22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22lr

Post by shovtel » 16 Jul 2020, 1:50 pm

Im looking to get my son a 22.

So far, my options are either a new Tika T1X, a new Sako Finnfire (there was just a new one on usedguns for $1500) or a second hand Sako P94S sporter (used guns $1650).

The Tika is a little cheaper... and its plastic - not that theres anything wrong with that but I kind of liked the idea of getting him a nice wooden stock for his first rifle.

Which then brings me to the Finnfire and the P94S. Is anyone able to shed any light on the differences between the two?
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: 22lr

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2020, 4:14 pm

I could have just bought a new 22 lr for my grandson. But I decided to buy a "project." It will be something we did together. Not just about cheap. When I'm long gone it will still be our project. It will in the long run be of much greater value than a new rifle, and I'm not talking $.

Just something to consider.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rapid » 16 Jul 2020, 5:27 pm

Sako (either one) every day of the week when compared to the T1X.
The Tika has the synthetic stock which like you I'm not a fan of, perhaps good if you're expecting it to be beat up in the field. But the accuracy & wood of the Sako would be a keeper that he might even be able to pass down. Another great rifle to consider is the Steyr Zephyr ii - just read the reviews online. Beautiful finish all round, damn accurate, won a couple of US awards and only around the $1,300.00 mark new.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Jul 2020, 5:59 pm

I saw Brendan Atkinson with a Sako P94S at the range once, so if is good enough for him...

Anschutz also make some excellent rimfires and if you can get one with a Mienster grade stock, very beautiful too.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 16 Jul 2020, 6:03 pm

+1 for the P94S.
Forget the tikka.
A Sako is a little bit special, will give great service and memories.
and he will be able to pass it to his son. or daughter.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 16 Jul 2020, 7:45 pm

How old is your son and what will he be shooting? 50m prone/benchrest targets?, metallic silhouette? hunting? plinking? some combination?
Will he be using a scope or open sights?

There are lots of great rifle choices in 22LR but you should be clear on what it will be used for before making a shortlist.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 17 Jul 2020, 12:47 am

I bought a P94s varmint in 1997 I ended up selling it in about 2002 for slightly more than I payed for it. It was no more accurate than my CZ 452. It was a nice rifle but nothing special. It had a very cheap feeling and light plastic magazine and I'm amazed at the prices being asked for them now as from memory it cost me about $650. My choice for a new quality 22 would be a Lithgow LA101, built like a tank and made in Australia.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 17 Jul 2020, 4:29 am

Mattraff wrote:I bought a P94s varmint in 1997 I ended up selling it in about 2002 for slightly more than I payed for it. It was no more accurate than my CZ 452. It was a nice rifle but nothing special. It had a very cheap feeling and light plastic magazine and I'm amazed at the prices being asked for them now as from memory it cost me about $650. My choice for a new quality 22 would be a Lithgow LA101, built like a tank and made in Australia.

+ 1
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 25 Jul 2020, 4:40 pm

Can't go wrong with a CZ - I prefer the older models but that's just me. Blued steel and walnut - will definitely outlive the original owner.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles