Lithgow 1a stock

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Lithgow 1a stock

Post by Shootermick » 03 Dec 2020, 2:23 pm

The first gun I had was a Lithgow 1a given to me by my grandfather, it’s long gone now. I’m thinking about getting another one, they’re cheap and plentiful, just have to find a reasonable one. Has anyone ever put one in a different stock? I’m not worried about keeping it original, just looking for a fun project. I don’t think there’d be many mods available for an early Lithgow.?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Lithgow 1a stock

Post by LawrenceA » 03 Dec 2020, 8:04 pm

I am sure someone has at some point.
What do you have in mid?
Tactical chassis with laser pointer and reflex sight?
Or just get a decent hardwood plank and go for it? Full mannlicher? Ebony or horn forend tip?
The most difficult will be scope mount.
I have seen them done with like a 3/8" qtr rib mounted to the barrel with dovetails along the top sides to provide a 3/8" dovetail. looked good.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 03 Dec 2020, 8:59 pm

I’d like a chassis, or a synthetic stock. Doesn’t make much sense to spend money on an old rifle like that, but it’s just for the fun factor.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 03 Dec 2020, 9:32 pm

Grab one of those cheap synthetics for the Howa and a litre of bedding compound. Or if you can cut it down the middle and glue it back together then a candle apple red paint job.
Actually see if you can pick up a gel blaster and use the stock!
Or make a fibreglass mold.

It will be a money pit for sure.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 03 Dec 2020, 9:45 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Grab one of those cheap synthetics for the Howa and a litre of bedding compound. Or if you can cut it down the middle and glue it back together then a candle apple red paint job.
Actually see if you can pick up a gel blaster and use the stock!
Or make a fibreglass mold.

It will be a money pit for sure.

Good ideas there. I’ve drowned in a few money pits before, always such good ideas at the time though.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 06 Dec 2020, 7:51 am

I've always wanted to have a go at carvinh a fluu length stock for my grandpa's Lithgow. I'd keep the original of course, but it is such a simple rifle, I think it'd be a doable DIY project.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles