooting rat shot regularly could damage the rifling of a barrel?

Thanks everyone.
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Does rat shot damage rifling?

Post by Chronos » 07 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

i've never used it but given that the shot used is lead it's unlikely it could damage the bore directly but i'd be sure to give it a good clean before firing regular .22 ammo through it simply to remove any excess fouling from carbon or lead

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

Yer I use it a bit, never had a issue. I use it in a heavy barrel savage if it helps.
Member-Deleted

Post by MeccaOz » 08 Mar 2014, 2:34 pm

Ive always been told it pits the rifling, but I have no first hand knowledge. I thought it was actually steel these days Chronos, but I honestly dont know havent looked at it in years.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 08 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Ive always been told it pits the rifling, but I have no first hand knowledge. I thought it was actually steel these days Chronos, but I honestly dont know havent looked at it in years.

I've never seen steel rat shot .22 ammo. I'm pretty sees the Winchester super X rat shot is #12 lead shot but perhaps Jaso or another member here who has used it could confirm....lead or steel?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 08 Mar 2014, 7:42 pm

Chronos wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:Ive always been told it pits the rifling, but I have no first hand knowledge. I thought it was actually steel these days Chronos, but I honestly dont know havent looked at it in years.

I've never seen steel rat shot .22 ammo. I'm pretty sees the Winchester super X rat shot is #12 lead shot but perhaps Jaso or another member here who has used it could confirm....lead or steel?

Chronos

As per Chronous, not yet used the steel BUT the lead "rat shot" has not damaged any .22LR chambered rifle I have used as yet.

Also, I've never seen the steel stuff for sale anywhere.
[bluddy doo gooders, wanting steel, lead goes inert once "rusted" or oxidised & does not cause any further problems, unless disturbed].
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Mar 2014, 6:29 am

It shouldn't damage anything as it's lead. It gives off a good pattern between 10-15 meters. It nails mice very well & redbellys. I have noticed if you use ratshot a few times without cleaning it dose leave the barrel fairly dirty. I've never lost accuracy in my .22 when using the normal ammo.
Member-Deleted

Post by AusC » 11 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm

There are different kinds too.

Some are like a shotgun cartridge and open spilling the shot immediately into the barrel.

There are others where they are tipped with a plastic projectile full of shot which is supposed to come apart as it exits the muzzle.

Look into a few kinds and you might find something that gives you more confidence.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

I've used the winchester crimped ratshot for a few years in my .22 savage(and MANY years before that in a couplke of other rifles), I have never cleaned the rifle AT ALL and it is still ten cent accurate at 50m.

Last year going by the receipts I bought 200 rounds of ratshot and four bricks of subsonics, there are about fifteen ratshots rattling around a box left.

Would i use them in a $3000 anschutz? maybe not but a $300 savage isn't any great loss if the worst happens.

I get sick of people who have never used them giving advice and sayinmg how bad they are.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by DaleH » 11 Mar 2014, 2:34 pm

My Father used them sparingly as he believed that the crimped end opened into the throat of the rifling of the barrel and could damage this area when the case was extracted.
Not too sure of this myself - especially as I have never seen damage and that the brass is way softer than the barrel steel.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Anschutz 1727F price

Post by Arth » 11 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

Warrigul wrote:Would i use them in a $3000 anschutz? maybe not but a $300 savage isn't any great loss if the worst happens.

Two issues ago in the SSAA mag they announced the next issue would have an article on the straight-pull Anschutz 1727F.

I knew the 1416 which is a top rifle is about $1,200, so assumed the straight pull would be about the same.

Wrong...

They're $3,600 :shock:

Forget that :lol:
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles