CZ 457 action screw torque

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 457 action screw torque

Post by JimTom » 24 Dec 2020, 5:35 pm

G’day gents

Anyone here running a 457 or similar?
If so, have you experimented with torque settings and how it effects accuracy?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: CZ 457 action screw torque

Post by Cooper » 25 Dec 2020, 5:07 pm

I’ve got my cz457 MTR. I actually got it at the end of November. Being meaning to do a review. But haven’t really shot it as much as I’d like yet.

I had to pull it out of the stock when I got it. Normally I’d shoot it first. But the trigger surprisingly had a fair bit of creep and was too heavy. Fixed the creep problem straight away. But had to do the trigger spring. It’s down to around one pound now. (1.5 pound spring)

Back to topic I just did front and back action screws to 30 inch pounds. Seems to be working well. Haven’t felt the need to play with torque settings yet.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 26 Dec 2020, 12:54 pm

Thanks mate, reason I ask is that I recently adjusted the trigger and noticed that when I removed the action from the stock to adjust the trigger, the screws were quite loose. After some research I found out that 30 in/lbs is the recommended torque setting. I have done some reading on international forums and quite a few people claim they are getting better accuracy by changing the torque settings on the action screws.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 26 Dec 2020, 4:54 pm

JimTom wrote:Thanks mate, reason I ask is that I recently adjusted the trigger and noticed that when I removed the action from the stock to adjust the trigger, the screws were quite loose. After some research I found out that 30 in/lbs is the recommended torque setting. I have done some reading on international forums and quite a few people claim they are getting better accuracy by changing the torque settings on the action screws.

How’d you go adjusting the trigger? Mine had a heap of creep! That was easier enough to adjust out. But wouldn’t go much below 3lbs. I ordered the 1.5lbs spring from high velocity hunting. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the pin out of the trigger.

Then the trigger Ended up about 1.2lbs adjusted as high I could get it. But it had a little bit of creep back in it. I adjust the creep out again and I pretty much have a 1 lbs trigger. Which is a bit lower than I wanted. It is a nice trigger now. Totally fine for target work and perfectly safe. Just I would have like to be closer the 1.5lbs mark. All my other rifles are at 2lbs and a couple are at 1.5lbs. I just prefer to keep everything fairly similar if possible.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 26 Dec 2020, 5:24 pm

Mate once adjusted the trigger was good. Definitely not the best however not to bad once I lightened it, took out some of the creep and shortened the over travel. Happy enough with it now, was a bit on the heavier side with the factory settings I thought.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 26 Dec 2020, 9:55 pm

Even i was surprised how heavy it was from factory. Esp after playing with one at the Melbourne Shot show.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 7:32 am

Yes mate definitely not super. A little fiddling and it’s acceptable. Would benefit from a lighter spring as you’ve already eluded to mate. Glad you got yours sorted.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 7:32 am

Mate out of curiosity what ammo do you use and what sort of results are you getting?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 27 Dec 2020, 8:09 am

I be honest i only shoot it 2 or 4 times, and that's all the shooting i have done this year since January so a Lil rusty.

Sk rifle match and rws rifle match. They were touching at 50m, or about 12-15mm. Found the eley standard won't chamber and eley club wasn't that great groups. I would probably want to try fiochi if i can find it, that is surprisingly good
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 27 Dec 2020, 11:45 am

I am mainly shooting RWS club. It seems to like Sk rifle match and Sk standard. But the best seems to be Eley Sport the green box stuff. I bought 3 bricks as that was all the shop had. Remember mine is the MTR (MATCH CHAMBER). Mine won’t chamber CCI standard. I can get the bolt to close. But it won’t extract unless I fire it.

I also have standard cz457 20 Varmint barrel (no match chamber) it seems to shoot well with the usual and quite likes Eley standard and well shoot CCI standard.

My Brother has a cz457 mtr with the 16inch barrel (doesn’t say match on it) not as tight as my chamber. It really liked the RWS club. So I bought a fair bit of it. The trigger on 16inch MTR needs a spring also. Won’t go much below 3lbs. I does think my brother will like a one pound trigger. I bought a spring for his. But I’ll get him to try mine first.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 2:22 pm

Mine seems to like Eley, namely Eley standard, and the Eley HV 38gn. The HV 40gn not so much. Have t tried anything RWS so will check it out when I get a chance. Thanks gents.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 27 Dec 2020, 3:39 pm

Jim is yours the MTR or just normal varmint?

Cooper from taking to the CZ ladies at the melb shot show both the 16 abs 20 inch barrels in 22lr come with match chamber. (The 22wmr or 17hmr don't).
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 3:52 pm

Mate mine is just the 457 American.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 27 Dec 2020, 5:03 pm

cz515 wrote:Jim is yours the MTR or just normal varmint?

Cooper from taking to the CZ ladies at the melb shot show both the 16 abs 20 inch barrels in 22lr come with match chamber. (The 22wmr or 17hmr don't).

Yeah not sure about that? I was lead to believe that they both come with the match chamber also. However the the 20 inch has Match written on it. The 16inch does not have Match written on it. I’m also pretty sure I remember running CCI standard through the 16 inch one without it been really hard to close bolt. Some How the chamber on my 20inch is definitely tighter for some reason.

The only HV ammo I tried was the Federal Hunter Match. It shoot quite well. Plenty more testing to do. I will probably put standard Varmint barrel in for the high velocity stuff.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MrClicky » 28 Dec 2020, 11:45 am

Bought a 457 synthetic as a small pest tool for around the property and the occasional range day. Out of ten different ammos trialled it loves the SK Pistol Match slightly more than the SK Standard Plus. Next best and a bit cheaper is the CCI Standard. In HV the CCI Velocitor was OK-ish but that could be more me than it at least at 50m.
MrClicky
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles