Stirling 14P

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Stirling 14P

Post by luvmeadler » 07 Jun 2020, 9:00 pm

Hey guys, Anyone know much about the Stirling model 14P as mine has just done a trigger mechanism i think.
After about 8 shots on our shoot yesterday when ejecting a spent cartridge the bolt slid straight out and the trigger is stuck in the firing position.
Can anyone give me any info about these rifles and what could possibly be wrong with it.... Cheers
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Stirling 14P

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2020, 10:18 pm

sounds to me like a spring has sprung :unknown:
l would be pulling it down if you can or it may be cheaper to buy another settup, rebels have them in stock
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/stirling
let us know how you go with it :drinks:

and by the way l luvmem98s :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by luvmeadler » 07 Jun 2020, 10:27 pm

Thanks marksman, I did pull it down today but I'm not sure what the problem is as i cant find a parts manual for that rifle......
Like you said, it may be cheaper to buy another settup..... Cheers
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jun 2020, 10:27 am

Don't take this personally but the Stirling as a rifle makes a great garden stake. I am not sure that I would spend $100 repairing one. Perhaps it is a great opportunity to upgrade to a better rimfire?
:drinks:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by luvmeadler » 08 Jun 2020, 10:42 am

Hey SCJ all good, soon as i bought it i knew it was'nt what i really wanted, it was an impulse buy at the time but i wont make that mistake again....
Just bought a trigger mechanism for it from rebels, don't like the idea of having a rifle i cant use when i want to... even if it is junk lol.....
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jun 2020, 11:50 am

I wasn't trying to offend, but from experience there are better rifles out their which are far more pleasant to shoot. I had a Striling in the 80s and put about 20,000 rounds through it and shot heaps of foxes. These days you can get a cheap rimfire from Ruger or Tikka that are miles better.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 12:43 pm

Rifles are great...period...!!...getting a cheap one & being albe to fix it up cheaply is a bonus i rekon...

Better to learn on a cheap mistake than an expensive one...& the experience you'll get from it will be great too...!!

Have fun fixing it up & getting it pinging again...& im with you mate, having a rifle sit there not doing anything is silly...(so i should stop waffling & get on & sort my Brno...)
Keep us posted how it comes along... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by luvmeadler » 08 Jun 2020, 4:30 pm

No offense taken SCJ, I knew it might be a bit of a trouble maker as i did get it reasonably cheap so i guess ya get what ya pay for.... The missus and the lad put about 800 rounds through before she went bung.... i mainly got it for them to play with while i play with the adler and the swede mauser but i had some fun with it as well so cant complain to much. So Stix, what are the bruno's like, they any good?
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 5:03 pm

Yes adler lover...theyre great...!!

I think they're one of the best little 22's one can buy...!!

See if you can do what OldBlokes done & get a dinged up cheapie with a good barrel...!!

Where abouts you to...??
Id be willing to throw mine back together & let you have a feel if time & circumstances allow...although its not accurate at the moment...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by luvmeadler » 08 Jun 2020, 6:04 pm

Hey Stix, Yeah I figured the barrel is in quite good condition and its quite accurate for an oldie, i probably would have scrapped it if the rifling was worn out and did'nt hit the side of a barn............ Would love to try the bruno, :mrgreen: never shot one, I live around the Two Wells area, cant shoot around here but i know a bloke that lets us use his property near Robertstown........ How bout yourself?
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 7:43 pm

Im a half hour south of you...

Ill see if i can get time to pull it out this week & see what it needs...cant even remember what i did with the scope mounts bloody hell...!!...might have given them to someone in a moment of being too nice... :roll:
To get it more accurate I need a piece of Aluminium tube cut to length that i havent been able to do accurately enough ( i dont have a lathe) but i should shoot without it--just not accurate...

Anyway...Long way to go to ping off a few 22's though...this bloke happy to let a few foxes go...?...or hares---i want a couple of hares to confirm a beaut pie recipe i did a while back wasnt a fluke... :) :lol:

Anyway...chat the rest via PM hey... :thumbsup:

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by luvmeadler » 09 Jun 2020, 5:35 pm

Hey Stix, no rush will be a while before i can get out for shooting session due to work commitments; besides its getting a bit chilly now for an ol fella....
Might have to wait for the warmer months i think :lol: :lol: :lol:
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by luvmeadler » 17 Jun 2020, 1:42 pm

Hey marksman you wanted to know how it went so letting ya know the ol stirling is back in the game....
Scored a trigger setup from rebels, fitted today and hey presto its all good to go. :clap:
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by marksman » 17 Jun 2020, 6:15 pm

very happy to hear it :drinks:

they are an honest rifle and can be quite accurate :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by luvmeadler » 20 Jun 2020, 6:23 pm

So been surfing around the net looking to score a spare bolt but dont seem to be a many around.......
Just wandering anyone here got one laying around they dont need.......... :thumbsup:
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by marksman » 20 Jun 2020, 7:07 pm

you cant just swap the bolts over, the have to be headspaced by a gunsmith to fit properly and not blow your head off :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by luvmeadler » 20 Jun 2020, 8:02 pm

Yeah figured I'd have to get a gunsmith to check it out before i went any further...... Probably be easier to buy another 22 than muck around to much,
Cheers for the heads up :)
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Jun 2020, 10:54 am

If you do get stuck, I have one.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by luvmeadler » 22 Jun 2020, 6:52 pm

Hey SCJ........... PM sent
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jun 2020, 7:09 pm

I have replied to you. I think the complete rifle isn't worth much so I couldn't ask you to pay for a bolt.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by luvmeadler » 22 Jun 2020, 8:19 pm

Number sent.
luvmeadler
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles