Is Lithgow LA101 too heavy for hunting?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Is Lithgow LA101 too heavy for hunting?

Post by Bodacious » 27 May 2020, 5:42 pm

Hi All,
I'm getting back into hunting and am looking at getting a .17HMR for cats, hares and foxes. I mostly like to walk shoot during the day. I really love the Lithgow LA101 but everytime I shoulder it at the dealers I think it might be too heavy to trudge up and down hills with. I'm 86kgs so not too small. Can anyone on here who uses one to hunt with please advise me on whether it is too heavy to walk around with? My other option will be a Tikka1X.
Thanks for any help
Bodacious
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Is Lithgow LA101 too heavy for hunting?

Post by in2anity » 28 May 2020, 8:18 am

Put it this way, once you've carried a 4kg+ rifle all day, only to do the same with closer to a 3kg rifle you'll never go back to the heavier one. Nonetheless the naked la101 is closer to 3kg than 4kg, just don't go nuts with the scope. I love the little VX-3 2.5-8x36mm as a hunting scope.

The la101 is not exactly what i imagine as a "light" rifle however, whereas the t1x most certainly is.Outside of becnhrest shooting, both shoot very similar groups.

I've done it a few times before, but I won't take my la101 out walking anymore, a bit too heavy for my liking.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2020, 8:38 am

I remember when I was training hard for an upcoming tournament (over 20 years now) and my coach told me to carry a brick with me every where I went, when I wasn’t training.
That brick weighed under 1 kg but omg - the impact was insane. Swapping from hand to hand, I even bought a bum bag to put it in so I could carry it hands free...you won’t notice the difference in a 3 - 4kg rifle for the first few hours...but post that? Lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bodacious » 28 May 2020, 1:24 pm

Thanks for your replies. You have supported what I thought. Tikka it is then
Bodacious
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 28 May 2020, 6:23 pm

I just purchased a Sako Finnfire II in 17hmr. Local dealer had an excellent price...couldn't refuse. The Tikka is from the same factory so the quality is there.
The Sako is very light and for an old fart like me, that's a good thing. Whatever you get, have fun with it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by FNQ » 28 May 2020, 10:00 pm

Go the Lithgow.
Big fan of buying Australian
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 29 May 2020, 9:41 am

FNQ wrote:Go the Lithgow.
Big fan of buying Australian

Lovely rifle, particularly the walnut (which is what I have). And solid; feels like a "serious" gun. The high euro-style comb is also ergonomic and works well with a higher obj scope; I shot mine a lot from standing, and it just "feels right". The heft is actually good in dampening the wobbles. On the contrary, to me a very light rifle seems too shaky and "floaty" from standing; the wobbles are amplified. In this application, I like a gun closer to 4kg than 3kg.

When I picked up the t1x, it just reminded me of cheap, light, plasticy. Felt like a bit of a toy after I was used to the la101. Nevertheless the triggers are good on them (better than the lithgow), and by all reports they seem group well. They would be absolutely perfect for bunny bashing.

FWIW I don't subscribe to the whole "crossover" concept. Better to do one thing exceptionally, rather than a lot of things averagely. The t1x is a hunting rifle, and it seems to nail that brief.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by womble » 29 May 2020, 12:46 pm

Bit heavy if you're a girl
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 29 May 2020, 12:49 pm

Posting your weight means nothing if you dont post height mate sorry.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by poid » 29 May 2020, 3:15 pm

My Tikka lite comes in at 3.6kg carry weight, my LA101 comes in at 4kg. You'd think there isn't much in it, but the Tikka feels light when you pick it up and the Lithgow feels quite a bit heavier. I do wish Lithgow would move away from the "crossover" and provide light and heavy rifles instead, the weight was why I went with a Tikka instead of the Lithgow for my hunting rifle.

That said the LA101 is a great little gun and I'm happy to walk around the farm with mine. If I was wandering the high country I might have a different opinion!
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 29 May 2020, 7:47 pm

womble wrote:Bit heavy if you're a girl

What he said.

What sort of couch potato couldn't carry the Lithgow for a 30 kilometre walk up hill? I am far from my fittest but I will take your bets that I couldn't do it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 29 May 2020, 10:05 pm

Is that some kind of bait to cause a pissing contest?

Work smart, not hard.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 29 May 2020, 11:30 pm

Are you saying the average guy is not capable of carrying this rimfire around for a day? Unless you have some sort of injury I cannot see it being a problem.
Apologies to any couch potatoes who were offended by my remark.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 30 May 2020, 3:35 am

SCJ429 wrote:Are you saying the average guy is not capable of carrying this rimfire around for a day? Unless you have some sort of injury I cannot see it being a problem.
Apologies to any couch potatoes who were offended by my remark.
What sort of couch potato couldn't carry the Lithgow for a 30 kilometre walk up hill? I am far from my fittest but I will take your bets that I couldn't do it.[/quote]

Seeings as you said you couldn’t do it ? Ummm...
Last edited by TassieTiger on 30 May 2020, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by womble » 30 May 2020, 3:53 am

Mate i could carry it with a backpack full of rocks.
I’d be crossing rivers with it between my teeth.
I would be crawling through mud holding it over my head.
Assuming i could find some mud that is. But if i did for sure.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 30 May 2020, 8:27 am

I'm so offended, I can't go on.

If you guys wanna carry a heavy rifle and a backpack of rocks up the 30km hill, all power to you. Me, I'll carry the light rifle and a bumb bag with a couple of essentials, thanks very much.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by xcb » 02 Jun 2020, 7:26 pm

I'd go for the LA101 in a laminate stock personally over the plastic Tikka T1X. If I found I wanted it lighter for some reason, I'd hollow out the buttstock and drill some holes on the inside of the forestock to lighten it. I really love the high comb on the Lithgows.
xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 03 Jun 2020, 2:06 am

Borrowed a mates LA101 in .17HMR and am absolutely in love. Took it for a shoot at my mates farm on Sunday and wow. What an incredible piece.

The heft definitely fatigues you easily when shooting off the shoulder, but how many shots in succession will you really ever take off it anyway? And besides it only makes it a better bench rifle for the range and target shooting, albeit not your application.

The stock is so beautiful and high comb is a godsend. The machining and workmanship is impeccable. Three lugs on a rimfire bolt is unheard of and such a luxury. The bolt itself is silky smooth and operates wonderfully. All this, and it's Australian made. Can't wait to take delivery of mine.

Goodluck with the Tikka. I'm sure it will serve you very well and be the better rifle for your use case.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jun 2020, 7:28 am

Once on the South Island hunting thar my mate carried a bull barrelled 300 RUM on a lam Tim stock. During ascents he was always 20 m behind me ...but he did shoot well after he caught his breath
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Jun 2020, 8:09 am

moudzj wrote:The heft definitely fatigues you easily when shooting off the shoulder, but how many shots in succession will you really ever take off it anyway? And besides it only makes it a better bench rifle for the range and target shooting, albeit not your application.

Agreed. Trick is to get the shot off quickly - in under 4 seconds. Else take the weight off your arms, and start over. That's what you should drill. I use a metronome app on my phone for timed practise. With the lithgow, I can plink ~150 in a session before I'm pooped, that's putting the gun down between shots.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 03 Jun 2020, 8:42 am

in2anity wrote:
moudzj wrote:The heft definitely fatigues you easily when shooting off the shoulder, but how many shots in succession will you really ever take off it anyway? And besides it only makes it a better bench rifle for the range and target shooting, albeit not your application.

Agreed. Trick is to get the shot off quickly - in under 4 seconds. Else take the weight off your arms, and start over. That's what you should drill. I use a metronome app on my phone for timed practise. With the lithgow, I can plink ~150 in a session before I'm pooped.

I'll be sure to try this out. Thanks. Wondering how you dry fire the Lithgow? I've really been avoiding in case of firing pin damage... Also been avoiding putting spent cases in just incase they get stuck in the chamber. Any advice?
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Jun 2020, 8:51 am

moudzj wrote:I'll be sure to try this out. Thanks. Wondering how you dry fire the Lithgow? I've really been avoiding in case of firing pin damage... Also been avoiding putting spent cases in just incase they get stuck in the chamber. Any advice?

The spent shell trick is the best, but i'll only hit the same spot maybe ten times. Then there's the plastic snap caps; but they chip, so you need to rotate them every few hits. I wouldn't worry too much about a case getting stuck - worst case you just gently tap it out with a cleaning rod.

I'm currently dry-fire drilling with a centerfire which alleviates the problem.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by moudzj » 03 Jun 2020, 11:02 pm

in2anity wrote:
moudzj wrote:I'll be sure to try this out. Thanks. Wondering how you dry fire the Lithgow? I've really been avoiding in case of firing pin damage... Also been avoiding putting spent cases in just incase they get stuck in the chamber. Any advice?

The spent shell trick is the best, but i'll only hit the same spot maybe ten times. Then there's the plastic snap caps; but they chip, so you need to rotate them every few hits. I wouldn't worry too much about a case getting stuck - worst case you just gently tap it out with a cleaning rod.

I'm currently dry-fire drilling with a centerfire which alleviates the problem.

Good info... thanks for that mate.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by allan » 04 Jun 2020, 11:33 am

moudzj wrote:Three lugs on a rimfire bolt is unheard of and such a luxury. The bolt itself is silky smooth and operates wonderfully.

My Anschutz 1761 has a three lug bolt - It would go down the road before I even thought of parting with my LA101's - I've been impressed with these rifles since I first sighted the schematics prior to release and owning a couple has only confirmed that observation. :!:
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles