New shooter - entry level rifle question

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New shooter - entry level rifle question

Post by greybro » 21 Dec 2020, 9:38 am

Hi all,

Newbie here - new to the forum (VIC), new to the sport. I've enjoyed shooting the times I've gone and done it as a guest at a range, and I've finally decided to do something about it. I've got my licence application in, and am not starting to think about getting my first rifle.

I'm trying to be budget conscious, knowing I've got a range of costs coming up (range fees, safe, ammo), and am trying to wrap my head around my first rifle (22LR). I'm a leftie, which doesn't help. I'm mostly looking at doing range shooting to start, and may venture into some light competition stuff, and maybe pest shooting from time to time. What I'm hoping some of you seasoned gurus might be able to assist with is some advice or recommendations for a good rifle and scope combo at around the $1k price mark. I know it's a low starting point, but I don't want to break the bank the first time around!

I've had a look at the Savage Mk II (either a F or G), but was wondering if there was something else comparable, and what sort of scope it could be paired with.

Thanks!
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New shooter - entry level rifle question

Post by JimTom » 26 Dec 2020, 6:13 pm

G’day mate, your post seems to have slipped under the radar. Normally plenty of forum members would comment on a question like yours. Hopefully this gets it started.
Mate if your going to use it mainly for target and a bit of hunting then perhaps consider the Lithgow crossover LA101. I haven’t checked for a while but guessing they’d be around the $1000 mark or perhaps a bit more. I know you wanted to buy a scope with your $1000 budget but if it was possible I’d perhaps hold out and get what you want straight up.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 26 Dec 2020, 7:25 pm

Lithgow is a very good quality rifle and aussie made.

The other option is a CZ esp you might be able to find some 455 on special. That will get you to your 1k price level with a scope. The newer 457 models are very good but around the 1k mark for the rifle alone. and finally the older 452, these you can't get new (unless it's a special that was around early in the year. usually around the 2k mark) but a second hand one is probably a very good option
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 26 Dec 2020, 7:46 pm

Hi greybro. $1000 bucks doesn’t give you much wiggle room, and the left handed factor complicates things further. I’d otherwise recommend a nice BRNO mod 2 from the various classifieds, they pop up around your budget frequently, usually wearing glass...

Nevertheless, to answer your question, for a new rifle, Savage is your only real option, where you’ll get a left handed 22 well under a grand. Then you’ll have to put Chinese glass on it to come close to the $1000 mark. Vortex isn’t bad in that regard. Perhaps a Diamondback? A bit milky, but does the job.

If you could stretch your budget to $1500, you could pick up a L/H Tikka t1x, or a Lithgow, or a CZ. Then throw on a Leupold VX-Freedom. That combo will be noticeably better quality.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 26 Dec 2020, 8:18 pm

If you do a bit of a search mate there are plenty of threads comparing various .22LR rimfire rifles, in particular, the CZ, Lithgow, and Tikka T1X. By the way you wouldn’t go wrong with any of those.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by moudzj » 26 Dec 2020, 9:14 pm

Absolutely in love with my Lithgow LA101. Stainless steel throughout, cerakoted, with unmatched build quality - and shoots absolutely superbly. Worth every penny. Buy once cry once.
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ThePlinkster » 26 Dec 2020, 9:35 pm

Save up and getta Tikka T1X MTR in 22LR
You wont regret it
I have a Tikka and I absolutely love my Tikka
I find it to be incredibly reliable, consistent and accurate
It has never let me down
I got some good results from it
Check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14052
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 27 Dec 2020, 7:33 am

Hello mate
To make your $$ go further I would suggest you look at second hand rifles. There are a few second hand rifle sales sites on the web.
Sometimes there are great combinations of rifle and scope to be had at great prices.

Take your time and go to your local gun shop and ask to hold different rifles to see what fits you and feels good up against your shoulder.
Ask lots of questions, even if you think they are 'dumb questions', it's your cash and if they want your money they have to satisfy you.

It may be difficult to find one rifle that will do everything you want, that is, be a good target rifle for competition, be good for hunting etc.
So you may have to compromise, ask what's more important right now, the target aspect or the hunting.

Ask lots of questions :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Dec 2020, 8:57 am

ThePlinkster wrote:Save up and getta Tikka T1X MTR in 22LR
You wont regret it
It has never let me down
Check it out here:

+1 for the Tikka. Probably the best budget rifle out there. I have seen some Ruger rimfire that shoot very well. If I was looking for my first rifle, one of those two would be my choice, a Savage would be well down on my list.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 27 Dec 2020, 11:08 am

My son is left handed and I have a CZ452 for him that is left handed and he chooses to use either my Lithgow 101 or new CZ515 both of which are right handed.
I would save a little longer and start off with a quality set up that you will keep forever. You may be able to find a second hand CZ452 in left hand but most people keep them. The Lithgow LA101 is a great do all rifle but a little heavy for some in the field although I don't mind it. The cheaper American made rifles in left hand will probably shoot just fine but the difference in fit and finish is huge as they favor quantity over quality so you won't be getting a rifle that inspires pride in ownership. As far as scopes go you need either a dedicated rimfire scope that is free of paralax error at the 50m range or a scope with paralax adjustment. The Leupold VX Freedom rimfire is a great reasonably priced scope for a 3-9 X 40 or for higher magnification the 4-16 X 44 side paralax adjustment Japanese made Vixen are excellent value and well suited to a rimfire as they are not a huge bulky tactical looking scope like most on the market. Unfortunately a quality set-up like the Lithgow Leupold/Vixen will set you back just under 2k but will be money well spent with no regrets later on.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 2:27 pm

Wonder if the OP is still around?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by greybro » 27 Dec 2020, 2:39 pm

Thanks all - I've been checking back regularly - my post took a while to come up!

Have visited a few gun shops, and the Leupold scope was one recommended, and I'm going to save up some more sheckels and aim for the Lithgow. Fortunately, it looks as if I have a safe I can 'borrow' from my father, so that'll help on the budget front.
Appreciate all the replies.
Last edited by greybro on 27 Dec 2020, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 3:06 pm

Good luck with it mate. Be sure to let us know what you end up with mate. :thumbsup:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by greybro » 27 Dec 2020, 3:18 pm

You wont regret it
It has never let me down
Check it out here:

Thanks Plinkster - I did see one of your earlier posts - good to know what you ended up with.
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 27 Dec 2020, 4:13 pm

greybro wrote:
You wont regret it
It has never let me down
Check it out here:

Thanks Plinkster - I did see one of your earlier posts - good to know what you ended up with.

:thumbsup:
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 27 Dec 2020, 6:37 pm

I’ve got a heavy barrel Savage in 22lr and a Ruger American Compact in 22 mag. Both quite good budget priced rifles, but if I had to choose one over the other, calibre aside, I prefer the Ruger over the Savage. Better magazine and a better bolt.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by flashman » 28 Dec 2020, 8:09 am

Yes go Ruger i have a compact in 22mag /22lr compact both work well , more bang for your buck ,any money left over quality rings and optics .. :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by greybro » 12 Jan 2021, 5:40 pm

So paid my deposit today - ended up going with a Lithgow LA101 Left handed - poly stock and black barrel, with a Meopta meopro 4.5-14x50.

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions - both on this post and some of the past posts!!

Hoping to have a good piece of kit to get me going and loving a new sport.
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 13 Jan 2021, 12:23 am

Sounds like a great set up. The Meopta scopes are great value for money and quality items. You will really enjoy your choice. The Lithgow trigger Is able to be improved with a cheap spring kit that will lighten it and magazines are compatible with the CZ so there are plenty of options for spares or a 10 shot mag.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Jan 2021, 7:14 am

Good guns. I regularly compete with mine in 3-P. Mine wears a m1907 service sling, and a CZ 10-shot. The flush 5-shot mag is better for standing legs, as it's right where I grip the forend while my elbow is tucked against the torso. They are quite popular in our club, and as good as any for field positional.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Jan 2021, 1:16 pm

G'day greybro,
Hope you are happy with your choice of rifle/scope, both are good quality. But just to add my opinion, for a starting budget to do what you wanted you could have done just as good with a 2nd hand rifle/scope combination in right hand as there are lots of good things such as Brno Model 2's, 2e's,5's with quality scopes all under $1000, as well as a left hand T-Bolt for $900 or a left hand Savage MkII with 3-9 Nikko for $495. All these rifles are good shooters and will last many decades such as my 90 year old Lithgow Model 12 which I would put up against any $1000 rifle and most dearer ones, Cheers and good shooting.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

Agreed 100% with you mate.

But some people just like shiny new things, and might not be comfortable with the history of a 2nd rifle esp when they are starting out
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Jan 2021, 5:17 pm

I've only fired two different .22 rifles, so my experience is limited but I will throw my 1c in. One was a BRNO, and the other I own, a Lithgow LA101 $800 second hand, added a $350 scope on there too. Shoots well, however my only qualm with my particular series of LA101 (which I knew before I bought it), is that it doesn't accept CZ/BRNO magazines where as most LA101's do. Perhaps something to keep in mind if you go down that path as finding magazines is a bitch if you get the exact same series with this issue. It's a bit weighty for a .22 but would be fine for range work or the odd pest. If you're looking at something for plinking, I'd probably look at a lever action of some sort.
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 13 Jan 2021, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Jan 2021, 5:18 pm

Seems I missed the boat, my bad haha
Member-Deleted

Post by johnboy357 » 13 Jan 2021, 8:07 pm

My choice - pity it was sold. A little over your original budget but probably around what you paid for what you have. You just can not go past an Anschutz for quality and accuracy

Anschutz Model 1416 LH Bolt Action Rifle in .22LR
$1,500.00 'Scope Included!'
SOLD!
Caliber: .22 Long Rifle
Condition: VERY GOOD
State: Victoria
More Details...
Dealer Ad andrew2020

The rifle comes with the following fitted accessories:

An as new Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 V Brite Scope with illuminated reticle and 1" rings
Picatinny bridge mount
One 5 round magazine and two 10 round magazines
Picatinny rail forward sling swivel
Tactical Bolt Handle
Pachmayr White Line Soft Rubber Recoil Pad
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by greybro » 14 Jan 2021, 9:52 am

Thanks @No1Mk3, @cz515, @johnboy357 @BangWhizzClack. I did consider second hand, but left handed is hard to find. And you're right... maybe I was keen on a new shiny toy just for me. Can you blame a fella?

If I enjoy the new hobby (and I suspect I will), I have though about maybe two other rifles - a lever action, and a centre fire for long distance. I'll definitely be looking second hand for those, especially the lever. I've seen a few with red dot sights that I like the look of, and left handed is not really an issue, depending on where they eject from. Appreciate all the thoughts!
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2021, 10:16 am

greybro wrote:Thanks @No1Mk3, @cz515, @johnboy357 @BangWhizzClack. I did consider second hand, but left handed is hard to find. And you're right... maybe I was keen on a new shiny toy just for me. Can you blame a fella?

If I enjoy the new hobby (and I suspect I will), I have though about maybe two other rifles - a lever action, and a centre fire for long distance. I'll definitely be looking second hand for those, especially the lever. I've seen a few with red dot sights that I like the look of, and left handed is not really an issue, depending on where they eject from. Appreciate all the thoughts!

Haha you're going the same route as I did. Check under this comment to see what I have :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by in2anity » 14 Jan 2021, 10:20 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:Shoots well, however my only qualm with my particular series of LA101 (which I knew before I bought it), is that it doesn't accept CZ/BRNO magazines where as most LA101's do.

That's the first I've heard of that. The la101 mags share the same form as the CZ mags. Was it a matter of it not "clicking" into place?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2021, 11:40 am

in2anity wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:Shoots well, however my only qualm with my particular series of LA101 (which I knew before I bought it), is that it doesn't accept CZ/BRNO magazines where as most LA101's do.

That's the first I've heard of that. The la101 mags share the same form as the CZ mags. Was it a matter of it not "clicking" into place?

They are designed slightly differently so yes, they don't click into place, or if you can get one to, it doesn't feed. It was a specific series of them that has this issue. I think it was intentional they initially.
Member-Deleted

Post by in2anity » 14 Jan 2021, 1:21 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:They are designed slightly differently so yes, they don't click into place, or if you can get one to, it doesn't feed. It was a specific series of them that has this issue. I think it was intentional they initially.

The rifle was always designed and manufactured to use CZ mags. During the problematic time of 2015-2016 90% of Issues stemmed from the magazine(s) themselves, be it factory or CZ. CZ magazines may need to be altered to fit (mine did) as the tolerances are different. This was achieved by sanding the underside of the catch-lug on the magazine itself, using side-to-side motion with a jeweler's file.

image.jpeg
the underside of the lug just above the stick
image.jpeg (356.53 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles