CZ 515 Tactical - Accuracy Problems?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 515 Tactical - Accuracy Problems?

Post by ThePlinkster » 08 Jun 2021, 8:01 pm

Hey guys

I was thinking about buying a "CZ 515 tactical"

However

I do have an area of concern about it

I have read a few reviews about the CZ 515 tactical
And one issue that people seem to mention quite frequently about it, is the fact that its picatinny rail is not fixed to the action in any way
Which allows flex/movement to happen (thus creating point of impact shift)
Which obviously negatively affects accuracy
Which is disappointing..
(If anyone struggles to understand what I mean, this bloke here explains the problem and shows the problem quite well in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOrP9Ph9TOk)

I'm wondering if anyone here does have the CZ 515 tactical and if anyone else has experienced accuracy problems with it?

Before buying one
I'm trying to work out if this accuracy problem is widespread amongst all CZ 515 tactical's or if it's just a few lemons here and there

Thank you
ThePlinkster
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: CZ 515 Tactical - Accuracy Problems?

Post by InisBineest » 08 Jun 2021, 9:14 pm

For what it is worth, I did a big review on this rifle kicking about somewhere here. I didn't have any accuracy problems with mine, and i specifically checked the rail as I too heard of some of the reported issues around that. I only had a 3-9x40 scope on mine, so not a heavy optic, but there was no wiggle room in it whatsoever.

All that said, I did sell mine on (and my trusted CZ 455) to by a Bergara B-14r Carbon. The 455 I only sold as I had no reason to have two similar bolt action 22s (and it gave me the funds to buy the B-14r) but I did sell the 515 on account of it being... rather plasticky. It felt ok, and a step above the Savage A22r, but just ok. I don't have anything to support my hunch, but I don't know how it would go after 10000 rounds or more, as the bolt rides on a plastic lower. That was my one area of concern that I only identified after my review.

I'd still rate them highly, and the modularity and form of it is amazing, but for that you have to put up with a plastic buffer tube and lower.
Bergara B-14r, Lithgow No.1 -22lr
WFA1L .223/300blk

Gone:
Rem700VSF, CZ527FS -.223
CZ527 American .222
PWS Summit, Mossberg802, CZ452FS,455 & 515 Tac, Savage A22R, -22lr
Boito12G
Marlin1895, 45-70
Ruger No.1 308
AlfaProj Carbine .357/38
InisBineest
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 09 Jun 2021, 7:37 pm

InisBineest wrote:For what it is worth, I did a big review on this rifle kicking about somewhere here. I didn't have any accuracy problems with mine, and i specifically checked the rail as I too heard of some of the reported issues around that. I only had a 3-9x40 scope on mine, so not a heavy optic, but there was no wiggle room in it whatsoever.

All that said, I did sell mine on (and my trusted CZ 455) to by a Bergara B-14r Carbon. The 455 I only sold as I had no reason to have two similar bolt action 22s (and it gave me the funds to buy the B-14r) but I did sell the 515 on account of it being... rather plasticky. It felt ok, and a step above the Savage A22r, but just ok. I don't have anything to support my hunch, but I don't know how it would go after 10000 rounds or more, as the bolt rides on a plastic lower. That was my one area of concern that I only identified after my review.

I'd still rate them highly, and the modularity and form of it is amazing, but for that you have to put up with a plastic buffer tube and lower.

I'm glad to hear that your CZ 515 tactical was accurate
I know someone else as well who has achieved great accuracy with their CZ 515 tactical who had no accuracy problems also
But I also know others who had accuracy problems with their CZ 515 tactical due to the unstable picatinny rail

So far
I guess that the feedback that I have gotten has been quite 50/50
Annoying
Makes it hard to make a decision lol

Maybe I have no choice but to take a leap of faith
Maybe I should just buy it and see what happens

If the CZ 515 tactical didn't have this annoying unstable picatinny rail problem
It would be such a superb fantastic awesome gun
Ugh lol
ThePlinkster
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 11 Jun 2021, 1:33 am

My 515 tactical is accurate enough for the style of rifle it is. The design of the rail and stock are a real let down though. I have had the rear rail screw rattle loose after a few hundred rounds but a dab of loctite has prevented any further issues. I have put about 1500 rounds through it now and have not had any other issues. The biggest pain with the tac version is having to remove the scope every time you want to strip it down to clean the action. I have a 1 piece UTG cantilever mount that holds fairly close to zero but is still off a couple of clicks.
I bought the rifle just because I could and for the novelty of what it is. My son likes it and has claimed it as his. If I was buying it for me I would go with the wood stocked version having said that I would just buy the Savage and save a few hundred dollars. You can buy the Savage with a decent scope and rings and still have plenty of change.
Mattraff
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles