.22LR squib

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.22LR squib

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2021, 6:19 pm

Was shooting some six-year-old Remington Cyclone yesterday and had some very light loads, including a squib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liokXBEoX_I
Pulled the bullet from a round, chambered the charged case, and fired the squib out, then carried on shooting.
Thought I had one a little earlier as well, but I realised I'd heard the bullet hit the dirt somewhere ahead of me.
Cyclones are supposed to be 1240fps I think, but some of these were definitely subsonic.
They have very loose bullets so I guess some have been attacked by the elements.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: .22LR squib

Post by ZaineB » 26 May 2021, 6:27 pm

remington ammo is atrocious at least everything I have used, Unburned powder left on the table infront of the muzzle, massive variance in poi, they are just plain garbage, surprised this doesnt happen more often, especially with longer barrel rifles.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2021, 6:34 pm

ZaineB wrote:remington ammo is atrocious at least everything I have used, Unburned powder left on the table in front of the muzzle, massive variance in poi, they are just plain garbage, surprised this doesnt happen more often, especially with longer barrel rifles.

I'm not a great fan of the Cyclones, but I bought an awful lot of them cheap (I was looking for a lot of very cheap ammo to do some batch testing with, and my dealer had a lot of Cyclones he offered me a deal on), and they do shoot very well for me, at least they do when they're not playing up like this :-)

I was shooting Federal 510 last week and dumping the brass into my pocket. When I cleaned it out later there was a lot of powder residue in there, like sand.

Some Remington stuff is not bad, like Yellow Jacket, Subsonic and Target.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 May 2021, 7:13 pm

I had a box of power points with issues like that, I put it down to storage issues, one too many years of extreme heat in a vehicle.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ZaineB » 26 May 2021, 9:01 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I had a box of power points with issues like that, I put it down to storage issues, one too many years of extreme heat in a vehicle.

remington ones I had never ending problems with were brand new, straight out the shop. and residue was literally unburned powder, still complete, like it was made of inert material.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 27 May 2021, 8:40 pm

Had a box of Remington Cyclone a while back, some were full on duds [fail to fire] and generally poor accuracy.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 28 May 2021, 1:03 am

Not long after getting my Ruger Mk IV I was having a great time mag dumping all sorts of different ammo at the range, much of it the really cheap and nasty stuff. Anyway,after one particular shot I had a huge blowback that spat bits of soot and who knows what else into my face (and safety glasses) so I dismantled the pistol and everything looked clear so I assumed it was one bad round and carried on.

Some months time later I was pushing a patch through the bore (rare occurrence as I generally just use a brush) and the patch went loose as if it had come out of the muzzle and then tight again, After knowing it was there I could actually see the bulge in the rifling about 1 inch from the muzzle.

From a rest at 25m and using a red dot it could just about hold the 9 ring on a 25m precision target, I swapped the upper for a Volquartsen LLV unit and suddenly it could hold the 10 ring and I could see the bullet hit right where the dot was rather than just somewhere close to it.

I think it was Winchester Super X (the highest speed one) that I was using, must have got a squib just short of the muzzle and the next round hit it and disintegrated them both and damaging the barrel. The ammo was new but probably the worst junk ammo I've ever used.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles