22 Hornet vs .223 Remington

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: 22 Hornet vs .223 Remington

Post by Westy » 04 May 2014, 7:53 am

Warrigul wrote:
Westy wrote:Tell me when you reduce your loads to 60% what are they grouping like???Wouldn't the projectiles want to tumble
Just Curious???? :?: :?: :?:

It really depends on the twist and the weight of the projectile, if the powder load is light and if the velocity x twist rate(to make it simple) is too low you simply drive it a little bit harder until you get decent groups. I can run a 55 grainer down to 1000fps in my .223 and it is still accurate out to 100, albeit with a hideous drop. The only reason I was using 40 grain .22magnum projectiles is I wanted expansion and they were very cheap

If it isn't stabilising usually you get REALLY bad groups and fliers(like 6" plus), when you see "keyholing" you are definately in trouble.

If it isn't stabilising then you just drive it a bit faster.

Whist your groups might not be great, I like yourself love dicking around with diffrent loads to see what will happen and see if you can push the envolope!!! :geek: :mrgreen: :geek: Got my 223 out yesterday and remembered how much I love that thing!!!! :D ;) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 04 May 2014, 12:46 pm

Westy wrote:
Whist your groups might not be great, I like yourself love dicking around with diffrent loads to see what will happen and see if you can push the envolope!!! :geek: :mrgreen: :geek: Got my 223 out yesterday and remembered how much I love that thing!!!! :D ;) :D

Yep, gotta love a challenge.

If you are really keen then a chronograph is a must.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Varmtr » 09 May 2014, 1:56 pm

Westy
If you do get a Hornet get a tin of Hodgdon Lil-Gun thats if you can find it. I use it in my K-Hornet better velocity, accuracy and no pressure signs compared to AR2205. I know of 4 other hornet users that have swapped over to Lil-Gun with the same results I have found.
Lil-Gun can be hard to come by as it's imported by Winchester.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 09 May 2014, 7:33 pm

Varmtr wrote:Westy
If you do get a Hornet get a tin of Hodgdon Lil-Gun thats if you can find it. I use it in my K-Hornet better velocity, accuracy and no pressure signs compared to AR2205. I know of 4 other hornet users that have swapped over to Lil-Gun with the same results I have found.
Lil-Gun can be hard to come by as it's imported by Winchester.

Thanks for the heads up Varmtr have been on the look out for some but finding it is as hard as finding new brass for this Cal!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Rob84 » 10 May 2014, 10:55 pm

I have out through 4000 through my 223 and it suits me just fine
Comparing are comparing a 223 to a 17 hornet then it's always going to be loud and no comparison diferent case capacity and a 55gr vs a 20gr projectile
Then comparing to a 300 black which wont launch a 110gr over 2130fps with a smaller poweder capacity than the 223 again

It sounds like you are sold on the 17 hornet so sell you 223 and buy it if that is what suits you
Expensive at cases $48 per 50 for what they are
Rob84
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 11 May 2014, 7:42 am

Rob84 wrote:I have out through 4000 through my 223 and it suits me just fine
Comparing are comparing a 223 to a 17 hornet then it's always going to be loud and no comparison diferent case capacity and a 55gr vs a 20gr projectile
Then comparing to a 300 black which wont launch a 110gr over 2130fps with a smaller poweder capacity than the 223 again

It sounds like you are sold on the 17 hornet so sell you 223 and buy it if that is what suits you
Expensive at cases $48 per 50 for what they are

Ummm we are talking about a 22 hornet here :?: :?: :?: Sorry Mate to have to be the one to tell ytou this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles