CZ 515 Tactical - Accuracy Problems?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 515 Tactical - Accuracy Problems?

Post by ThePlinkster » 08 Jun 2021, 8:01 pm

Hey guys

I was thinking about buying a "CZ 515 tactical"

However

I do have an area of concern about it

I have read a few reviews about the CZ 515 tactical
And one issue that people seem to mention quite frequently about it, is the fact that its picatinny rail is not fixed to the action in any way
Which allows flex/movement to happen (thus creating point of impact shift)
Which obviously negatively affects accuracy
Which is disappointing..
(If anyone struggles to understand what I mean, this bloke here explains the problem and shows the problem quite well in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOrP9Ph9TOk)

I'm wondering if anyone here does have the CZ 515 tactical and if anyone else has experienced accuracy problems with it?

Before buying one
I'm trying to work out if this accuracy problem is widespread amongst all CZ 515 tactical's or if it's just a few lemons here and there

Thank you
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: CZ 515 Tactical - Accuracy Problems?

Post by InisBineest » 08 Jun 2021, 9:14 pm

For what it is worth, I did a big review on this rifle kicking about somewhere here. I didn't have any accuracy problems with mine, and i specifically checked the rail as I too heard of some of the reported issues around that. I only had a 3-9x40 scope on mine, so not a heavy optic, but there was no wiggle room in it whatsoever.

All that said, I did sell mine on (and my trusted CZ 455) to by a Bergara B-14r Carbon. The 455 I only sold as I had no reason to have two similar bolt action 22s (and it gave me the funds to buy the B-14r) but I did sell the 515 on account of it being... rather plasticky. It felt ok, and a step above the Savage A22r, but just ok. I don't have anything to support my hunch, but I don't know how it would go after 10000 rounds or more, as the bolt rides on a plastic lower. That was my one area of concern that I only identified after my review.

I'd still rate them highly, and the modularity and form of it is amazing, but for that you have to put up with a plastic buffer tube and lower.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 09 Jun 2021, 7:37 pm

InisBineest wrote:For what it is worth, I did a big review on this rifle kicking about somewhere here. I didn't have any accuracy problems with mine, and i specifically checked the rail as I too heard of some of the reported issues around that. I only had a 3-9x40 scope on mine, so not a heavy optic, but there was no wiggle room in it whatsoever.

All that said, I did sell mine on (and my trusted CZ 455) to by a Bergara B-14r Carbon. The 455 I only sold as I had no reason to have two similar bolt action 22s (and it gave me the funds to buy the B-14r) but I did sell the 515 on account of it being... rather plasticky. It felt ok, and a step above the Savage A22r, but just ok. I don't have anything to support my hunch, but I don't know how it would go after 10000 rounds or more, as the bolt rides on a plastic lower. That was my one area of concern that I only identified after my review.

I'd still rate them highly, and the modularity and form of it is amazing, but for that you have to put up with a plastic buffer tube and lower.

I'm glad to hear that your CZ 515 tactical was accurate
I know someone else as well who has achieved great accuracy with their CZ 515 tactical who had no accuracy problems also
But I also know others who had accuracy problems with their CZ 515 tactical due to the unstable picatinny rail

So far
I guess that the feedback that I have gotten has been quite 50/50
Annoying
Makes it hard to make a decision lol

Maybe I have no choice but to take a leap of faith
Maybe I should just buy it and see what happens

If the CZ 515 tactical didn't have this annoying unstable picatinny rail problem
It would be such a superb fantastic awesome gun
Ugh lol
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 11 Jun 2021, 1:33 am

My 515 tactical is accurate enough for the style of rifle it is. The design of the rail and stock are a real let down though. I have had the rear rail screw rattle loose after a few hundred rounds but a dab of loctite has prevented any further issues. I have put about 1500 rounds through it now and have not had any other issues. The biggest pain with the tac version is having to remove the scope every time you want to strip it down to clean the action. I have a 1 piece UTG cantilever mount that holds fairly close to zero but is still off a couple of clicks.
I bought the rifle just because I could and for the novelty of what it is. My son likes it and has claimed it as his. If I was buying it for me I would go with the wood stocked version having said that I would just buy the Savage and save a few hundred dollars. You can buy the Savage with a decent scope and rings and still have plenty of change.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Saltwaterbrock » 18 Aug 2022, 10:42 am

I have the tactical 515 in 22mag, I have experienced some accuracy issues with mine..

I have a red dot mounted on a 45° angle on the very front of the rifle pic rail, it shoots perfectly every time at 50m. No issues at all.

I have a 4.5 - 14 X 44 scope mounted over the receiver with soling quality high mounts. The issue I'm having is the same as others. The very first shot, every time, rides high, then settles and shoots superbly.. this happens every time you change magazines or move the rifle from it's resting position or manipulate it in any way.. the first shot consistently hits high by a good inch or two..

My hunch is because of this minutest flexibility, it's throwing the scope on the first shot into a "seated" position.

I've currently sent my rifle into my local gunsmith to have the pic rail tapped and screwed to the receiver. Do to the components of the rifle, he has managed to tap 3 screws. One towards the very front, one in the middle and one at the back. The gunsmith was very shocked that there was indeed alot of flex due to the design. This custom work should eliminate the flex or movement between the rail and receiver completely. I should have the rifle back in the coming week or two and I'll be testing it out extensively.

I will definitely post my results back here.

I will even go as far to create some video content on YouTube if it works. If not, it may just be used solely with the red dot on the front for a while until I can work out something else.

Other than this issue, the rifle has never miss fired or failed to cycle in anyway. It performs perfectly. Thus my reason to work out the accuracy issue.
Saltwaterbrock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by noneyabussiness » 19 Aug 2022, 5:49 am

I can't comment on the tactical version, but I have a " American " wood stock one... LOVE IT ... happly shoots to 100m sub 1 inch and easy to clean...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 20 Aug 2022, 9:12 am

As I discovered in my lifetime any alloy chassis to be the best for accuracy needs to be one solid billet from butt to forend . Of course they don't want to make them that way for cost and production reasons . The whole tacticool look is about catching the buyers imagination . Any joint between the forend tube and rear of the stock is a potential problem and that design looks flimsy to me . Never seen that gun before but if I was looking at it to buy the forend tube attachment would put me off . The guy in the video seems quite knowledgeable , I know him from somewhere .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by S O K A R » 20 Aug 2022, 3:55 pm

I don't have the tactical, but have the cz 515 american in 22 mag.
No issues what so ever with accuracy, spot on everytime.
My only gripe is the thumb release could be a littler longer, but I assume that was a requirement to get them into the country.
Overall a solid package, prefer it over my ruger american that's for sure.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JohnV » 20 Aug 2022, 7:55 pm

It takes more than just a commercial artist and a CNC programmer to make a good chassis . It has to be correct and not break important accuracy rules . Just because it looks sexy does not mean it's made correctly .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Larry » 21 Aug 2022, 5:41 pm

I dont think you will have any issues with the 515 they are a good rifle. The rail is held down by screws if yours is loose perhaps try a bit of locktite on the screws and if really concerned a bit of adhesive under the rail to bed it.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Templar1975 » 01 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm

I've owned my CZ 515 Tactical in .22LR for about a month now, in that time I've put approximately 2k rounds through it.

My rail is securely held down and I've had zero issues with it flexing, I am very happy with it's accuracy even using Armscor it gave very good results. I have an 8-32 on mine so it's a bit heavier, not sure if that helps.
Templar1975
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 15 Nov 2022, 4:12 pm

That is a help because it's practical experience . CZ (Brno) have always known how to make a good gun but a chassis is another matter . The 22 lacks recoil so that helps accuracy even in lighter stocks . I still don't like the design much .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by MattKaye » 26 Nov 2022, 1:42 pm

Saltwaterbrock wrote:I have the tactical 515 in 22mag, I have experienced some accuracy issues with mine..

I have a red dot mounted on a 45° angle on the very front of the rifle pic rail, it shoots perfectly every time at 50m. No issues at all.

I have a 4.5 - 14 X 44 scope mounted over the receiver with soling quality high mounts. The issue I'm having is the same as others. The very first shot, every time, rides high, then settles and shoots superbly.. this happens every time you change magazines or move the rifle from it's resting position or manipulate it in any way.. the first shot consistently hits high by a good inch or two..

My hunch is because of this minutest flexibility, it's throwing the scope on the first shot into a "seated" position.

I've currently sent my rifle into my local gunsmith to have the pic rail tapped and screwed to the receiver. Do to the components of the rifle, he has managed to tap 3 screws. One towards the very front, one in the middle and one at the back. The gunsmith was very shocked that there was indeed alot of flex due to the design. This custom work should eliminate the flex or movement between the rail and receiver completely. I should have the rifle back in the coming week or two and I'll be testing it out extensively.

I will definitely post my results back here.

I will even go as far to create some video content on YouTube if it works. If not, it may just be used solely with the red dot on the front for a while until I can work out something else.

Other than this issue, the rifle has never miss fired or failed to cycle in anyway. It performs perfectly. Thus my reason to work out the accuracy issue.

How did tapping and bolting the receiver down go, did it help any?
MattKaye
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles