Savage A22R reclassification?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Savage A22R reclassification?

Post by Cranky247 » 24 Dec 2020, 4:44 pm

G'day.

Is there any news on the Savage A22R they seem pretty cheap at gun shops at them moment.

Cheers
Cranky247
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Savage A22R reclassification?

Post by Shootermick » 24 Dec 2020, 6:32 pm

Have you looked at one? I considered one a couple of years ago, but went for a Savage bolt action instead. I didn’t mind it, but it was really loud when you cycled the next shot, good in theory as an alternative for those who don’t have Cat C. But I’ve noticed that they’re cheap too, I’m thinking they just never took ok off like they’d hoped.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 24 Dec 2020, 6:54 pm

Haven't heard any news since NT re-classified them and then back-tracked.
They are a great budget plinking rifle but not really any faster to fire than a traditional lever action rifle, the traditional rifles also have a much higher magazine capacity in their tubes too, especially with 22 shorts.

I got a stainless A22R when they were on special earlier this year, surprisingly accurate and lightweight, I also got a Browning BL22 lever action, both will do for basic hunting for small animals at close range but for plinking I'd take the Browning every time.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 24 Dec 2020, 7:07 pm

They're flying off the shelves in NSW. I know about four mates who are getting them in various calibres.

Great idea and from all accounts they shoot pretty well, too!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Cranky247 » 24 Dec 2020, 7:30 pm

I'm certainly considering a nice lever action or even a revolving rifle.

I have also wondered if the toggle on the the Savage and the CZ could in fact be operated by the index finger and use the middle finger on the trigger, shouldn't take too much re training.
Cranky247
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 24 Dec 2020, 11:48 pm

For the Savage A22R, yes, you can operate the lever release and trigger with fingers from the same hand without taking a finger off either, however, the release pull is very heavy so if you really push the speed the accuracy is terrible. With practice I suspect it can be as fast as the original A22 semi auto.

It is fun every now and again to pump out 10 rounds in about 2 seconds but it's difficult to do that and hit what you're aiming at. The A22R is a great plinking rifle but it takes the fun out if you have to spend about 50 times longer loading the magazine than firing it so it's not something you'll likely do more than once each outing.

Similar to a classic lever action or even bolt action, it's fun sometimes to see how fast you can cycle it but it gets tiresome fast.

A ten shot revolving action 22LR rifle would be even faster I suspect but the trigger would be very heavy on that.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by hunting99 » 25 Dec 2020, 11:05 am

Got one it’s great. Mag once you got the hang of it loads just as quick as a CZ one
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by fishburgr » 02 Jan 2021, 9:54 pm

I really like mine. I liked the A22r so much I got another in 22WMR to reach out a little further. They are surprisingly accurate guns and cheap at the moment.

Only downside is that they are a bit more difficult to clean than a bolt action. But its still only a 10 minute job. You can get a decent MDT chassis for the 22lr too. I haven't checked yet to see if it fits the 22wmr.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 03 Jan 2021, 2:35 pm

I've owned the A22r, and sold it the moment the CZ 515 was announced. Don't get me wrong, the savage was perfectly functional, even better after nioa corrected the double spring issue in the trigger. But... I can't go past a good CZ, and the 515 is a good CZ! I find the lever arrangement on the CZ quicker to handle. It has more travel, but is no where near as heavy compared to the release on the savage. The tactical style stock on the CZ is perfect for me as a cheap trainer for my WFA1L, and all the pic mounted bits I use interchange with QD mounts. Love it!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles