Have you ever regretted spending "just a few more bucks""

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Have you ever regretted spending "just a few more bucks"

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 03 Aug 2020, 6:01 am

Yeah I was going to buy a 455, then a ruger 7722 came on special for a few hundred more than the 455 so I bought it because the wood was beautiful and my mate bought the 455. Straight out of the box the 455 shot groups half the size of the 7722 with every ammo we tried and had a better trigger.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 06 Aug 2020, 1:29 pm

Flyer, what distance are those groups? 50m? Also, how does the 17hmr buck the wind at 100m? Any 100m groups?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Aug 2020, 2:18 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:I have decided on the cz457 in an mdt chassis from the Adelaide gun shop for now. Will look into the 455/annie/vudoo later on.

Price is only $100 more than the east coast shops and id like to support local when i can.

Have enquired about howa 6.5 creedmoor and 300wm in mdt chassis.

Expensive bloody hobby this one haha

Be careful with the MDT / Howa interface...search on the forum. Mine is currently at a smith getting sorted due to machining issues...or if you encounter similar to me, might be more expensive than you planned lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 06 Aug 2020, 2:30 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:Hi all, while looking at .22lr options and as with all hobby related purchases I started at 1 price point, then found something else for "just a few more bucks" and so the cycle continues until I'm at double the original budget and then I slap myself with reality and end up back where I started.

So the question is- even though it may have hurt your pocket at the time, have you ever really regretted spending "just a few more bucks" on your guns.

(Been looking at the cz455 carbon mdt/457 mdt, tikka tx1 and then sort of going ridiculous looking at a vudoo barreled action in a chassis. 99% target use, all suggestions/info/links are greatly appreciated)

Cheers

I only have one thing to say ......

20200806_142817.jpg
20200806_142817.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 07 Aug 2020, 2:51 am

in2anity wrote:Flyer, what distance are those groups? 50m? Also, how does the 17hmr buck the wind at 100m? Any 100m groups?

The red dots are at 50m outdoors and the black and whites are at a 35m underground range. I don't have any 100m group shots in my computer, sorry, but the hummer shoots pretty well. The Weihrauch will shoot one-hole groups at 50m with SK Match if I do my part.

The 17hmr FMJs have the same BC as a round-nose 22lr according to CCI, so if the FMJs travel roughly twice as fast as a 22, then on paper they should should have roughly half the windage. As you know, cross-wind resistance is a function of BC and velocity, not bullet weight, so the 17hmr is probably not as bad as some think.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigpete » 09 Aug 2020, 6:15 am

Flyer wrote:
in2anity wrote:Flyer, what distance are those groups? 50m? Also, how does the 17hmr buck the wind at 100m? Any 100m groups?

The red dots are at 50m outdoors and the black and whites are at a 35m underground range. I don't have any 100m group shots in my computer, sorry, but the hummer shoots pretty well. The Weihrauch will shoot one-hole groups at 50m with SK Match if I do my part.

The 17hmr FMJs have the same BC as a round-nose 22lr according to CCI, so if the FMJs travel roughly twice as fast as a 22, then on paper they should should have roughly half the windage. As you know, cross-wind resistance is a function of BC and velocity, not bullet weight, so the 17hmr is probably not as bad as some think.

It really isn't that bad. In real world tests I found the 17hmr to drift a LOT less than a 22lr over the same distance. Over 70m there was about a 2" difference between the 2. No,I don't know the wind speed etc,what I do know was it was constant and the 22 would have missed a lot of head shots whereas the 17 would have hit every time.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2020, 12:49 pm

bigpete wrote:It really isn't that bad. In real world tests I found the 17hmr to drift a LOT less than a 22lr over the same distance. Over 70m there was about a 2" difference between the 2. No,I don't know the wind speed etc,what I do know was it was constant and the 22 would have missed a lot of head shots whereas the 17 would have hit every time.

Thanks BP - just mulling over a few different "novelty" options. Sounds like it'd be fun to try in a comp, within reason. 22lr get's blown to buggery at 100m on those super blustery days, partly because the shooter does too (from standing).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jakethefake » 19 Aug 2020, 8:55 pm

I tend to lean the other way on this issue. I always try to spend in proportion to how much enjoyment/value I'll get out the purchase. Most of the time I find a bigger spend isn't going to bring me a whole lot of extra enjoyment. I don't think I've ever spent over $1000 on a firearm. I probably will do not too far into the future, but not without seriously asking myself if it will will bring a proportionate amount of joy and satisfaction.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 19 Aug 2020, 9:22 pm

To each their own, but I agree with you Jake. The type of shooting that I really enjoy puts a lot more onus on physical technique than fancy gear. While of course, accuracy is desirable, let’s be honest, I’m not grouping into sub moa from the 3-Ps. Hot barrel consistency is far more important. So a gun that is reliable and “good enough” for my skill level brings me ongoing enjoyment. Maybe one day, after a lot of refining my skills, I might be able to realize the potential of a sub-moa service rifle. Until then, good enough is good enough. If you look in the right places, $1000 will get a solid outfit.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 19 Aug 2020, 11:52 pm

another example of where I have regretted not spending a wee bit more was driving/owning crapadoors for years, under powered, thirsty, clunky, ugly, unreliable (both super taxis are) constant suspension issues etc etc etc. Bought ONE, only ONE, BMW had 0 issues and runs like a dream, 7l/100 and fast as fk, handles like its on rails and drifts nicely too, huge torque curve and following the normal service intervals problem free. and all from an engine smaller and better built.

spending more increases satisfaction and removes buyers remorse.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 20 Aug 2020, 11:34 am

Flyer wrote:I ended up with a CZ 453 varmint in 17hmr. It has the set trigger, which is better than the stock set-up. My HW 66 is heavy – right on 4kg with scope, which is the maximum limit for field rifle competition.

Here's how the CZ 453 shoots – I couldn't not have a CZ in my safe
17hmr.jpg

And here's a test group from the HW 66. Groups got smaller (top left to right) with SK Standard, then I switched to SK Match which opened up a little but then went back to one-hole groups. I can't see how a 22 could be any more accurate. They say the Weihrauch's are equal to an Anschutz 54, but at a 64 price.
JMgroups.jpg

Interesting, the only poster referring to a CZ453 varmint. The set trigger is superb. I have one in good old 22 LR and it will shoot like the above example with anything I stuff in it, don't ever use target ammo! The head space is TIGHT, I am always wondering if it is going to fire when closing the bolt.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Robin » 20 Aug 2020, 6:45 pm

Came in today and only wanted to spend $2k, ended up spending $3.5k, oops.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SAnewb85 » 17 Sep 2020, 8:38 pm

So just a little update.....

I had a chat to a local gunsmith who imports MPA chassis in Adelaide, he had a model to suit a CZ455 on sale which i put a deposit on, then went to his shop in person and realised that the stock wouldn't suit a guy my size.
Ended up ordering a MPA hybrid chassis and a vudoo V-22 barreled action.

What started as a discounted chassis turned into an epic and extremely pricey .22 build

But the flip side is knowing that I have something that I truly love and will get a ton of use and enjoyment out of, not to mention actually saving money in the long run as I wouldve ended up in the same position in a few months, just with a cheaper .22 in the safe that rarely got used.

Having said that, I have had to put my centrefire rifle plans on hold for a few months while I wait for and pay for this .22

Im an idiot, but im a happy idiot haha
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 17 Sep 2020, 9:28 pm

Only when my wife found out
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 18 Sep 2020, 6:19 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:So just a little update.....

I had a chat to a local gunsmith who imports MPA chassis in Adelaide, he had a model to suit a CZ455 on sale which i put a deposit on, then went to his shop in person and realised that the stock wouldn't suit a guy my size.
Ended up ordering a MPA hybrid chassis and a vudoo V-22 barreled action.

What started as a discounted chassis turned into an epic and extremely pricey .22 build

But the flip side is knowing that I have something that I truly love and will get a ton of use and enjoyment out of, not to mention actually saving money in the long run as I wouldve ended up in the same position in a few months, just with a cheaper .22 in the safe that rarely got used.

Having said that, I have had to put my centrefire rifle plans on hold for a few months while I wait for and pay for this .22

Im an idiot, but im a happy idiot haha

Yes but you now have a true custom target rifle and not a "make do" target rifle. It will save you a little bit of frustration down the track. If you really do get into target shooting you would have ended up there anyway. so you have saved heaps on the learning curve time wise.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by SAnewb85 » 18 Sep 2020, 10:16 pm

@larry
That was exactly my way of thinking.

I could've gone- cheapish .22 + bits and pieces =2k
Chassis for $400-1500
Then a custom barrel for another $6-700
= easily 3-3.5k which is well over half the price of the vudoo/mpa combo

Or just jump in, get the best and know from day 1 that its definitely not the equipment holding me back.

Im joining my local club, they have a 300yd rimfire range. Exciting times ahead.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles