CZ 515 American lever thumb release

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 515 American lever thumb release

Post by rossfrb » 17 Apr 2020, 1:38 pm

So new my search skills can't find anything online.
But behold on usedguns Magnum Sports (no affiliation) have them advertised for pre-order and state they are Cat A (NSW)
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=172168 - 22 wmr version.
A lever thumb release ala Verney Carron.
Interesting
rb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: CZ 515 American lever thumb release

Post by rossfrb » 17 Apr 2020, 1:41 pm

OK - internet caches must be slowly catching up - suddenly there is now a video from Winchester Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txNgNaGKYgY
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 17 Apr 2020, 4:55 pm

looks interesting rossfrb shame there is no 17 WSM
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 17 Apr 2020, 5:57 pm

They are due mid year in 22LR and 22WMR and come in tactical or traditional variants. A 308 would be cool. :D

tactical.
https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/CZ% ... CAL/104732

wood version
https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/CZ% ... CAN/104731
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rossfrb » 17 Apr 2020, 6:56 pm

Interesting that CZ see fit to release their offerings in 22lr and 22 wmr, (no 17 HMR?) whereas the Tikka T1x is offered in 22lr and 17 hmr - no 22 wmr that I can see? I can only guess the 2 companies have different views on the 17hmr and 22 wmr round's longevity.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 17 Apr 2020, 6:57 pm

Soooooo ugly......even the wood version is hideous
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 17 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

Shut up and take my money !
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 17 Apr 2020, 8:01 pm

The little magazine looks ridiculous. Looks like one of those micro penises just barely hanging out. QLD and a few other states can have unlimited Cat A so a nice aftermarket 25-40 round magazine would be nice.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Apr 2020, 8:45 pm

I imagine they are a simple blowback design. That likely explains why there is no 17hmr which would require some sort of delayed blowback.

Any type of centrefire caliber would require a gas piston setup like the verney carron.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Apr 2020, 5:45 am

No-one currently manufactures larger detachable penis.
Or bump stock.
However, you can get a pic rail grenade launcher that will fit up nicely.
We do live in strange times.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 22 Apr 2020, 5:01 pm

I've ordered one... i'm a sucker for CZ. I loved the A22R, but i can't get by the cheap plastic feel it has. Rock solid performer, but it just doesn't feel nice if that makes sense? Really looking forward to see how the CZ runs. My only wonderings are around the polymer lower that it uses. Alloy receivers don't bother me as plenty have stood the test of time before (especially in rimfire rifles) but i'm hoping they have something between the polymer lower and the bolt, as there isn't much there with the 512s.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 01 May 2020, 10:55 pm

Oh CZ - as much as i love the marque they seem hell bent these days on making rimfires and have put their centerfires squarely in the garage!! The old CZ550 range was one of the best out there around 10 years ago - but then it was replaced with the 557 .......and even now that range has a pricetag north of $2000 ....

The new 515 is different - and i am sure lots of folks will hand over their cash .......but for me a bolt action rimfire is the only way to travel ............

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 May 2020, 6:58 am

Looks interesting but wood version omg so horrible.

And the tactical version needs a thicker varmint style barrel.

With a 5 shot over a 10 shot magazine as per pictures the rifle will actually look pretty good
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Larry » 02 May 2020, 10:01 am

InisBineest wrote:I've ordered one... i'm a sucker for CZ. I loved the A22R, but i can't get by the cheap plastic feel it has. Rock solid performer, but it just doesn't feel nice if that makes sense? Really looking forward to see how the CZ runs. My only wonderings are around the polymer lower that it uses. Alloy receivers don't bother me as plenty have stood the test of time before (especially in rimfire rifles) but i'm hoping they have something between the polymer lower and the bolt, as there isn't much there with the 512s.

What version of the A22 did you get. I got the A22 Varmint blue it has a very nice plastic stock IMHO. it is not a rubbery flexible type like some but a hard sturdy feel and the shoulder feel is really nice. Also I like the design of the butt of the stock.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Larry » 02 May 2020, 10:05 am

Sergeant Hartman wrote:Looks interesting but wood version omg so horrible.

And the tactical version needs a thicker varmint style barrel.

With a 5 shot over a 10 shot magazine as per pictures the rifle will actually look pretty good

But who wants a 5 shot mag in a fast repeating 22? The 10 shot mag in a A22 can be emptied in under ? very fast. probably in about 30 seconds or less.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by InisBineest » 03 May 2020, 10:03 am

Larry wrote:What version of the A22 did you get. I got the A22 Varmint blue it has a very nice plastic stock IMHO. it is not a rubbery flexible type like some but a hard sturdy feel and the shoulder feel is really nice. Also I like the design of the butt of the stock.

I just got the standard blued version. Would have loved the stainless but i didn't have the extra funds at the time. The stock is sturdy, (just black plastic) and i've contemplated putting a Boydes on it. Honestly if the CZ hadn't come out i still would have. But i've owned man CZs before and i'm very much a fan of their work. That and if you look at my firearms, they are a bit eclectic, and that's just how i like it!

As for the mag on the Savage, its finicky but it works. That said, even in spite of the weird look in the 515, i prefer the CZ rimfire mags to load. That and they will fit my 455 as well is a plus for me. Also i'm a big fan of Pic rails since the Warwick, i run an Olight for spotlighting and its nice being able to wack it on and off as i need. Should be good for wacking rabbits at night.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 May 2020, 7:25 pm

Ahhh now i want one of these... anyone found any reviews.... its strange the yanks haven't got anything about it.

Or maybe its cuz this is the poor cousins wanabe semi auto
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 23 May 2020, 8:21 pm

Hard to find a review when they have not arrived yet mate. Everywhere else in the world has self loading 22s so this will not be a world wide hit.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 26 May 2020, 6:24 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:Ahhh now i want one of these... anyone found any reviews.... its strange the yanks haven't got anything about it.

Reviews on the CZ 512 are plentiful, and that is the closest thing you will get to these as they appear to be based of them.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bcr83 » 27 May 2020, 7:21 am

InisBineest wrote:
Sergeant Hartman wrote:Ahhh now i want one of these... anyone found any reviews.... its strange the yanks haven't got anything about it.

Reviews on the CZ 512 are plentiful, and that is the closest thing you will get to these as they appear to be based of them.

Yep exactly. I ordered one about 2 hours after it was advertised :D now I've been researching 512 reviews as well as accessories.... Just bought a 15rd mag for it but comes with a 10rd
bcr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 08 Sep 2020, 9:18 pm

Mine is (read FINALLY) at the shop and on its way to my local LGS! I'll do a bit of an initial review once I get my hands on it!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 17 Sep 2020, 9:53 pm

I spontaneously bought a tactical version in 22lr on Wednesday all going well might be able to pick it up on my way home from work tomorrow. Question is how many 22's is too many 22's, I will have 6 now.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Sep 2020, 10:19 pm

I love the concept of these thumb release rifles but unfortunately I'm yet to see one I like the look of :(

Hurry up Winchester and make one that looks like the 10/22
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dpskipper » 13 Nov 2020, 11:13 pm

Anyone know how to make the tactical version NSW compliant? Can the stock be swapped out?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 15 Nov 2020, 9:37 am

dpskipper wrote:Anyone know how to make the tactical version NSW compliant? Can the stock be swapped out?

I was under the impression that the stock is just pinned for NSW.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 17 Nov 2020, 12:00 am

Mattraff wrote:I was under the impression that the stock is just pinned for NSW.

I wonder if this can be done DIY. I'd like to take mine into NSW.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Nov 2020, 3:54 am

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Feb 2022, 7:25 am

It now appears the CZ 515 has been discontinued along with the savage A22/17 about a year ago. I wonder if this is due to sales, supply issues for our small market or other forces at play for this style of action.
I have the CZ is 22mag and it's my favourite gun. Very close to the good old days for plinking anyway.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by noneyabussiness » 11 Feb 2022, 8:21 am

MontyShooter wrote:It now appears the CZ 515 has been discontinued along with the savage A22/17 about a year ago. I wonder if this is due to sales, supply issues for our small market or other forces at play for this style of action.
I have the CZ is 22mag and it's my favourite gun. Very close to the good old days for plinking anyway.

um... I got my new American cz515 about 2 weeks ago ( absolutely love it by the way) , the tactical version has literally sold out its next order as I was told by gun shop ( central Queensland) , where did you read / see that ??
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 11 Feb 2022, 8:27 am

noneyabussiness wrote:where did you read / see that ??

the 512 has been discontinued so its only a matter of time before the 515. I suspect the 515 was born out of spare parts and leftover tooling from the 512. once thats run out why would they keep the production line open for the minuscule australian market?
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles