PWS T3

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

PWS T3

Post by cruze82 » 19 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

hi guys does anyone on here have a PWS T3 (primary weapons system) if so are they really the most accurate .22lr you can buy ?
and are they worth the $1200 price tag
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: PWS T3

Post by handofcod » 19 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

I'm not well versed with PWS but I would have thought Anschutz would be considerably more accurate considering its association with competition shooting.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 19 Mar 2014, 6:57 pm

You want an accurate .22 for $1,200?

Check out Lorgars groups with his Anschütz here - Anschütz 1416D range report.

Thems good groups.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 20 Mar 2014, 7:51 am

The modular system is a cool idea, but for an every day shooter it's too fancy for my liking.

Plenty of straight shooters for the same or less than that price tag.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Grated » 20 Mar 2014, 7:52 am

cruze82 wrote:are they really the most accurate .22lr you can buy?

I think I'd have to give that to Anschutz too from the shooting I've seen with them.

See any Olympic line up and there's tonnes of them their too.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

The Anshutz would be a much better rifle,some people have broken the straight pull on the PWS.

The PWS is expensive for what it is,the stocks/barrels are interchangeable with a ruger 10/22, the trigger and receiver are different yet it costs nearly twice as much as a 10/22 in Australia and nearly 5x as much as a 10/22 in the USA.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Spooner » 21 Mar 2014, 7:53 am

Too much $$$ for cool factor. Not enough gun.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by MeccaOz » 29 Jun 2014, 11:48 am

On my never ending quest to fine the right 22 for me, Ive shortlisted these little puppies Cruze. I think they are rather neat, quicker than a bolt actione but have the same kind of accuracy, also they seem fairly bulletproof, although they do have a bit of plastic in them.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cruze82 » 29 Jun 2014, 2:09 pm

Funny you ask mate im in the middle of doing a range report for the gun and all the different typs of ammo
it is by far the most fun gun I have in the cabinet at the moment, its a great accurate shooter and super light
mine has the houge stock on it

I know there are a lot of Anshutz fans on here and I did look at getting one but instead of being one of the sheep I decided to give the PWS a chance and I have seen some good results so far SK rifle match is its fav so far with a one ragged hole group at 50m so accuracy is no problem and the trigger is amazing super crisp and with the straight pull action its fast plus the carbon tension barrel looks cool
the down side to the gun is it does not like the cheap CCI ammo
Attachments
PWS T3.jpg
PWS T3.jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 29 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm

Looks like a real nice setup you have there mate. I dont mind feeding .22's premium ammo at all. Love to see the report when your done too. :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm

Picked one of these up a few weeks ago and feeding it RWS HV ammo it pulls consistent half inch groups at 50M. I tried the SV CCI and was lucky to get 2 inch groups, also the subsonic ammo doesn't group very well either. If you get one of these then stick to the HV ammo and you won't be disappointed. Very light, crisp trigger and a pleasure to shoot.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 30 Jun 2014, 9:28 pm

brett1868 wrote:Picked one of these up a few weeks ago and feeding it RWS HV ammo it pulls consistent half inch groups at 50M. I tried the SV CCI and was lucky to get 2 inch groups, also the subsonic ammo doesn't group very well either. If you get one of these then stick to the HV ammo and you won't be disappointed. Very light, crisp trigger and a pleasure to shoot.

How much fun are they :D
I put some CCI stingers through mine today and came up with .75 MOA group could be on a winner for a hunting round
I was so surprised after the other CCI stuff , Mini Mag, standard, greentag,
I shot the guys at PWS an email and asked them what was the best and they said Lapua X act so I got a box on the weekend but at $38 for 50 I don't care if it shoots a one hole group I wont be using it at that price!
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 7:49 am

cruze82 wrote:I got a box on the weekend but at $38 for 50 I don't care if it shoots a one hole group I wont be using it at that price!

LOL, Yeah cant say I blame you at all :shock:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by davster » 01 Jul 2014, 5:47 pm

Got 2 of these. Not too bad. Great toggle pull. Super fast. Accuracy beyond 50- I'd prefer my cz 455 or savage mk 2 tactical.
PWS fussy with ammo.
davster
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the input Davster :) ... Helping me narrow down my .22 :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 01 Jul 2014, 11:14 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Thanks for the input Davster :) ... Helping me narrow down my .22 :)

Had a bit more of a think about this rifle and there's a few pain points to consider..

Cleaning is a pain in the A$$ because if like me you like to pull out the bolt and clean from the breach then this rifle isn't for you due to how the action works. No different I guess from the 10/22 but I like to clean using jags & rods from the breach end of the action. I did think about removing the barrel as it's a fairly simple & quick process but I need to do a bit more research to see what effect on sighting removing the barrel has.

The Hogue stock is nice and comfortable either on the bench or using a sling but mine seems to rub the barrel at a few points so I'll get the Dremel out sort that out over the weekend.

Prolly the main thing that worries me is that it's possible to fire the rifle without the action fully locked in the forward position. Not sure if it'll fire a round in this position but it's not something I want to find out although I may rip the head off a round and try it with just a primed case to satisfy my curiosity.

Fussy on ammo seems to be a common comment, I've only tried the RWS HV, CCI SV and some CCI "Quiet" rounds and even at 25M it sprays the 2 slower cartridges around a 2 inch group whilst the RWS HV is under 1 inch at 50M. Haven't had a chance to take it bush yet to see how it performs at longer distances. I mainly shoot indoors at St Mary's either Tue or Thur night's and max distance is 50M.

Think I paid just over a grand for it and apart from the points above I'm really enjoying shooting it.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Jul 2014, 11:34 pm

They do seem like the ducks nuts to be honest. And thanks for pointing out those things (yeah like you I'm a breech to crown guy ).

I think my main concern is hearing that a few people have actually broken the plastic bolt on them.

But I'm waiting for your full review :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 02 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

davster wrote:PWS fussy with ammo.

My Anschütz was the same.

Tried a dozen types of ammo and half were crap, nearly half were "ok", but then found the right one and it shoots great.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm

Lorgar wrote:
davster wrote:PWS fussy with ammo.

My Anschütz was the same.

Tried a dozen types of ammo and half were crap, nearly half were "ok", but then found the right one and it shoots great.

Care to share which was the right one? :D

I just bought a brick of the Lapua X and will try it tomorrow night out St Marys and report back.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 11 Jul 2014, 10:34 am

RWS club, mate.

rws-5-shot-group.jpg
rws-5-shot-group.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 4925 times

Can't argue with that.

Here is a post with photos of all the ammo I tried in my rifle if you're interested: Anschütz 1416D ammo comparison
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles