Would you buy a Remington?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by bigpete » 16 Aug 2020, 1:13 pm

Ziege wrote:
bigpete wrote:Ive owned quite a few Remingtons over the years,and a " remlin ", and there's never been an issue with any of them ever. They've always been reliable and accurate. Except my old man's 788,but that was due to him lightening off the trigger heaps when he was fox shooting


It affected the safety. Pretty common with backyard gunsmithing with the 788

how has reducing the trigger weight caused an issue?? mine are all as haired off as the safety catches will allow, nothing but improved accuracy can be gained by lighter triggers, they are always 100% more likely to be accurate than a long heavy trigger.... i fail to see how thats an issue.
bigpete
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1771
South Australia

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by bigrich » 16 Aug 2020, 3:12 pm

long heavy triggers make company lawyers very happy ;) that's something that remington had issues with years ago , the design was modified for cheaper cost and some safety's failed and hunters got hurt/killed . if i remember correctly the engineer/designer of the trigger system helped affected people sue remington over it cause he felt so strongly about what the company had done. he also designed a fix for what they had done . mike walker is his name . i'd just fit a timney myself

and he designed the 222 so i love him for it :lol:
User avatar
bigrich
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 2657
Queensland

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by Peter988 » 16 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm

Bought a Remington 600 in .222 in 1968. I have shot an absolute s**t load of animals with it. But I had to retire it this year as it started to lose a bit of accuracy. Only got 52 years out of it. Useless thing.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 121
Queensland

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 16 Aug 2020, 4:43 pm

Remington rifles going off and firing on their own without the trigger being pulled;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak

Remington going bankrupt twice and showing multiple manufacturing issues with their firearms including rusting right out of the box;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziAXsacKslI

Remington rifles shocking manufacturing faults, including receiver holes being misaligned to the point where you can’t even put the screws in to install a picatinny rail;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLd6G51nOYM

I'm still relatively "new" to the shooting world
I have been shooting for a year only
However,
So far
I have heard so many bad things about Remington
So many
Of course not ALL their firearms are terrible, of course
But quite a significant proportion of their firearms seem questionable, to say the least
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 406
Victoria

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by bigpete » 16 Aug 2020, 4:49 pm

Then dont buy one ?
bigpete
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1771
South Australia

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 16 Aug 2020, 4:54 pm

bigpete wrote:Then dont buy one ?

That's right
I'm not gonna buy one
But I thought I would have a discussion with everyone to see what they thought of Remington
I thought it might be nice and educational (for some people) to have a discussion about it
Is that okay?
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 406
Victoria

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by Ziege » 16 Aug 2020, 5:16 pm

thing is my remington 270 shoots perfectly, BUT it was 1k out the box with a ****** plastic stock that made it impossible to shoot accurately, i dont care who you are those stocks will never allow accurate shooting to occur, so I had to go aftermarket, there goes another $500 with bedding, then the trigger needed new springs and a heap of polishing, then the poxy thing has oversized holes where the pic rails mount so I have had to use two single mounts and a hell of a lot of loctite so that the scope behaves. the bolt handle is crap on all of them, so aftermarket handle on there also. but finally, Finally after spending nearly the same as the guns original value I have a gun that shoots very well under 1moa and is finally nice to operate, compare this to my ruger and holy s**t, same price and the ruger is leagues ahead of it.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 905
Western Australia

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2020, 5:25 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:
bigpete wrote:Then dont buy one ?

That's right
I'm not gonna buy one
But I thought I would have a discussion with everyone to see what they thought of Remington
I thought it might be nice and educational (for some people) to have a discussion about it
Is that okay?


Sounds good to me :-)
Personally, I'm not a fan of Remington.
I think I own just one Remington currently, a 1940 Model 510. I own it because it was Rose's dad's first rifle, bought new in 1940. He always wanted to make it a repeater so I bought a US Army surplus Model 513T stock and 10rd magazine and turned it into a ten-shot faux Model 513T repeater for him, just before he died. The barrel is totally shot out though. I managed to find a Lithgow Model 12 that was being wrecked due to a damaged bolt and salvaged the barrel from it, it's a very close visual match to the original Remington.

My first centrefire rifle was the Remington 788 in .222Rem, fantastic rifle at an incredible price. In '83 it was around half the price of the Remington 700, and is a better rifle, in my opinion. The 788 is one Remington I would grab if I saw one available in .222Rem or 7mm-08. They stopped production in '83.

Oh, I forgot, my 1943 M1903-A3 is a Remington also :-)

My local recently had an old pump .22 on the shelf that I looked at hoping it was a Winchester Model 1906, but it wasn't.

So, some of the old Rems, yes, but overall I avoid Remington. I buy the firearm because of the firearm itself, not because of some decades-old reputation attached to the name currently tacked onto it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7445
Victoria

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by marksman » 16 Aug 2020, 5:46 pm

honestly Blade you wont be disappointed in a win 1906 if you get one,
as l wrote earlier my son and l are having a ball plinking with the one l have bought recently
you will need more ammo with it but from past reports l dont think that will bother you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3706
Victoria

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by bigrich » 16 Aug 2020, 6:15 pm

Ziege wrote:thing is my remington 270 shoots perfectly, BUT it was 1k out the box with a ****** plastic stock that made it impossible to shoot accurately, i dont care who you are those stocks will never allow accurate shooting to occur, so I had to go aftermarket, there goes another $500 with bedding, then the trigger needed new springs and a heap of polishing, then the poxy thing has oversized holes where the pic rails mount so I have had to use two single mounts and a hell of a lot of loctite so that the scope behaves. the bolt handle is crap on all of them, so aftermarket handle on there also. but finally, Finally after spending nearly the same as the guns original value I have a gun that shoots very well under 1moa and is finally nice to operate, compare this to my ruger and holy s**t, same price and the ruger is leagues ahead of it.


and for all these reasons a lot of people wanting a accurate,dependable rifle at reasonable cost buy a tikka :) i don't have one, but mates of mine do and swear by them . i've shot some of them and yeah their good , but too much plastic for me . the only time i'll get a rem is if i can get a early 700 at a good price to fully rebuild . they can be super accurate after you rebuild them . bit like a small block chevy v8 , you throw all the standard parts away and rebuild it with aftermarket bits . barrel , trigger , sako extractor . :P . a early A code serial number in 17 rem or 222 would be nice . time to troll the usedgun site and dream about more toys i don't need or can't afford ...... :lol:
User avatar
bigrich
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 2657
Queensland

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2020, 7:09 pm

marksman wrote:honestly Blade you wont be disappointed in a win 1906 if you get one,
as l wrote earlier my son and l are having a ball plinking with the one l have bought recently
you will need more ammo with it but from past reports l dont think that will bother you :drinks:


I think the 1906 is probably the only pump rifle I'd be interested in owning.
Have you tried shooting any groups with it at all?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7445
Victoria

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Aug 2020, 8:31 pm

Why not buy a Remington? I've owned a few over the years and no big dramas; had a bit of a problem with firing pin, sent it back and replaced, no problem. Unlike Peter 988, I've got a Remington 788 in .222 and still going strong. Wooden stock, weighs a ton and still undecided to fit sling swivels or not. :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1376
Queensland

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by Shootermick » 16 Aug 2020, 9:00 pm

I’ve got a Remington 7600 in 308 and like it. I had a Winchester 1906 but the barrel was all pitted and I traded it on a really good Winchester 9422M. If I was buying a new 22 pump right now I’d go a Henry hands down. I’ve got three Henry lever actions plus a single shot in 243, and I wanted to buy a Henry pump 22 a few months ago but couldn’t find one, then with all the COVID stuff going on no one could tell me when they’d be back in stock. But if they’re back on the shelves I’d be grabbing one.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 312
Victoria

Re: Would you buy a Remington?

Post by marksman » 17 Aug 2020, 10:16 am

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:honestly Blade you wont be disappointed in a win 1906 if you get one,
as l wrote earlier my son and l are having a ball plinking with the one l have bought recently
you will need more ammo with it but from past reports l dont think that will bother you :drinks:


I think the 1906 is probably the only pump rifle I'd be interested in owning.
Have you tried shooting any groups with it at all?


no groups at all yet,
just a swinger started at 35y, tried at 50y but the target is very hard to see with the barrel sights so we went back to 35y
l had a look with the bore scope and it does not look very good but we can hit target at 35 8 times out of 10 off the shoulder so we are happy
heaps of fun :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3706
Victoria

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles