Seeking Air Rifle Advice

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Seeking Air Rifle Advice

Post by Beinglis23 » 04 Jun 2021, 9:47 pm

I am beginning the process of looking for an air rifle to keep my garden free of rabbits. Several criteria come to mind and the knowledgeable here may add others. Range - 30 yards or less. It needs to be quiet. I want to minimize the potential for ricochets (which I assume is more pellet composition consideration) since we have lots of rocks around, accurate, relatively easy to charge and operate, and moderately priced (up to about $400). Which rifles should I consider? Thanks.
Beinglis23
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Seeking Air Rifle Advice

Post by No1_49er » 04 Jun 2021, 10:44 pm

Welcome to another US recruit, from the forum in the "land down under".
In $$ terms, what might be available for $400 in your local market will be vastly different to what's available here. Even air rifles have significant restrictions imposed on ownership and usage which makes their use for general vermin control somewhat "restrictive".
If it were me looking, given the parameters you have set, I would be inclined to look to the 2nd-hand/used market for something like a 25cal AirForce PCP. Even has the advantage/benefit of being a US product, so support will be very easy should you need it.
Another, if you can get them there, is the similarly named AirArms from the UK.
My own air rifle shooting is "paper-punching" with an Anschutz, but that's a different avenue altogether.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 05 Jun 2021, 7:10 am

G'day,

It must be remembered that air rifle shooters in the UK are limited to power out-put of 12 ft. pds. or under using tuned break-barrel air rifles unless they have a Fire Arms Certificate [FAC], yet routinely head-shoot rabbits at distances out to 30 yards or so. The point is that great power is not necessary for rabbiting. The modern PCP rifles are clearly very accurate, but there is the issue of pressurising them either by stirrup pump or compressor. I have an acquaintance who is shooting rabbits out to 60 yards with a PCP which I can only describe as more like a cannon - it's massively powerful - too powerful for your planned use. I have a number of Weihrauch break barrel rifles of which the HW 80 [in .177] is exceptional as is the HW 50, but there are other Weihrauch models that would meet your rabbiting needs. A calibre of .177 is more than enough, but there are heavier calibres. For use in the back yard air rifles still make a noise, often quite loud if their power output is very high. That's where sound moderators/'silencers' might be useful in your case if legal: https://www.airguninsight.com/air-gun-s ... d-to-know/

Break barrel air rifles take a bit of effort to master in terms of accuracy as they have a double recoil, but they would be my choice in your situation because of their simplicity. As for ricochet light-weight air rifle pellets do deflect easily so having a safe and soft back-stop is mandatory.

Airgun Nation is a good source of information: https://www.airgunnation.com/

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 06 Jun 2021, 10:39 am

What about a 22 with subsonic ammo? Much more versatile.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jun 2021, 1:15 pm

I’m nervous about useing an air rifle on rabbits. I hate the thought of rabbits running away wounded with lead in their face .....unless it’s a Texan 45 machine. But they are probably noisy and def not in the specified price range
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jun 2021, 1:23 pm

15 grains at 1200 FPS is roughly 2.5 times less grunt than 22LR
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 06 Jun 2021, 8:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m nervous about useing an air rifle on rabbits. I hate the thought of rabbits running away wounded with lead in their face .....unless it’s a Texan 45 machine. But they are probably noisy and def not in the specified price range

It's all about shot placement and being able judge distance effectively, have knocked rabbits over with a 177 and 22 air rifle out to 50-60 yds :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm

.22 air rifles go well on rabbits, out to 25mtrs is no problem for decent under lever springer.

I used to use mine around the house on rabbits regularly.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 07 Jun 2021, 6:46 am

G'day, It has to be remembered that in the USA small rodents like red squirrels, chipmunks, and so on are routinely shot around their homes by people using air rifles. When I lived in northern Wisconsin any red squirrel seen was shot on sight as they are damned, destructive nuisances. In the UK the introduced gray squirrel is hunted relentlessly by shooters using air rifles as it is taking over the habitat of the native red squirrel. It's all about careful aim and taking care that the range is not too far.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 07 Jun 2021, 1:39 pm

Before Howard I remember kids in the neighbourhood shooting ducks at the local park or in their backyards with their little break action air rifles.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles