Crows and Lead

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Crows and Lead

Post by Stu222 » 04 Oct 2020, 6:08 am

Morning everybody,
Does anybody have a slug gun I could borrow, in 22 caliber, so I can knock out some crows which are bugging the hell out of me.
I am in Sunbury, obviously fully licensed, and would give you some dollars for surety etc.
Thanks very much, have a great Sunday.
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 11
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bigpete » 04 Oct 2020, 6:30 am

Sunbury Victoria?
bigpete
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1771
South Australia

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by InisBineest » 04 Oct 2020, 8:46 am

Not to teach a granny to suck eggs, but it would be worth checking the area you plan on shooting in is not zoned as residential or too close to said area, as that could land you in strife, even with an air rifle.

Also, do check that it is legal to shoot crows. I'm not saying its not, as I'm not sure. I've heard a lot of people speak one way or the other on the matter so it would be good to clarify from an authoritive source.

Seperatly, Sunbury firearms often has new air rifles for less than $300.
Alfa Proj Carbine .357/38
CZ 455 & CZ 515 Tac, Lithgow No.1 -22lr
WFA1L .223
Ruger No.1 308


Gone:
Rem700VSF, CZ527FS -.223
CZ527 American .222
PWS T3 Summit, Mossberg802, CZ 452FS & 455PT, Savage A22R -22lr
Boito 12G
Marlin1895 45-70
InisBineest
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 110
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bigpete » 04 Oct 2020, 9:12 am

InisBineest wrote:Not to teach a granny to suck eggs, but it would be worth checking the area you plan on shooting in is not zoned as residential or too close to said area, as that could land you in strife, even with an air rifle.

Also, do check that it is legal to shoot crows. I'm not saying its not, as I'm not sure. I've heard a lot of people speak one way or the other on the matter so it would be good to clarify from an authoritive source.

Seperatly, Sunbury firearms often has new air rifles for less than $300.


Exactly. There are legal issues to contend with to begin with.
bigpete
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1771
South Australia

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2020, 10:09 am

FYI The White Eyed raven is native and therefore protected. Along with a few others.


https://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profil ... lian-raven
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6511
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by marksman » 04 Oct 2020, 10:37 am

some say they are good to eat ;) hey Pete :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3706
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Blr243 » 04 Oct 2020, 11:50 am

Sometimes when we are woken up on Sunday by crows when we could be enjoying a nice sleep in, We are not necessarily in a good Mood and we speak before we think. I m sure I have been ghuilty of this In the past more than once ...possibly shooting protected species, possibly discharging a projectile too close to neighbours, And asking strangers if we can borrow their gun..... stu , I forgive you , and. I hope in hindsight you can have a Giggle at your own post ...and I hope tomorrow morning you have No crows on your windowsill
Blr243
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2954
Queensland

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2020, 12:56 pm

Stu222 wrote:Morning everybody,
Does anybody have a slug gun I could borrow, in 22 caliber, so I can knock out some crows which are bugging the hell out of me.
I am in Sunbury, obviously fully licensed, and would give you some dollars for surety etc.
Thanks very much, have a great Sunday.


Crows are protected, you'll need an Ag-Permit to cull them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Stu222 » 04 Oct 2020, 1:34 pm

Growing up on a farm I was bred to hate the stinking things. You’re all right, it would be a foolish exercise. I’ll just keep chucking rocks at them. Cheers gents.
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 11
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Stu222 » 04 Oct 2020, 1:54 pm

Growing up on a farm I was bred to hate the stinking things. You’re all right, it would be a foolish exercise. I’ll just keep chucking rocks at them. Cheers gents.
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 11
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Oct 2020, 3:45 pm

Get a laser...they hate em.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3748
Tasmania

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Codez » 04 Oct 2020, 3:59 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Get a laser...they hate em.


Nice lasers work do they? Got a few examples?
Codez
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 20
Western Australia

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by pomemax » 04 Oct 2020, 4:09 pm

https://au.dhgate.com/product/10000m-la ... 2651358221
I had one of these in my tool box at work for pointing things out to contractors I e pipe work
the fun side of it is at night it is fun to tap the cats on the head with the beam just make sure no planes around the beam is ok out to ! km
just take the star head off
Last edited by pomemax on 05 Oct 2020, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1016
New South Wales

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2020, 5:44 pm

pomemax wrote:https://au.dhgate.com/product/10000m-laser-pointer-5mw-18650-battery-powered/544233792.html#s1-20-1;au|2651358221
I have one of these in my tool box at work for pointing things out to contractors I e pipe work
the fun side of it is at night it is fun to tap the cats on the head with the beam just make sure no planes around the beam is ok out to ! km
just take the star head off


Need a prohibited weapons permit for that in Victoria.
I thought 1mW is the limit in all Australian states?

Just checked and NSW also requires a permit for a laser over 1mW.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by pomemax » 04 Oct 2020, 6:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
pomemax wrote:https://au.dhgate.com/product/10000m-laser-pointer-5mw-18650-battery-powered/544233792.html#s1-20-1;au|2651358221
I have one of these in my tool box at work for pointing things out to contractors I e pipe work
the fun side of it is at night it is fun to tap the cats on the head with the beam just make sure no planes around the beam is ok out to ! km
just take the star head off


Need a prohibited weapons permit for that in Victoria.
I thought 1mW is the limit in all Australian states?

Just checked and NSW also requires a permit for a laser over 1mW.

the loophole is its not strictly a pointer its a party light till
you take the star head off
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1016
New South Wales

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2020, 6:29 pm

I tried to import one a few years ago. It was confiscated and got a letter basically saying if you don't like it need to fight it in court.
And they only "believed" it was above the power thresh hold
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6511
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2020, 7:02 pm

pomemax wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
pomemax wrote:https://au.dhgate.com/product/10000m-laser-pointer-5mw-18650-battery-powered/544233792.html#s1-20-1;au|2651358221
I have one of these in my tool box at work for pointing things out to contractors I e pipe work
the fun side of it is at night it is fun to tap the cats on the head with the beam just make sure no planes around the beam is ok out to ! km
just take the star head off


Need a prohibited weapons permit for that in Victoria.
I thought 1mW is the limit in all Australian states?

Just checked and NSW also requires a permit for a laser over 1mW.

the loophole is its not strictly a pointer its a party light till
you take the star head off


In which case you still need a permit to possess it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by pomemax » 04 Oct 2020, 8:29 pm

Go to any market on a week end they are all over the place
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1016
New South Wales

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2020, 9:10 pm

pomemax wrote:Go to any market on a week end they are all over the place


You do understand that simply being available does not make something legal to possess?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by deye243 » 04 Oct 2020, 9:35 pm

Yep just looked at the humble knife doesn't matter what sort of what size even if it's just in your car if it's not locked away in Victoria you are f*****
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1081
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by deye243 » 04 Oct 2020, 9:36 pm

Oh yeah in Victoria if you have a Shooters licence and you are buying a laser for a site you are allowed to 5 mw not that is really any different
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1081
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2020, 9:39 pm

deye243 wrote:Oh yeah in Victoria if you have a Shooters licence and you are buying a laser for a site you are allowed to 5 mw not that is really any different


I haven't seen that exemption before, as far as I know 1mW is still the limit without a permit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by pomemax » 05 Oct 2020, 4:39 pm

I thought that would be a better option than getting a sight from a hunting suppler like this one from Drummoyne
https://www.sportingoutbacksupplies.com.au/16833.html
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1016
New South Wales

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2020, 5:39 pm

pomemax wrote:I thought that would be a better option than getting a sight from a hunting suppler like this one from Drummoyne
https://www.sportingoutbacksupplies.com.au/16833.html


I have sent them the Police FAQ and asked if there is an exemption on these, if they respond I'll post it here.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/firearms/laser_pointers/laser_pointers_-_questions_and_answers
Attachments
NSW Laser laws.JPG
NSW Laser laws.JPG (72.13 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2020, 6:37 pm

Their response was to ignore my question and say they're sold out with no more coming in.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7444
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Oct 2020, 8:34 pm

I’ve never heard of anyone getting in to trouble using a laser for dispersing birds or driving cats mental - if you want to point it at a cockpit, expect a knock on the door and rightly so. A colleague has a unit that can set a match slight at about a foot away and he can pop balloons from across the room - quite entertaining at our last engagement party as the fab couple could not understand wtf was wrong with their balloons...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3748
Tasmania

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by elnino » 07 Oct 2020, 10:34 pm

FYI, laser modules of basically any wattage will pass customs. They are commonly sold as 'laser engraver module' (actual legitimate use), its just 'pointers' that are illegal.

Now that gel blasters are illegal in SA, i might have to go down this route for the starlings...
elnino
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 40
South Australia

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2020, 10:53 pm

U can buy "pointers" from office works
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6511
Victoria

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Timboon » 15 Nov 2020, 10:51 am

Stu if I lived close by I'd happily come around and sort them out for you...

I also can't stand the ******.

4 in 3 shots is my best one minute haul using an old Browning 5 shot semi auto.

I'll look at buying a laser for the parrots that eat everything in my garden here in WA
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
Western Australia

Re: Crows and Lead

Post by Timboon » 15 Nov 2020, 10:57 am

I just purchased the laser for $15 on eBay..
Free postage, can't go wrong
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 44
Western Australia


Back to top
 
Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles