Southern Cross Small Arms chassis

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Southern Cross Small Arms chassis

Post by Adzy » 27 Dec 2020, 8:59 pm

Has anyone seen the new chassis for the LA101 ? It looks great, if accuracy is enhanced like other chassis then they will be very popular.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Southern Cross Small Arms chassis

Post by Adzy » 17 Jan 2021, 12:10 pm

Adzy wrote:Has anyone seen the new chassis for the LA101 ? It looks great, if accuracy is enhanced like other chassis then they will be very popular.
. Here is a photo of the new chassis.
Attachments
F0AA3AE5-6088-4A4E-9508-8EC02B743656.png
F0AA3AE5-6088-4A4E-9508-8EC02B743656.png (638.07 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2021, 4:37 pm

Finally!!

But I bet they don't come in left handed :(
Member-Deleted

Post by Yes » 28 Jan 2021, 6:34 pm

I'd be all over this for my Tikka T1x if it was available in a colour other than black!

Does anyone know where it is best to purchase the SCSM chassis?
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SAnewb85 » 29 Jan 2021, 9:34 pm

Yes wrote:I'd be all over this for my Tikka T1x if it was available in a colour other than black!

Cerakote it whatever colour you want
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 30 Jan 2021, 12:55 am

This looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 30 Jan 2021, 7:53 am

deye243 wrote:This looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way

I agree . It has all the style and charm of a soviet creation . However the good news is that an alloy chassis can look like crap but still shoot better than less durable stocks and keep it's accuracy much longer without re-bedding and such that you may have to do with say a wood stock after a few years . The biggest draw back is they are cold as bugger to carry and use in winter .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bugman » 30 Jan 2021, 8:18 am

deye243 wrote:This looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way

Must admit I too agree.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 30 Jan 2021, 8:25 am

SAnewb85 wrote:
Yes wrote:I'd be all over this for my Tikka T1x if it was available in a colour other than black!

Cerakote it whatever colour you want

Yeah, since my last post I have investigated the chassis a little more, including the Cerakote option - that adds $200-$300 to the cost. MDT/MDT Oryx/Bravo do various colours direct from the factory for the same money as the Small Arms and have the benefit of having been tested in the field and on the range with great results the world over. For the money, the Oryx is the pick of the bunch I think - the problem is they aren't available except for a special order.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 30 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

The Oryx looks good , one solid piece and polymer comfort grips for winter weather .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Yes » 30 Jan 2021, 11:41 am

JohnV wrote:The Oryx looks good , one solid piece and polymer comfort grips for winter weather .

Yeah and you change those bits to different colours/or in the unlikely event that they get damaged. It's a well thought out platform.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 30 Jan 2021, 11:59 pm

One question. Why?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 31 Jan 2021, 6:55 am

Because once you have been using wooden and cheap synthetic stocks for enough years you learn that they don't hold their accuracy as well as an alloy chassis will , wood stocks bend and warp , bedding material can go bad , delaminate and wood can go soft underneath the bedding . Bore solvents and gun oil can can get under the bedding and soften wood and some synthetics . Solid alloy is more reliable as long as the action is a stress free , good fitting bolt up in the alloy stock .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Yes » 31 Jan 2021, 8:37 am

Diamond Jim wrote:One question. Why?

Like JohnV, it is said that there is an accuracy improvement. That is hard to quantify for many reasons. One is comfort; the more in-tune/better you fit with the gun, the better you are likely to shoot.

I actually got to handle the Oryx at my LGS yesterday, and it feels amazing in the hand. I put a deposit down on the chassis, extra spacers, and the FDE colour panels for my T1X.

As to the main reason "why" for me? I like the look of all my guns - wood, the Tikka composite, whatever the case may be. But I like to change things up - hence why I got the FDE panels as well... I can change the look of my T1X from the forrest green to FDE by undoing some screws. Do I expect huge accuracy improvements? No. But there is no doubt the gun will fit me better ergonomically, which MAY translate on paper.

Either way, it's not going to shoot any worse, I like the look, can swap back to the OG stock in a couple of minutes, and it costs about the same as two dinners out with my wife :unknown:
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 31 Jan 2021, 12:43 pm

What you will get with a solid alloy stock for sure is , if you left the gun in the safe for 10 years and then took it out and shoot some groups you would see that the accuracy has not changed . Any slight changes will be variations in the ammo and conditions from sighting in too 10 years later . In most cases with cartridges that have some recoil you will see a tighter group changing from a wood stock to a solid chassis . It's just way more rigid .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Yes » 31 Jan 2021, 3:55 pm

JohnV wrote:What you will get with a solid alloy stock for sure is , if you left the gun in the safe for 10 years and then took it out and shoot some groups you would see that the accuracy has not changed . Any slight changes will be variations in the ammo and conditions from sighting in too 10 years later . In most cases with cartridges that have some recoil you will see a tighter group changing from a wood stock to a solid chassis . It's just way more rigid .

Yeah when I held the Oryx you can feel its rigid. Not that the T1X stock is flimsy, but there is a huge and noticeable difference between the two. Really nice weight (mostly for bench) and the cheek rest and spacers to adjust the pull is a great addition. I'll likely add the adjustable MDT grip down the track.

As I say, only time will tell if I'm more accurate - but either way, I know I'll be more comfortable.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 02 Feb 2021, 10:48 am

I have solid proof of accuracy improvement in my alloy chassis against a cheap Ramline plastic stock properly bedded .
.243 barrel on in the Ramline stock it was just able to average under 1 inch around .75 average .
Move the barreled action to the alloy stock , with thin epoxy skim bedding and groups fell to around .5 average .
You have to keep in mind that this is out of a Mauser 98 action made over 100 years ago and only modifications is a new firing pin spring , Timney sportsman trigger and a low swing safety . Barrel is new , a 26 1/2 inch MAB Select 1 in 10 .
Shooting from the bench on a Harris bi-pod and the rear cantilever monopod . In the field on dirt the feet of the bi-pod will experience recoil under varying friction or resistance in the surface of the soil so it will show some slightly wider horizontal dispersion added too any wind .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles