Anschutz 1761 owners

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Anschutz 1761 owners

Post by Rapid » 13 Aug 2020, 8:08 pm

I'm interested in feedback on the Anschutz 1761 in 22lr.
Specs talk it up but there's not many reviews I could find so would like to hear from any owner or user that's experienced the rifle. Positives, negatives or just to show off with amazing groups, all welcome. Thanks!
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Anschutz 1761 owners

Post by eddievic » 13 Aug 2020, 9:38 pm

I don't have that but an older one.

Its like cars sure you can get to work in a toyota corolla but a ferrari is just something special.

The 1761 should be pretty darn actuate but might be fussy on ammo. It will be a rifle that you will be happy to pass onto your children.

Thanks
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rapid » 13 Aug 2020, 9:53 pm

eddievic wrote:I don't have that but an older one.

Its like cars sure you can get to work in a toyota corolla but a ferrari is just something special.

The 1761 should be pretty darn actuate but might be fussy on ammo. It will be a rifle that you will be happy to pass onto your children.

Thanks

Appreciate your reply. And yes, Euro firearms seem to always prefer Euro ammo. My Walther eats Eley/SK but spits it with CCI/Winchester etc - its just not chambered like a bucket so you can toss anything in it.
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by allan » 14 Aug 2020, 3:22 pm

My wife has had a 1761 for a while.
You may like to have a look at this link - I've posted a lot of info on these actions there:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... chutz+1761
The only additional comment I'd add at this point is that I've found this rifle to be VERY action screw torque sensitive. This surprised me as the flat bottomed receiver is very solid & the stock inletting is precise.
I'm about to make this one my next 22LR project. True Flite are doing me a replacement .865" straight blank at the moment. I'll fit that with a match chamber, pillar & bed the action & do a bit of work on the trigger and it should be a consistent & accurate shooter.
I've been buying & selling Anschutz sporters since 1965 and the 54 has always been a favourite of mine. Anschutz have simply moved with the times with the release of the 1761 switch barrel.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Rapid » 14 Aug 2020, 9:45 pm

allan wrote:My wife has had a 1761 for a while.
You may like to have a look at this link - I've posted a lot of info on these actions there:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/s ... chutz+1761
The only additional comment I'd add at this point is that I've found this rifle to be VERY action screw torque sensitive. This surprised me as the flat bottomed receiver is very solid & the stock inletting is precise.
I'm about to make this one my next 22LR project. True Flite are doing me a replacement .865" straight blank at the moment. I'll fit that with a match chamber, pillar & bed the action & do a bit of work on the trigger and it should be a consistent & accurate shooter.
I've been buying & selling Anschutz sporters since 1965 and the 54 has always been a favourite of mine. Anschutz have simply moved with the times with the release of the 1761 switch barrel.

Excellent write up Allen, thanks for sharing. So what torque did you find to be optimal? Also, have you had a chance to test different ammo? I spoke with NIOA about the 2 stage trigger available from Anschutz but they were not aware of it and therefore no plans to import at this stage. Mmmm its in the brochure and on their website :crazy:
Anyhow, I went ahead and ordered one, figured I had to have one in the safe at least once in a lifetime.

Cheers!
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by allan » 15 Aug 2020, 11:55 am

Rapid wrote:. So what torque did you find to be optimal? Also, have you had a chance to test different ammo? I spoke with NIOA about the 2 stage trigger available from Anschutz but they were not aware of it and therefore no plans to import at this stage. Mmmm its in the brochure and on their website :crazy:
Anyhow, I went ahead and ordered one, figured I had to have one in the safe at least once in a lifetime.
Cheers!

Anschutz recommend 2.5 NM Front & Back. After conducting s series of tests with a known good lot number of SK, I found 1.5 F&B dramatically reduced the average group size - Groups were round & consistent with no sign of vertical stringing which leads me to believe a decent bedding job is justified.

If you can afford it, I would advise getting an alloy replacement trigger guard..I buy Anschutz stuff from here and always get good service:
https://www.nordicmarksman.com/1761-Tri ... minum.html

Our particular 1761 likes the various SK/Lapua offerings. So far I have not found a decent lot of Eley or RWS with the limited testing I've done.

I have a "friend" in Ireland who has the new MPR with the two stage - Great shooter straight out of the box. I expect the 5061 single stage will safely go to a pound or less with a spring change so I'll give that a go first.

I have several German Running Boar rifles all with 22MM straight barrels - That's why I've ordered the TF in that dia. also. My Anschutz 1808 is almost idenical in dimensions to the 1761. It has a 19"X .865" straight barrel & balances beautifully off hand.

Good luck with your new rifle - Hope it meets your expectations!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Rapid » 16 Aug 2020, 7:05 pm

allan wrote:Anschutz recommend 2.5 NM Front & Back. After conducting s series of tests with a known good lot number of SK, I found 1.5 F&B dramatically reduced the average group size - Groups were round & consistent with no sign of vertical stringing which leads me to believe a decent bedding job is justified.

If you can afford it, I would advise getting an alloy replacement trigger guard..I buy Anschutz stuff from here and always get good service:
https://www.nordicmarksman.com/1761-Tri ... minum.html

Our particular 1761 likes the various SK/Lapua offerings. So far I have not found a decent lot of Eley or RWS with the limited testing I've done.

I have a "friend" in Ireland who has the new MPR with the two stage - Great shooter straight out of the box. I expect the 5061 single stage will safely go to a pound or less with a spring change so I'll give that a go first.

I have several German Running Boar rifles all with 22MM straight barrels - That's why I've ordered the TF in that dia. also. My Anschutz 1808 is almost idenical in dimensions to the 1761. It has a 19"X .865" straight barrel & balances beautifully off hand.

Good luck with your new rifle - Hope it meets your expectations!

Thanks for the info Allen. I'll definitely have a play with the tourqe and I've got plenty of SK RM, Eley Match and others to test out. I've gone for the Classic with 20" barrel not sure if that'll make any difference but will post the findings here.
Appreciate the heads up on the trigger guard too, I had a look and will upgrade in the near future... they don't seem to have shipping to Aust so I'll email them to arrange. Lucky to have a gunsmith at my club so I'll get the trigger tuned :thumbsup:

Cheers!
Rapid
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by gjsmith62 » 19 Feb 2022, 2:54 pm

I've owned an Anschutz 1761 Classic for about 6 months now and regularly use it to compete in smallbore varmint class comps. With Eley Match the rifle reliably hits the 10 ring for a group of approx. 10 mm at 50metres. It also likes SK Magazine and SK Pistol Match but is hopeless with CCI standard ( 25 - 30 mm groups even after sorting by weight and headspace ).
As for torquing the action screws 20 in lbs works for me which is a fraction under the specified 2.5Nm.
I'd recommend reading the manual on how to adjust the trigger for both weight and sear engagement as a bit of effort in this area really enhanced the rifle's performance for me.
gjsmith62
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles