Accurate "Long Term Keeper" Rimfires? (Air/.22)

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Accurate "Long Term Keeper" Rimfires? (Air/.22)

Post by Jethro_E7 » 15 Apr 2021, 6:41 pm

Hi all,
Just a new user, long time reader.. :)
What would you suggest as a decent, accurate and enjoyable .22?
It would be my first - and I don't intend to swap guns around all the time, just looking for some target practice, and perhaps some varminting.
I was thinking a good, used air rifle .177 and a quality .22.
I already have a scope ready for the .22 (I was able to pick up a nice Leupold Freedom VX 3-9x40) so I want the .22 scoped.
I have done a little research, and it seems a CZ 455/422 or a BRNO Model 2 would be nice, or an Anschutz (which models?) for the .22 and I am quite unfamiliar with air rifles, except perhaps the Diana Model 50?
I really quite liked the LA101, but it seems the accuracy is not as good as the BRNO's/CZ's.
Would love some suggestions. I was thinking of a budget of about $1000-1500 (more or less) for both, of course, used.
Any thoughts?
Jethro_E7
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Accurate "Long Term Keeper" Rimfires? (Air/.22)

Post by in2anity » 16 Apr 2021, 3:48 pm

Jethro_E7 wrote:I really quite liked the LA101, but it seems the accuracy is not as good as the BRNO's/CZ's.

I can assure you they're as accurate as a BRNO's/CZ's. LA101's routinely bring home the golds in our club 3-P shoots out to 100m. Have you looked at the Bergara B-14 R? They rival the Annies in terms of brute accuracy. The Annies are great but they are pricey and usually have tight chambers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efyROtF ... ziereviews
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm

Jethro_E7 wrote:Hi all,
Just a new user, long time reader.. :)
What would you suggest as a decent, accurate and enjoyable .22?
It would be my first - and I don't intend to swap guns around all the time, just looking for some target practice, and perhaps some varminting.
I was thinking a good, used air rifle .177 and a quality .22.
I already have a scope ready for the .22 (I was able to pick up a nice Leupold Freedom VX 3-9x40) so I want the .22 scoped.
I have done a little research, and it seems a CZ 455/422 or a BRNO Model 2 would be nice, or an Anschutz (which models?) for the .22 and I am quite unfamiliar with air rifles, except perhaps the Diana Model 50?
I really quite liked the LA101, but it seems the accuracy is not as good as the BRNO's/CZ's.
Would love some suggestions. I was thinking of a budget of about $1000-1500 (more or less) for both, of course, used.
Any thoughts?

I don't buy any firearms I don't intend to keep forever. I would suggest buying something because you really enjoy shooting it, otherwise it's likely to live in the safe. Pretty rifles can be great, but not if you find them too pretty to take them out into the field.

I would suggest to any new shooter not to get stuck on the idea of buying "the firearm" as your first encounters. You are better off with a mindset of trying all sorts of different things when starting out, then you'll have a far clearer idea of the sort of firearm you do want to keep forever.

Is the scope you bought a rimfire scope? If it's not, you might not like it at the close ranges most people generally shoot .22LR.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 16 Apr 2021, 6:29 pm

I’m very new to shooting too and following advice of others, comments on here, price, and the deal available at the time, I bought a cz455 with carbon sleeve. I didn’t get the thumbhole stock as I don’t like the look of them. I think in terms of price they are hard to beat and if you are prepared to pay another $300 odd you can get another barrel in.17 or .22mag which makes it versatile, but I think I will stick with .22 only and simply use another rifle in a different caliber. The only complaint I have is the cleaning process. I bought the proper guide, rod and patches. Initially I found the patches needed to be on the smaller side but then realised the rod was being scratched by what I’m told is the ejector. I’ve since bought a rope to avoid this issue. Otherwise it’s nicely finished, seems to function well and be accurate. Only a few hundred rounds but leaning towards sk as preferred ammo. Hope that helps.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 16 Apr 2021, 7:44 pm

My choice of what you’ve mentioned would be the Lithgow. I’ve only got one in 223, great rifle, but I’ve been very tempted to buy one in 22. Ruger are also definitely worth a look, their budget American line are really good, I’ve now got three, 22mag, 22lr and 243. I never thought I’d be a big fan until I bought one, and they just work. They have a big range of rifles and one of them might interest you.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 16 Apr 2021, 7:54 pm

You should send the rifle (CZ) back if the ejector is scratching the rod. They will file it down for you--& get them to replace the rod too...!!!
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lsfan » 16 Apr 2021, 8:17 pm

Skinna wrote:You should send the rifle (CZ) back if the ejector is scratching the rod. They will file it down for you--& get them to replace the rod too...!!!

Really? I’ve heard from several people that it’s the norm with them. I figured that using a rope will avoid the issue, plus in my experience, take something back and it always comes back with another problem.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Apr 2021, 8:48 pm

My forever rimfire is a '57 Brno mod 2, super accurate and good to look at long gone quality.
Avoid the [relatively] later rifles with the silly "hogsback" Euro stock, a good action and barrel in a stupid stock totally unsuitable for use with a scope.
You would need either a stock pack, looks silly on a rimfire, or a head like a horse to shoot scoped.
Happy news is it is difficult to bugger a rimfire .22 unless it has been dry fired a lot, in that case a fired case will not extract due to the chamber edge at firing pin being peened over by contact with the firing pin.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Apr 2021, 9:15 pm

Tiger650 wrote:My forever rimfire is a '57 Brno mod 2, super accurate and good to look at long gone quality.
Avoid the [relatively] later rifles with the silly "hogsback" Euro stock, a good action and barrel in a stupid stock totally unsuitable for use with a scope.
You would need either a stock pack, looks silly on a rimfire, or a head like a horse to shoot scoped.
Happy news is it is difficult to bugger a rimfire .22 unless it has been dry fired a lot, in that case a fired case will not extract due to the chamber edge at firing pin being peened over by contact with the firing pin.

Lol funny, but not sure if I agree. If anything, traditional yank stock styling has a drop at the heel - perfect for iron sights. Meanwhile the bavarian stocks, (and generally modern euro styling) gets your head up higher - more suitable for particularly a larger obj scope. Nah, my taste for for scoped shooting; I'd prefer a higher comb over the low heel the old brno mod2 sports. Not to mention the bolt throw on the CZ. You have to mount the scope even higher. One of the perks of the triple locking lugs on the new lithgow means the bolt throw only needs to be 60°.

Yes, a very polarising subject. The oldies at the club argue till they are blue about this.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2021, 8:59 am

i've just got a weihrauch hw60j with the single stage trigger . my opinion , excellent ! great balance that shoots of the shoulder well

my tack driving cz 452 american is looking very worried :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 18 Apr 2021, 7:42 am

I would really be hesitant to file an ejector down. I assume that was a joke.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 18 Apr 2021, 8:27 am

deanp100 wrote:I would really be hesitant to file an ejector down. I assume that was a joke.

Yeah that was my feeling too. Besides if I can get around it with a rope, then that’s what I’d prefer to do.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Apr 2021, 8:44 am

Jethro_E7 wrote:Hi all,
Any thoughts?

Jethro, this is likely as cheap as you'll ever see one of these: https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Product ... RA%20AE064

We have a famous old shooter in our club who has been recently using one of these for 100m 3-P. When he is on, his groups are stimply stunning. He is often robbed integer points, because of "hole-through-hole" miscounts.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allan » 18 Apr 2021, 11:25 am

Based on what I'm seeing, I tend to agree with that! (And given my love of high quality wood/blued rim fires, I NEVER thought I would say that!). I've now got a Vudoo sitting in Customs and if it shoots and functions as well as the B14R, I'll be satisfied. "in2anity", have you any idea of the round count on the Bergara at your club? Ours has just under 2,000 - Either we are still learning how to shoot it or it is improving with more rounds down the barrel!

The only unmodified production 22 I currently have that shoots as well as the steel barrelled B14R is a Weihrauch HW66JM. I have several 22's that will out-shoot the B14R but all have non factory match chambered barrels.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Shootermick » 18 Apr 2021, 11:34 am

Do many people shoot 22 bench rest with the Lithgow 101? I don’t know much about bench rest and have never done it. I might try and get to a club and have a look to decide if it might be for me.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scoot » 18 Apr 2021, 12:27 pm

Got a b14r carbon barrel a few months ago and agree with all the posts above. It's a good piece of kit. Although more than the op budget for a rimfire and air rifle, I believe it's not a far stretch from any of the standard new rimfire offerings. Think tikka, la101,cz,etc. With what you get in terms of stock, finish, compatibility of r700 accessories, accuracy, etc,etc I think they are really good value. To get to the same point with another rifle your either spending more cash or you've got lucky....just my opinion.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by allan » 18 Apr 2021, 2:11 pm

Shootermick wrote:Do many people shoot 22 bench rest with the Lithgow 101? I don’t know much about bench rest and have never done it. I might try and get to a club and have a look to decide if it might be for me.

Depends on how serious you are, Mick. For club level rimfire hunter class, I certainly wouldn't feel under gunned with a good LA101 but they won't compete with a half decent true BR outfit.
I think I got a bit lucky with my laminated LA101 - The Maddco I put on it turned it into the most accurate 22 of its type I have owned. My factory LA101 sits in a Hatcher stock with a wide, flat fore end and is very stable in a rest.

This one could be the "sleeper" from the current offerings in 22LR - The original 64MPR was a good rifle and the new 1761MPR (available now with 2 stage trigger) should be a great all round range 22. Last year, I did a bit of a build on a 1761 thumb hole - Trueflite, bedding, trigger work, metal trigger guard etc. I haven't really had the chance to fully wring it out but it's every bit as good as any 1710 I've owned over the years. There are so many good 22's around these days that Anschutz have almost priced themselves out of the market.

https://www.nordicmarksman.com/1761-MP- ... rpose.html
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by in2anity » 18 Apr 2021, 2:36 pm

allan wrote:"in2anity", have you any idea of the round count on the Bergara at your club? Ours has just under 2,000 - Either we are still learning how to shoot it or it is improving with more rounds down the barrel!

The only unmodified production 22 I currently have that shoots as well as the steel barrelled B14R is a Weihrauch HW66JM. I have several 22's that will out-shoot the B14R but all have non factory match chambered barrels.

No idea Allan - but it would have to be up there. He shoots a lot. He used to run the la101, but had some beef with the extractor, from what I can remember. Of course you can still shoot a possible with la101 (I compete with one myself and absolutely adore it; a lovely gun to shoot from the service sling), but that b14r is something else. We are a Service Rifle club, so nobody is benchresting, nevertheless you can spot that b14r down in the pitts, just by how bloody well it groups.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles