.17 WSM - Opinions and Experiences?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.17 WSM - Opinions and Experiences?

Post by N.Field » 18 May 2021, 8:06 am

I'm thinking of buying a Winchester 1885 in .17 WSM but before taking the final step I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience of the round in any of the rifles it's currently available in.

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: .17 WSM - Opinions and Experiences?

Post by in2anity » 18 May 2021, 8:13 am

with the mass around the 223 market, is this "in addition to my 223"?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 18 May 2021, 8:33 am

Had a look at wsm a while back, but ended with hmr, mainly because of the more readily available ammo at the time. The wsm is a better performer, for speed, projectile weight and handling wind shifts. I will admit that I really like my Sako 17hmr and staying with it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 May 2021, 9:08 am

Whilst still being comparatively pricey, the HMR is significantly cheaper to run. 22lr is still a bit of a no brainer. The HMR will allow you to reach out just that little further with confidence.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2021, 9:14 am

N.Field wrote:I'm thinking of buying a Winchester 1885 in .17 WSM but before taking the final step I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience of the round in any of the rifles it's currently available in.

If you search gaznazdiak's posts, he had one and really liked it, but wind was a problem and he sold it to get a .223 instead. He did quite a bit of shooting with it as I bought hundreds of spent WSM cases off him.
search.php?author_id=2859&sr=posts
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 18 May 2021, 10:00 am

bladeracer wrote:
N.Field wrote:I'm thinking of buying a Winchester 1885 in .17 WSM but before taking the final step I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience of the round in any of the rifles it's currently available in.

If you search gaznazdiak's posts, he had one and really liked it, but wind was a problem and he sold it to get a .223 instead. He did quite a bit of shooting with it as I bought hundreds of spent WSM cases off him.

Thanks for the tip, I'm working through his posts.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 10:08 am

Considering that the hmr is just as expensive as the wsm but a crap load less powerful I'd happily own a 17wsm. Unfortunately I was left a 17hmr by my late best mate,so I stick with that. In my testing of the 17hmr vs 22 mag,the 17hmr drifting about half as much over 100m as the 22 mag....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 10:14 am

So in short,if I had the choice,I'd happily own the rifle in question in 17wsm
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 18 May 2021, 11:53 am

bladeracer wrote:

I'm intrigued what you used the spent cases for, being rimfire
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by N.Field » 18 May 2021, 1:38 pm

disco stu wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'm intrigued what you used the spent cases for, being rimfire

Me too :?:
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2021, 1:56 pm

disco stu wrote:I'm intrigued what you used the spent cases for, being rimfire

I used them to make bullets for the 6.5x52R Carcano. Cut the case head off and seat a jacketed .243" bullet into the case. I used them both ways around, also some paper-patched bullets in the background.
Attachments
091120161680.jpg
091120161680.jpg (640.39 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
091120161703.jpg
091120161703.jpg (656.48 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 1:59 pm

Thats extremely cool !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2021, 2:07 pm

bigpete wrote:Thats extremely cool !

The only jacketed bullet I've found that actually shoots okay in it is the Hornady .264" 160gn RN, all other bullets tumble due to being just slightly under-size for the bore. I have a few hundred of them, but they're expensive for plinking ammo. Paper-patched .243" bullets give me a cheap and light plinking bullet. The bullets in the picture are old 75gn Hornady's I bought in '84 for $16.

I just picked up some 20gn .172" bullets that I want to try in some other calibers also.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 2:26 pm

I've toyed about making solids for my 45/70 using 44 mag cases,but they measure out at .456 so are .001" too small. Never shot them
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 18 May 2021, 2:53 pm

17 WSM is a Crackin round, Ive owned 2 Ruger WSMs, also had a Tikka T1x in 17HMR (great gun, mag & trigger)

The 17hmr really is a 100yd gun despite claims that you can knock over foxes out to 150m....most will run off or you miss due to massive wind drift

The 17WSM knocks over foxes with ease out to 200yd and has similar trajectory to the 223, so its easy to use. All 17WSM ammo Ive bought was cheaper then HMR, it always pays to ask for a discount.

17HMR all suffers alot of dud rounds (flyers) and split necks, the WSM on the other hand is tonnes more reliable and accuracy is as good as 0.5MOA for 5 shots if you can do your bit, the HMR cant do that. The Ammo just isnt up to the task.

They only thing that would I would question with the Winchester 1885 is the trigger and can it be adjusted or smithed. :drinks:
Last edited by Bill on 18 May 2021, 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2021, 3:17 pm

bigpete wrote:I've toyed about making solids for my 45/70 using 44 mag cases,but they measure out at .456 so are .001" too small. Never shot them

The annoying part of that would be cutting the rim off, maybe you could put them in a drill press and use a file.
Only 1-thou under might still work with a long bearing surface. I'd try one.
Base diameter should be .457".
With .44Mag try pushing a .432" bullet right into the bottom, then cut it to length.

Have you tried paper-patching .430" bullets up to .458"?

My .45 Colt fired brass is .468", you could try running them into a .458" sizing die, then cut them off to the length you need.

Personally I'd value the brass more than the bullet.
You could try getting some 3/8" copper tube, which is 9.5mm OD (.375") and 1mm wall thickness. Anneal it with a torch, cut it to the lengths required, then use a mandrel to punch it up to .458", pour lead into it and try it. With a straight-walled tube there is a slight risk of leaving the jacket in the bore, but it'd be worth at least testing. Even 400gn will be an inch long which should mitigate that likelihood due to the amount of surface area.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 18 May 2021, 3:23 pm

Bill wrote:

17 WSM is a Crackin round, Ive owned 2 Ruger WSMs, also had a Tikka T1x in 17HMR (great gun, mag & trigger)

The 17hmr really is a 100yd gun despite claims that you can knock over foxes out to 150m....most will run off or you miss due to massive with drift

The 17WSM knocks over foxes with ease out to 200yd and has similar trajectory to the 223, so its ease to use. All 17WSM ammo Ive bought was cheaper then HMR, it always pays to ask for a discount.

17HMR all suffers alot of dud rounds (flyers) and split necks, the WSM on the other hand is tonnes more reliable and accuracy is as good as 0.5MOA for 5 shots if you can do your bit, the HMR cant do that. The Ammo just isnt up to the task.

They only thing that would I would question with the Winchester 1885 is the trigger and can it be adjusted or smithed. :drinks:

Good points Bill, but I have easily knocked over foxes out to 150m with my 17hmr, BUT this type of shooting was done early morning and evening when there was virtually no wind at all. Also I can say that I have never had any split cases, although I had heard about this before I bought the rifle and I have not had many flyers (maybe I have been lucky). At 100m the best I have grouped is .600 MOA and that is good enough for bunnies (which is really why I bought it).
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 3:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:I've toyed about making solids for my 45/70 using 44 mag cases,but they measure out at .456 so are .001" too small. Never shot them

The annoying part of that would be cutting the rim off, maybe you could put them in a drill press and use a file.
Only 1-thou under might still work with a long bearing surface. I'd try one.
Base diameter should be .457".
With .44Mag try pushing a .432" bullet right into the bottom, then cut it to length.

Have you tried paper-patching .430" bullets up to .458"?

My .45 Colt fired brass is .468", you could try running them into a .458" sizing die, then cut them off to the length you need.

Personally I'd value the brass more than the bullet.
You could try getting some 3/8" copper tube, which is 9.5mm OD (.375") and 1mm wall thickness. Anneal it with a torch, cut it to the lengths required, then use a mandrel to punch it up to .458", pour lead into it and try it. With a straight-walled tube there is a slight risk of leaving the jacket in the bore, but it'd be worth at least testing. Even 400gn will be an inch long which should mitigate that likelihood due to the amount of surface area.

I turned the rim off using my drill press and a file. I filled empty cases with lead. I should try them but eh,I've got my gun sorted out now
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 18 May 2021, 3:28 pm

Bill wrote:

The 17hmr really is a 100yd gun despite claims that you can knock over foxes out to 150m....most will run off or you miss due to massive with drift

The 17WSM knocks over foxes with ease out to 200yd and has similar trajectory to the 223, so its ease to use. All 17WSM ammo Ive bought was cheaper then HMR, it always pays to ask for a discount.

Different experience to me sans the grouping.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by N.Field » 18 May 2021, 6:13 pm

Bill wrote:

According to one of the reviews:
"A good feature is the adjustable trigger. There is a small screw in the bottom of the trigger that is turned clockwise to lighten or counter-clockwise to increase the trigger pull. The adjustment range is specified as 3.5 to 5.0 pounds, although our rifle's trigger actually released at a measured three pounds with the adjustment screw turned fully clockwise. The trigger itself is wide and grooved for easy control. This is a good trigger with a crisp release."
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 18 May 2021, 8:02 pm

If 3lbs then Id say yes go for it you only live once. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by N.Field » 20 May 2021, 10:13 am

Thanks for all of the responses. As it turns out, the rifle I was after got away from me even though I was the first responder to the ad. The seller's dealer refused to get involved in a transfer to WA due to " . . . the additional rules and restrictions".

This was an $1100 deal. Clayton Firearms still has a couple but they have a price tag of $2280 plus shipping. Given some pretty poor reviews that I've since read I'm not going any further with the idea.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 May 2021, 1:31 pm

N.Field.
IMO just buy a 222 or 223.
Components always available
Components generally cheap
Ammo generally cheap
Ammo very common
More versatile round
Bore easier to clean
Rifle common and perhaps cheaper.
If reloading you can down load a bit to hornet if you want.

They are both very popular for a reason
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2021, 1:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:N.Field.
Ammo generally cheap
Ammo very common
More versatile round
Bore easier to clean

Agree completely, get an 8"-twist .223 and load your own ammo, makes it incredibly versatile. 35gn bullets at 3900fps or 1000fps depending on usage, up to 80gn bullets at 2850fps.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 20 May 2021, 5:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Ammo generally cheap
Ammo very common
More versatile round
Bore easier to clean

Agree completely, get an 8"-twist .223 and load your own ammo, makes it incredibly versatile. 35gn bullets at 3900fps or 1000fps depending on usage, up to 80gn bullets at 2850fps.

All good advice methinks :thumbsup:
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 20 May 2021, 7:10 pm

Ammo generally cheap
Ammo very common
More versatile round
Bore easier to clean

And be the same as everyone else ? Bah humbug !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 21 May 2021, 6:44 am

I like my 17hmr by marlin did have 2 great bunny gun and I have dropped pigs also but not from any great distance and shot placement is key, I found running the 17g V-MAX pills they would sometimes split the neck of the shell anyone else had this ?
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2021, 12:26 pm

"And be the same as everyone else ? Bah humbug !"
bigpete

That's correct. But it depends on its intended use. The 17 is very specialised. If that is what he needs good luck.

But the 222 and 223 are far more versatile. Everybody has them (like u said) for a reason.
Its horses for course's.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2021, 12:46 pm

CT hillbilly wrote:I like my 17hmr by marlin did have 2 great bunny gun and I have dropped pigs also but not from any great distance and shot placement is key, I found running the 17g V-MAX pills they would sometimes split the neck of the shell anyone else had this ?

I think neck splitting is faitly common with HMR.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles