Copper .22 ammo shortens barrel life compared to lead?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Copper .22 ammo shortens barrel life compared to lead?

Post by halberg » 11 Mar 2014, 10:25 am

G'day,

Does anyone have any feed back on longer term use of copper projectiles in a .22 vs lead ones?

Obviously let bullets are more pliable and will have some give in them, more than copper anyway?

I figure if the bullet is harder on the barrel the life must be less?

What does everyone think?
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Copper .22 ammo shortens barrel life compared to lead?

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Mar 2014, 10:45 am

There waxed.
Member-Deleted

Post by Lorgar » 11 Mar 2014, 11:11 am

Yep, the projectiles are still lubricated.

It's not lubed lead vs rough copper or anything like that ;)

Still people getting thousands of accurate rounds out of their 22's with copper projectiles and no cleaning.

I say just shoot what shoots best, copper or otherwise.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 11 Mar 2014, 11:15 am

And more, 10s of thousands with no problem.

A .22 isn't exactly a furnace of barrel destroying energy ;)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 11:41 am

Are you talking about the copper looking .22LR bullets. If these are the ones that are sometimes called copper plated or really it's a copper wash. It's extremely thin and easily scraped off and I believe used to reduce the amount of fouling caused by plain lead. A bit like the different waxes used to coat bullets, some you would not know are there where others feel very sticky and thick.

I don't believe any of these coatings have any effect on the increase in barrel wear and one would be no harder than the other.

Certainly not the same thing as a Copper Jacketed Bullet.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by halberg » 11 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

Apollo,

Errm... Just regular .22 copper ammo like you get off the shelf at wherever. Winchester Bushmaster or whatever.

Just asking in general really, I assumed a copper .22 was much the same as a centre fire bullet but I could obviously be wrong?
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

I'm pretty sure you mean the normal copper coated .22LR ammo. Some boxes list it as copper plated and as I said other refer to it as a copper wash. Really, it's like giving the lead bullets a spray with paint. It is really thin.

Actually I do remember some time back for a bit of fun I cleaned my Brno using a Copper Solvent (Sweets) and from memory did not see a trace of copper come out of the bore. Got some much better Copper Solvents these days so for a bit of fun I should give it clean, hasn't been cleaned for some time but then again I have only been using the pure lead bullets.

I never have treated them any different and basically I seldom came across .22LR ammo that wasn't copper coated, not until I started using sub velocity target ammo which from my collection was all just wax coated lead. Having mostly Brno rifles over the past 50 years I think I found they all like Winchester Power Points (copper coated) and that's all I ever purchased, in bulk. Even though my 1965 Brno Model 2 has fired many many thousands of these copper coated bullets over the years, given a clean then change to plain lead target grade sub velocity and it becomes a very accurate target rifle.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles