new 22 mag rifle coming

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

new 22 mag rifle coming

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 7:03 pm

well fellas, i did something unusual , i impulse bought a rifle :lol:

i've got a weihrauch 60j in 22 mag coming . bit more zap than a 22lr with a little more range . i'm starting to like rimfires more as i'm getting tired of reloading . moved on my 222 for a tikka t3x . three different types of factory ammo in that rifle shoot under .75" . why reload ?
so i've got this 22mag coming , intended use is a rabbit/fox/cat rifle , walking or with light at night . it won't have the range of a hornet , but load, fire, "forget about brass", sounds very no fuss for me. i like the idea of the heavier projectile compared to the 17hmr . some of the new 22mag ammo is much more accurate than in times past

so do any of you fellas have any opinions or views to share on the 22mag ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: new 22 mag rifle coming

Post by Bugman » 28 Jun 2021, 7:17 pm

It is interesting that your edging towards rimfire. A good mate of mine has done similar and purchased a Anschutz .22 rifle, and joined a local small bore club for, similar reasoning. Could be something for me to consider later on down the track. I will keep a look out for the Weihrauch you have mentioned..
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 7:31 pm

Bugman wrote:It is interesting that your edging towards rimfire. A good mate of mine has done similar and purchased a Anschutz .22 rifle, and joined a local small bore club for, similar reasoning. Could be something for me to consider later on down the track. I will keep a look out for the Weihrauch you have mentioned..

i already have a weihrauch in 22lr , much better build qaulity than my cz american . the cz could be a little more accurate , but the weihrauch has a great trigger and is more consistant . the 22mag was bought cause my 22 hornet is fiddly at times when reloading .and i'm getting lazier :D i'm moving towards quieter rifles , i just need to stalk closer with the mag than a hornet or 223. i have very little doubt a fmj 40 or federal 50 hp 22 mag would knock a goat with a head shot out to 100 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Mick460 » 28 Jun 2021, 7:33 pm

Mate I bought one about 3 years ago. Well built, really massive action, quite heavy barrel, the machining and finish is as expected from weihrauch. However have not been able to get any decent groups with most ammo, 2 inch at 70m about the best. Bore scoped, few tiny marks here and there, slugged barrel and it was same all the way through, did chamber cast all good, even recrowned but never got any better. Been sitting in the safe since. Please let us know how you end up fairing with yours. I'm sure mine is just an anomaly. Mick
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2021, 7:39 pm

POS, buy a 223. :allegedly: :D :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 7:59 pm

Mick460 wrote:Mate I bought one about 3 years ago. Well built, really massive action, quite heavy barrel, the machining and finish is as expected from weihrauch. However have not been able to get any decent groups with most ammo, 2 inch at 70m about the best. Bore scoped, few tiny marks here and there, slugged barrel and it was same all the way through, did chamber cast all good, even recrowned but never got any better. Been sitting in the safe since. Please let us know how you end up fairing with yours. I'm sure mine is just an anomaly. Mick

will do mick . i had a weihrauch 22mag a few years ago that would group just on or under 1" at 100 with fed 50 hp or cci maxi mag 40hp's . did you ever play with the torque on the receiver screws mick ? it does make a difference .

:drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 8:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:POS, buy a 223. :allegedly: :D :lol:

jeez OB , bit harsh :lol: variety is the spice of life . :D

if this new one shoots as well as the one i had a few years ago i'll be happy .
never shoulda sold the old one ..... :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 28 Jun 2021, 8:07 pm

bigrich wrote:well fellas, i did something unusual , i impulse bought a rifle :lol:

i've got a weihrauch 60j in 22 mag coming . bit more zap than a 22lr with a little more range . i'm starting to like rimfires more as i'm getting tired of reloading . moved on my 222 for a tikka t3x . three different types of factory ammo in that rifle shoot under .75" . why reload ?
so i've got this 22mag coming , intended use is a rabbit/fox/cat rifle , walking or with light at night . it won't have the range of a hornet , but load, fire, "forget about brass", sounds very no fuss for me. i like the idea of the heavier projectile compared to the 17hmr . some of the new 22mag ammo is much more accurate than in times past

so do any of you fellas have any opinions or views to share on the 22mag ? :thumbsup:

I’ve had a Ruger American Compact in 22 mag for a few years. Absolutely love it. Shoots HornadyV Max 30 gr really well. Probably my most used rifle.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 8:38 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bigrich wrote:well fellas, i did something unusual , i impulse bought a rifle :lol:

I’ve had a Ruger American Compact in 22 mag for a few years. Absolutely love it. Shoots HornadyV Max 30 gr really well. Probably my most used rifle.

happy you got a good one . accurate rim fires in general can be a bit hit and miss i think . what sort of 100 yard groups does it average ? i like the idea of buying a box of 50 rounds for $25-$30 and going and having fun blasting feral critters or just plinking . no reloading or worrying about where the brass ends up :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 28 Jun 2021, 9:05 pm

It gets a bit like that doesn’t it BR. I only reload for accuracy these days. I do love shooting my rimfires during the novel rimfire matches we occasionally run, so pleasant. We could run a 17hmr or 22mag if we wanted - I sometimes consider it because the little 22lr cops it bad at 100m on a blustery day…
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 28 Jun 2021, 9:18 pm

Have had the same .22 mag for over 40 years. Cut my teeth shooting pigs in the Territory with it.
Not a weihreich but a Ansutch.

Modern ammo is so versatile - from 32gr up. You will find one that shoots well. Mine loves Hornady but the CCI Game Point is outstanding on bigger critters and will shoot under 1" at 80 yards.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 9:25 pm

in2anity wrote:It gets a bit like that doesn’t it BR. I only reload for accuracy these days. I do love shooting my rimfires during the novel rimfire matches we occasionally run, so pleasant. We could run a 17hmr or 22mag if we wanted - I sometimes consider it because the little 22lr cops it bad at 100m on a blustery day…

just for the sake of pulling a trigger the rimfires are affordable fun . the 22 mag is just more useable as a hunter . they run a 17hmr/22mag section for the rimfire comp at my local range :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2021, 9:27 pm

animalpest wrote:Have had the same .22 mag for over 40 years. Cut my teeth shooting pigs in the Territory with it.
Not a weihreich but a Ansutch.

Modern ammo is so versatile - from 32gr up. You will find one that shoots well. Mine loves Hornady but the CCI Game Point is outstanding on bigger critters and will shoot under 1" at 80 yards.

that's one of the things about the 22mag , it's versatile for what it is :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Mick460 » 28 Jun 2021, 9:40 pm

bigrich wrote:
Mick460 wrote:Mate I bought one about 3 years ago. Well built, really massive action, quite heavy barrel, the machining and finish is as expected from weihrauch. However have not been able to get any decent groups with most ammo, 2 inch at 70m about the best. Bore scoped, few tiny marks here and there, slugged barrel and it was same all the way through, did chamber cast all good, even recrowned but never got any better. Been sitting in the safe since. Please let us know how you end up fairing with yours. I'm sure mine is just an anomaly. Mick

will do mick . i had a weihrauch 22mag a few years ago that would group just on or under 1" at 100 with fed 50 hp or cci maxi mag 40hp's . did you ever play with the torque on the receiver screws mick ? it does make a difference .

I will try different torque settings this weekend if I can get out. I've used the cci maxi mags for years in my 9422 mag and get inch and quarter 5 shot groups, but that's the only ammunition it likes. I always thought that was extremely good for a lever rimfire in wmr. I don't recall having tried any Federal rounds to be honest, infact I'm pretty sure the only federal stuff I have is 215 primers.the best groups were with cheap old winchester super X 40gn believe it or not. Just bought a new bl22 in long rifle so keen to see how it goes.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 Jun 2021, 4:44 am

Mick460 wrote:
bigrich wrote:

I will try different torque settings this weekend if I can get out. I've used the cci maxi mags for years in my 9422 mag and get inch and quarter 5 shot groups, but that's the only ammunition it likes. I always thought that was extremely good for a lever rimfire in wmr. I don't recall having tried any Federal rounds to be honest, infact I'm pretty sure the only federal stuff I have is 215 primers.the best groups were with cheap old winchester super X 40gn believe it or not. Just bought a new bl22 in long rifle so keen to see how it goes.

The lever rimfire rifles are a different animal to the centre fires . I bought a Winchester 94-22 in 22lr not long ago and it’s scarily accurate with SK plus ammo.
A lot of fun as a plinker, and Indian myna birds don’t like it either :D
With torque settings on the weihrauch, try 22lbs on the action screws. I have a “fat wrench “ which are a great thing to have to “tune “ rimfire rifles
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harronek » 29 Jun 2021, 7:10 am

My .22 Mag is my most carried and used rifle.
Not ear splitting loud , don’t have to reload,large selection of factory ammo , and not expensive compared to Centerfire.
The .22 Mag is a workhorse/ tool , it’s not “ cool , and fashionable “ , but on a property it’s dam near essential to have behind the seat of the ute .

PS - Modern ammunition has revolutionised and reinvigorated the .22 Mag , I’ve not struggled to find ammo that shoots well over the last 5 years , 25 years ago .22 Mag ammunition was a disaster and you had to be very lucky to find a ammunition/ rifle combo that was accurate.
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 29 Jun 2021, 7:57 am

I would like to try out the 22 mag but it just confuses me. It is not as powerful as a 223 but it is more powerful than the 22 long rifle. It kind of fits in the middle.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Jun 2021, 1:12 pm

Harronek wrote:My .22 Mag is my most carried and used rifle.
Not ear splitting loud , don’t have to reload,large selection of factory ammo , and not expensive compared to Centerfire.
The .22 Mag is a workhorse/ tool , it’s not “ cool , and fashionable “ , but on a property it’s dam near essential to have behind the seat of the ute .

PS - Modern ammunition has revolutionised and reinvigorated the .22 Mag , I’ve not struggled to find ammo that shoots well over the last 5 years , 25 years ago .22 Mag ammunition was a disaster and you had to be very lucky to find a ammunition/ rifle combo that was accurate.

I’ve heard these exact views expressed by a old farmer I knew around Tenterfield . 22mag is a favourite “farmer gun” with some :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 29 Jun 2021, 1:24 pm

bigrich wrote:
Mick460 wrote:
bigrich wrote:

try 22lbs on the action screws. I have a “fat wrench “ which are a great thing to have to “tune “ rimfire rifles

Just make sure that is 22 inch pounds and not foot-pounds or you will have trouble
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 29 Jun 2021, 4:13 pm

Hi Guys
I had issues with my 22Magnum and grouping at 100 meters.
Then I tried these bullets and it tightened the groups up. I have only tried them on rabbit with good results.
BUT...I found that it was cheaper to run my 223 than to use these bullets which cost more per round than 223 rounds.
Attachments
22 Magnum.jpg
22 Magnum.jpg (22.5 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mick460 » 29 Jun 2021, 5:13 pm

The wheeler torque wrench is a must, I used a quarter drive wrench from my apprenticeship for years, big bulky deflection beam only scaled in inch pounds. People get a bit of a surprise when I let them do their scope rings and bases with the fat wrench, especially say leupold 6-40 ring screws up to their 28 in lb, or how much effort it is to do their windage screws to 45 in lb, if memory serves me correctly.
22 WMR ammo is a bit expensive, but I bought a 17 hmr when they first came out and it didn't really catch on with me so always stuck with the 22, but back before calicivirus it was cheaper at the time to load for the 222 rem, but great fun spotlighting with the lever.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 Jun 2021, 6:56 pm

Mick460 wrote:The wheeler torque wrench is a must, I used a quarter drive wrench from my apprenticeship for years, big bulky deflection beam only scaled in inch pounds. People get a bit of a surprise when I let them do their scope rings and bases with the fat wrench, especially say leupold 6-40 ring screws up to their 28 in lb, or how much effort it is to do their windage screws to 45 in lb, if memory serves me correctly.
22 WMR ammo is a bit expensive, but I bought a 17 hmr when they first came out and it didn't really catch on with me so always stuck with the 22, but back before calicivirus it was cheaper at the time to load for the 222 rem, but great fun spotlighting with the lever.

yeah the cost of 22mag/17hmr is a issue for some people ,but i like the idea of grabbing a box of 50 rounds of 22wmr and just getting out there.
among cartridges i do reload for is 22 hornet . wonderful little cartridge but factory ammo can be expensive for what it is . i've used winchester 22 hornet hollow points in the past , but at $70 a box for the hornet , the 22 mag "sort of" does the same job but is a lot cheaper . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 29 Jun 2021, 9:23 pm

I had a old farmer friend (now passed away many years ago ) that farmed 130,000 acres in south-west NSW . His two "go-to' rifles were two Anschutz 22 magnums - both with 6x40 Tasco japan scopes - one had 60,000 rounds thru it and the other 90,000 rounds through it. Used mainly to shoot roos on permit as well as anything else that needed thinning out. From memory he used the Winchester Super X 40 gr jacketed HP ammo. He eventually started to reload for a 222 and had the WMR's as back up.

The old magnum just works well out to 130 metres or so - i have owned a few over the years and could entertain getting another one to match my Weihrauch HW66 in 22LR........

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 5:04 am

solarpak wrote:I had a old farmer friend (now passed away many years ago ) that farmed 130,000 acres in south-west NSW . His two "go-to' rifles were two Anschutz 22 magnums - both with 6x40 Tasco japan scopes - one had 60,000 rounds thru it and the other 90,000 rounds through it. Used mainly to shoot roos on permit as well as anything else that needed thinning out. From memory he used the Winchester Super X 40 gr jacketed HP ammo. He eventually started to reload for a 222 and had the WMR's as back up.

The old magnum just works well out to 130 metres or so - i have owned a few over the years and could entertain getting another one to match my Weihrauch HW66 in 22LR........

C.

A lot of people are telling stories like yours about the 22mag just works for them or someone they know
Yeah, the 22mag isn’t going to win any accuracy contests, but as a varmit rifle it’s handy and you don’t have to load for it or worry about where the brass ends up . Except for my 243,270 rifles I’m getting tired of loading stuff. Off the shelf 223 ammo gives me .6” at 100 out of my tikka t3, my handloads are clover leafs but for what I do it’s probably not nesessary.
It’s all 22lr’s fault. Just grab a box and go ...... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 30 Jun 2021, 7:31 am

G'day,

I bought a Weihrauch 66 Production [.22magnum] a few months ago - I already have an HW 60J in .222 Rem - and put my PARD 008 sight on it. [I bought a Reed picatinny rail from the UK; it sits over the dovetail and has 4 mounting screws to hold it.] I'm shooting Hornady 30gr V-Max. From the first shots it was grouping tightly and is now shooting 1" groups without having to tune any of the action screws. [Mine has the two stage match trigger running at about 8 oz. I understand that Customs have banned any more imports of that trigger deeming it to be too light.] The only problem is that about half of the spent Hornady cartridges will not eject. They extract alright, but they 'stick' in the left 'jaw' of the extractor. I've not tried other ammunition because the Hornady is so accurate - I can live with the ejection problem. I've shot hares and foxes with it - one fox at 120 yards as I misjudged the distance at night.

It's lighter to carry than my .222s with ATN scopes when I'm walking about and makes a little less noise when I'm shooting closer to neighbouring properties on my eastern boundary.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 30 Jun 2021, 8:55 am

Damn 22 Magnum hey Bigrich, bloody lovely round, had a few, biggest regret was selling a Anschutz to mate when he set up out west to grow fat lambs. By all raccounts it shot more a than a thousand foxes and will probably shoot a few thousand more :thumbsup:

if you can find it cheap enough Id highly recommend trying the WInchester Supreme 34gr JHP :drinks:

Always thought a 22 Magnum semi auto would have been a good thing
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 9:21 am

Bill wrote:Damn 22 Magnum hey Bigrich, bloody lovely round, had a few, biggest regret was selling a Anschutz to mate when he set up out west to grow fat lambs. By all raccounts it shot more a than a thousand foxes and will probably shoot a few thousand more :thumbsup:

if you can find it cheap enough Id highly recommend trying the WInchester Supreme 34gr JHP :drinks:

Always thought a 22 Magnum semi auto would have been a good thing

Yeah Bill, I’m thinking the mag is less fuss, so long as I’m realistic about what it can and can’t do.
Partly this decision came about cause my rebarreled 22 hornet martini ended up with a 8.75” barrel with no taper. I didn’t listen hard enough to what the smith was suggesting. Easier for him to set up the scope mounts, but it made it barrel heavy to carry. It’s silly accurate, and I can use 40 grain ballistic tip projectiles which shoot fantastic. Magazine fed hornet rifles are limited in this respect.
So the 22mag for mobility, my martini sits really nice with the drop at the stock and a bi-pod on the front :D
I know you have a few martini Bill , what barrel profiles did you get ?

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Jun 2021, 3:48 pm

I've had a marlin 22 mag with the most beautiful walnut stock since I was 16. Used it for fox shooting to sell the skins. It groups 30gn v Max pills under half an inch at 75m. But honestly I haven't used it for 10 years I reckon
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 6:11 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

I bought a Weihrauch 66 Production [.22magnum] a few months ago - I already have an HW 60J in .222 Rem - and put my PARD 008 sight on it. [I bought a Reed picatinny rail from the UK; it sits over the dovetail and has 4 mounting screws to hold it.] I'm shooting Hornady 30gr V-Max. From the first shots it was grouping tightly and is now shooting 1" groups without having to tune any of the action screws. [Mine has the two stage match trigger running at about 8 oz. I understand that Customs have banned any more imports of that trigger deeming it to be too light.] The only problem is that about half of the spent Hornady cartridges will not eject. They extract alright, but they 'stick' in the left 'jaw' of the extractor. I've not tried other ammunition because the Hornady is so accurate - I can live with the ejection problem. I've shot hares and foxes with it - one fox at 120 yards as I misjudged the distance at night.

It's lighter to carry than my .222s with ATN scopes when I'm walking about and makes a little less noise when I'm shooting closer to neighbouring properties on my eastern boundary.

Jim

thanks for the feedback on your weihrauchs . i prefer the single stage trigger for a "field sporter" myself how does your 222 shoot ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 6:17 pm

bigpete wrote:I've had a marlin 22 mag with the most beautiful walnut stock since I was 16. Used it for fox shooting to sell the skins. It groups 30gn v Max pills under half an inch at 75m. But honestly I haven't used it for 10 years I reckon

well pete , sounds like you should dust it off and go have a plink :D sounds like it has some sentimental value too :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles