Ruger American Accuracy

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger American Accuracy

Post by Ziege » 08 Jun 2020, 10:54 pm

So, my little 2yo Ruger American, had probably 4000+ rounds through it by now, and it keeps surprising me with accuracy, originally it was a bitch, it loved CCI standard and Winchester T22, but now it's in love with federal bulk ammo (my wallet is happy about that), I've been knocking off a lot of pest birds in plantations/orchards and it's just never ceasing to hit even out at stupid distances like 150m on targets under a couple inches wide. Having a great time with it. However it's only accurate when dirty as, if I clean it, it will shoot way less tight groups than if it's fouled up. Anyone else get better accuracy fouled?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Re: Ruger American Accuracy

Post by moudzj » 08 Jun 2020, 11:38 pm

Ziege wrote:So, my little 2yo Ruger American, had probably 4000+ rounds through it by now, and it keeps surprising me with accuracy, originally it was a bitch, it loved CCI standard and Winchester T22, but now it's in love with federal bulk ammo (my wallet is happy about that), I've been knocking off a lot of pest birds in plantations/orchards and it's just never ceasing to hit even out at stupid distances like 150m on targets under a couple inches wide. Having a great time with it. However it's only accurate when dirty as, if I clean it, it will shoot way less tight groups than if it's fouled up. Anyone else get better accuracy fouled?

This seems to be a very well documented and agreed upon outcome/result. Fouling, apparently, fills up microscopic imperfections in the bore. Its quite interesting, I think the only thing keeping us cleaning barrels is that carbon build up is hygroscopic, and therefore a recipe for rust. Otherwise, we would really have no reason to clean until the grime gets quite bad :p
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 08 Jun 2020, 11:48 pm

My larger calibre rifles don't like fouling, the 223 doesn't seem to care and the 270 is at times fussy, but the 300 hates a dirty bore.

The 22 used to love a clean bore, but as time has gone by the cleaner it is the ****** it shoots, a few hundred rounds and the group's with federal bulk 39gr jacketed rounds shrink from 1.5" @100 to .7" @100. Fracking awesome accuracy for a rimfire
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jun 2020, 7:41 am

How many fouling shots do you need to fire before accuracy returns?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 09 Jun 2020, 8:02 am

What magazine do you use mate? CCI seems to work best in lucky 13 25round mag. Other brands can have feeding issues.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 1:38 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How many fouling shots do you need to fire before accuracy returns?

Sorta graduates in, as little as 5 sees it sure up, over 20 and it's tac driving again.

Stays that way indefinitely.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 1:40 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:What magazine do you use mate? CCI seems to work best in lucky 13 25round mag. Other brands can have feeding issues.

Yeah I don't have too many feed issues with the lucky 13 25 shot mag, btw anyone got one they don't want I'd gladly take it.

Mostly issues arise when one or two rounds aren't fully pushed in and others are stacked on top leading to them sitting flat, I give the mag a tap against my palm and it resolves straight away.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2020, 1:52 pm

Ziege wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:How many fouling shots do you need to fire before accuracy returns?

Sorta graduates in, as little as 5 sees it sure up, over 20 and it's tac driving again.

How many rounds is indefinitely?
I clean the bore in the realm of 800 to 1500rds when it starts to open the groups consistently.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 09 Jun 2020, 2:04 pm

Ziege wrote:
AussieCapitalist wrote:What magazine do you use mate? CCI seems to work best in lucky 13 25round mag. Other brands can have feeding issues.

Yeah I don't have too many feed issues with the lucky 13 25 shot mag, btw anyone got one they don't want I'd gladly take it.

Mostly issues arise when one or two rounds aren't fully pushed in and others are stacked on top leading to them sitting flat, I give the mag a tap against my palm and it resolves straight away.

They were selling for $130 before lucky 13 shut down, now the handful of ones left in stock were selling for $290 last I saw about a month ago. I think that shows how popular they are as a magazine. It is hard to import 25 round mags so we need more local production to bypass customs.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 09 Jun 2020, 4:50 pm

Yeah this is how my little 22LR shoots. Clean its garbage, throw 50 rounds down it and she settles in to be a nice little johnny-on-the-spotter.

I'm getting a Ruger American Rach shortly, I dare say I'll have to have it foul up a tad to shoot tighter groups. Thanks for the tip!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 8:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Ziege wrote:

How many rounds is indefinitely?
I clean the bore in the realm of 800 to 1500rds when it starts to open the groups consistently.

Well I'm upto my 3rd box of 825 rounds of federal 39 grainers and about to open the 4th. And it's still tac driving
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 8:34 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
Ziege wrote:

They were selling for $130 before lucky 13 shut down, now the handful of ones left in stock were selling for $290 last I saw about a month ago. I think that shows how popular they are as a magazine. It is hard to import 25 round mags so we need more local production to bypass customs.

Yeah I dragged my feet on them before should've got about three of them, never mind s**t happens
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 8:36 pm

boingk wrote:Yeah this is how my little 22LR shoots. Clean its garbage, throw 50 rounds down it and she settles in to be a nice little johnny-on-the-spotter.

I'm getting a Ruger American Rach shortly, I dare say I'll have to have it foul up a tad to shoot tighter groups. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah the old mans Brno #2 likes a good clean and so did the semis when we had em. So was amazed how well it shoots when it's gummed up with crud
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 10 Jun 2020, 8:30 am

My 22LR needs a few rounds down the barrel after cleaning to find accuracy, otherwise my other rifles shoot nice when clean.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles