new 22 mag rifle coming

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: new 22 mag rifle coming

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 6:25 pm

I was considering a 22 mag lately for something different but tossing up between that and a 17hmr. My purpose will be for target shooting so leaning towards the 17. I guess the 22 would be more suitable when culling varmints. My perception is the 22mag rifles are cheaper than 17hmr but ammo is a little dearer. Does seem to be some nostalgic value to a 22 mag rifle though so probably end up like the rest of you and eventually get both. Only 12 months into the sport and constantly dreaming of a new caliber. This sh.. is addictive!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 6:45 pm

Lsfan wrote:I was considering a 22 mag lately for something different but tossing up between that and a 17hmr. My purpose will be for target shooting so leaning towards the 17. I guess the 22 would be more suitable when culling varmints. My perception is the 22mag rifles are cheaper than 17hmr but ammo is a little dearer. Does seem to be some nostalgic value to a 22 mag rifle though so probably end up like the rest of you and eventually get both. Only 12 months into the sport and constantly dreaming of a new caliber. This sh.. is addictive!

i had considered the 17hmr , but from what i've read/bin told , the 22mag has more energy to take on bigger critters when hunting, and a better variety of bullet weights for different uses . the 17 needs it's barrel cleaned more often on some rifles otherwise accuracy drops off . so i bin told...... ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 30 Jun 2021, 6:48 pm

Bill wrote:Damn 22 Magnum hey Bigrich, bloody lovely round, had a few, biggest regret was selling a Anschutz to mate when he set up out west to grow fat lambs. By all raccounts it shot more a than a thousand foxes and will probably shoot a few thousand more :thumbsup:

if you can find it cheap enough Id highly recommend trying the WInchester Supreme 34gr JHP :drinks:

Always thought a 22 Magnum semi auto would have been a good thing

I sold a 9422M last year to make some safe room and help fund a 243. Love my 243, but the Winchester is the only gun that I’ve sold that I miss.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 6:59 pm

bigrich wrote:
Lsfan wrote:I was considering a 22 mag lately for something different but tossing up between that and a 17hmr. My purpose will be for target shooting so leaning towards the 17. I guess the 22 would be more suitable when culling varmints. My perception is the 22mag rifles are cheaper than 17hmr but ammo is a little dearer. Does seem to be some nostalgic value to a 22 mag rifle though so probably end up like the rest of you and eventually get both. Only 12 months into the sport and constantly dreaming of a new caliber. This sh.. is addictive!

i had considered the 17hmr , but from what i've read/bin told , the 22mag has more energy to take on bigger critters when hunting, and a better variety of bullet weights for different uses . the 17 needs it's barrel cleaned more often on some rifles otherwise accuracy drops off . so i bin told...... ;)

Yeah I’ve read similar stuff actually. There was a story somewhere about 2 blokes hunting. One had the 22 and the other the 17. Accuracy frequently dropped off on the 17 because of the cleaning issues. That would be annoying.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 7:02 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Bill wrote:Damn 22 Magnum hey Bigrich, bloody lovely round, had a few, biggest regret was selling a Anschutz to mate when he set up out west to grow fat lambs. By all raccounts it shot more a than a thousand foxes and will probably shoot a few thousand more :thumbsup:

if you can find it cheap enough Id highly recommend trying the WInchester Supreme 34gr JHP :drinks:

I sold a 9422M last year to make some safe room and help fund a 243. Love my 243, but the Winchester is the only gun that I’ve sold that I miss.

I was surprised how dear ammo is for a 243. I think one of the reasons BR got the 22mag was for the cheaper ammo. Something that is driving my decisions too, even though I have little experience.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 30 Jun 2021, 7:09 pm

Lsfan wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

I was surprised how dear ammo is for a 243. I think one of the reasons BR got the 22mag was for the cheaper ammo. Something that is driving my decisions too, even though I have little experience.

22 mag is great in my opinion. And 243 ammo is dear to a point. But the fact is that you don’t go out and blow box after box of 243. I don’t anyway. I’ll take it out and maybe only fire off half a box, so I don’t worry about how much it is per round. If I’m going shooting and I know I’m going to shoot a heap of rounds I’ll take the 223. Depends on what you’re targeting too though I guess.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 7:12 pm

Shootermick wrote:

i bought a 94-22 in 22lr recently . such a well made fun little gun, with supprising accuracy . people want stupid money for any 94-22 now . my local gun shop had a magnum , but i've already the the 22lr :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Mick460 » 30 Jun 2021, 7:13 pm

Lsfan, exactly what rich said, the WMR because projectile weights range from 30 to 50gn. I also found the 22 less prone to drift whilst spotlighting, and, in my particular hmr, accuracy would drop off regularly on a busy night, was no big deal just ran a bore snake through occasionally.
The weihrauch and 94 are 22 mag, the sako 222rem and the weatherby is a 17hmr. The sako normally wears an m8 6x leupold and the 9422 a 4x leupold. Just doing some scope swaps at the moment. The 17hmr and weihrauch have leupold 4-12x. Both scopes are a bit to big but sometimes you buy a rifle and pick a scope that's sitting on the shelf, mount it and leave it. The model 94 had about 3000 rounds through it, still slick and smooth and fast. Like you said you might end up with both, I love shooting so don't care if I'm using my little BSA meteor 177 air gun or my 460 WBY and everything in between. Hope the pic works, I know guns, I don't know computers hey.
20210630_181629.jpg
20210630_181629.jpg (492.31 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Mick460 » 30 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

Sorry, I meant less prone to wind drift. Rich I to am after a 9422 in l.r. but like you said the money they're asking is a bit silly. I don't know what's driving the price, it's not like they're a rare gun.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 7:27 pm

Lsfan wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

i have been loading for a variety of calibers over the last few years , with good results . but as i've travelled along i've started to simplify things . the accuracy i get out of factory 223 ammo in my tikka makes me not want to bother with loading for it . for hunting accuracy i handload for 223 (when i feel like it :D ) ,243, 270 , 358 and i have a 22 hornet . i don't get out often , and 20 rounds for either is normally enough as i pick my shots . i've recently got a 44 mag as well , but the availability of powder for it and the hornet has me questioning their viability .
the 22mag could be a reasonable alternative to my hornet within it's range and most regional gunshops carry ammo for it
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 7:36 pm

Mick460 wrote:Lsfan, exactly what rich said, the WMR because projectile weights range from 30 to 50gn. I also found the 22 less prone to drift whilst spotlighting, and, in my particular hmr, accuracy would drop off regularly on a busy night, was no big deal just ran a bore snake through occasionally.
The weihrauch and 94 are 22 mag, the sako 222rem and the weatherby is a 17hmr. The sako normally wears an m8 6x leupold and the 9422 a 4x leupold. Just doing some scope swaps at the moment. The 17hmr and weihrauch have leupold 4-12x. Both scopes are a bit to big but sometimes you buy a rifle and pick a scope that's sitting on the shelf, mount it and leave it. The model 94 had about 3000 rounds through it, still slick and smooth and fast. Like you said you might end up with both, I love shooting so don't care if I'm using my little BSA meteor 177 air gun or my 460 WBY and everything in between. Hope the pic works, I know guns, I don't know computers hey.
20210630_181629.jpg

nice collection mick . i had a silly accurate 222 model 70 xtr , but moved it on in favor of a tikka 223 st/lam . they shoot about the same , but the tikka is more weather resistant and i don't care so much if i bash the stock around . i shoulda sprung for a sako 85 but , i prefer top feed internal mag in my centrefires to mucking around with a plastic bottom fed mag . on the move after pigs reloading my 358 model 70 winchester was a snack . could do it by feel with only the occasional glance :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 7:53 pm

Some beautiful looking gun there mick. I’m wanting to add something timber to my small collection. I think the projectile weight isn’t an issue for me just shooting targets, but the need to clean the hmr frequently may be. I’m still just experimenting and was wanting something noticeably different to my 22lr but without the cost of a centrefire ammo. Any idea how frequently you need to clean a hmr? If I go to a range and shoot 100 rounds would I notice it in that time?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mick460 » 30 Jun 2021, 7:54 pm

Agreed, the only box mag centerfires I have are a Remington 7600 anniversary model in 30/06 and a ruger precision, oh and a smle, sits at the back of the safe so I almost forgot about it. Always been curious about the .35 calibres, I jump from the 338 wm to the old .348win to 375 h&h. So with s.a. firearms legislation getting ridiculously difficult for cat B, I may end up with a 35. Have always been interested in the .35 wheelan, but rarely hear anything about the 358. Am I correct in remembering that it is maybe the 308 win necked up, or am I getting confused. That would be very practical not requiring a .30/06 length action.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Mick460 » 30 Jun 2021, 8:03 pm

Lsfan wrote:Some beautiful looking gun there mick. I’m wanting to add something timber to my small collection. I think the projectile weight isn’t an issue for me just shooting targets, but the need to clean the hmr frequently may be. I’m still just experimenting and was wanting something noticeably different to my 22lr but without the cost of a centrefire ammo. Any idea how frequently you need to clean a hmr? If I go to a range and shoot 100 rounds would I notice it in that time?

Mate my 17 is the weatherby, it's actually an Anschutz that weatherby threw a down scaled version of their mk v monte carlo stock on, take it out of the stock and it's got Anschutz marked on it, so a good pedigree. I found accuracy for head shooting bunnies would drop off quite noticeably after around half a box, so a couple of dozen rounds. Dropped rabbits pretty damn well though. It's definitely different to the 22 long rifle, you'll notice that for sure. Might be nice as a range gun but I predominantly hunt, range for me is just sighting, load testing, practising and introducing people to firearms. I never really shot competitions, friendly hand gun stuff to meet licence shoots but nothing really with rifles so someone else with the hmr would be better informed than me.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 8:12 pm

Mick460 wrote:Agreed, the only box mag centerfires I have are a Remington 7600 anniversary model in 30/06 and a ruger precision, oh and a smle, sits at the back of the safe so I almost forgot about it. Always been curious about the .35 calibres, I jump from the 338 wm to the old .348win to 375 h&h. So with s.a. firearms legislation getting ridiculously difficult for cat B, I may end up with a 35. Have always been interested in the .35 wheelan, but rarely hear anything about the 358. Am I correct in remembering that it is maybe the 308 win necked up, or am I getting confused. That would be very practical not requiring a .30/06 length action.

yeas mate i make my own 358win brass with free 308 brass . one pass through a sizing die and i anneal with a bunnings gas torch and a battery drill . what i like about 35 cal is there is a wide range of projectiles for different game weights and 357 mag pistol bullets fly well too . powders are 2206h or 2208 . my 358 is stupid accurate , amazed fellas at the range when i cut a verticle slot at 100 through a 1.5-5x20 loopy scope :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 8:31 pm

Mick460 wrote:
Lsfan wrote:Some beautiful looking gun there mick. I’m wanting to add something timber to my small collection. I think the projectile weight isn’t an issue for me just shooting targets, but the need to clean the hmr frequently may be. I’m still just experimenting and was wanting something noticeably different to my 22lr but without the cost of a centrefire ammo. Any idea how frequently you need to clean a hmr? If I go to a range and shoot 100 rounds would I notice it in that time?

Mate my 17 is the weatherby, it's actually an Anschutz that weatherby threw a down scaled version of their mk v monte carlo stock on, take it out of the stock and it's got Anschutz marked on it, so a good pedigree. I found accuracy for head shooting bunnies would drop off quite noticeably after around half a box, so a couple of dozen rounds. Dropped rabbits pretty damn well though. It's definitely different to the 22 long rifle, you'll notice that for sure. Might be nice as a range gun but I predominantly hunt, range for me is just sighting, load testing, practising and introducing people to firearms. I never really shot competitions, friendly hand gun stuff to meet licence shoots but nothing really with rifles so someone else with the hmr would be better informed than me.

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly some valid points to consider when choosing between the 2. Whatever I buy will probably come down to what’s on sale at the time, brand, timber stock etc.
cleaver have the issc straight pull 17hmr in timber for $450. I know not in the league of what you guys have but looks interesting and certainly cheap. Have heard the straight pull action can be problematic though.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 30 Jun 2021, 8:36 pm

358w rocks, 35 whelen rocks harder.

I've tested the wind drift theory and found the 22 mag drifts just a bit more on paper than the 17hmr. And 22lr drifts heaps more.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mick460 » 30 Jun 2021, 8:57 pm

Paper tests would be far more conclusive than head shooting bunnies out of a car for sure. Lsfan, mate 'cheap' is relative, don't be swayed by price, for example, a new Howa 1500 for $700 is going to be a great deal more accurate than one of my 30 year old weatherby mark V's that are probably worth 7 or 8 times that. It's not going to have anywhere near as good machining or fitting and won't look as nice but it will print tighter groups every day of the week. That means more meat on the table or better scores at the range. Cheaper doesn't necessarily equate to being lesser, if that makes sense. Sure I'd love to have Schmidt and benders, and swaros or nightforce scopes on everything, but all I own are leupolds, this doesn't lessen my shooting enjoyment, just allows me to divert funds to other areas of the sport.
Does the price of a beretta DT11 mean that their 686 silver pigeon is a bad gun? Not at all. I'd love the DT 11 but It doesn't mean that I don't love breaking clays with my 686. I hope this helps a bit and isn't too confusing. Good luck with it, and remember you can always upgrade or buy another rifle.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lsfan » 30 Jun 2021, 9:07 pm

Mick460 wrote:Paper tests would be far more conclusive than head shooting bunnies out of a car for sure. Lsfan, mate 'cheap' is relative, don't be swayed by price, for example, a new Howa 1500 for $700 is going to be a great deal more accurate than one of my 30 year old weatherby mark V's that are probably worth 7 or 8 times that. It's not going to have anywhere near as good machining or fitting and won't look as nice but it will print tighter groups every day of the week. That means more meat on the table or better scores at the range. Cheaper doesn't necessarily equate to being lesser, if that makes sense. Sure I'd love to have Schmidt and benders, and swaros or nightforce scopes on everything, but all I own are leupolds, this doesn't lessen my shooting enjoyment, just allows me to divert funds to other areas of the sport.
Does the price of a beretta DT11 mean that their 686 silver pigeon is a bad gun? Not at all. I'd love the DT 11 but It doesn't mean that I don't love breaking clays with my 686. I hope this helps a bit and isn't too confusing. Good luck with it, and remember you can always upgrade or buy another rifle.

Thanks Mick, well said. There are people on her who tend to suggest the opposite. I’m still new to the sport and perhaps I’ll develop a desire for finer finished, German built rifles. For the time being, anything makes me happy. It’s almost like firearms for men are what jewellery is to women!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 9:08 pm

sometimes it's better to buy the best you can afford . i've rebarreled/restored a few old rifles . most have been good shooters . i splurged recently and got a sako 85 in 270 win . i just can't fault it . didn't even have to adjust the trigger . shoots down to .4's consistantly with handloads . will only improve with use . will a howa do this, yeah a lot probably will depending on QC some might not . to some a rifle is a tool, or their more budget minded . i'm part collector as well as a enthusiast . i appreciate a well built, slick bit of gear . with a weihrauch for the extra money ya get a great trigger (just like a sako/tikka ). which is part of the reason my CZ is gone ......:thumbsup:
Last edited by bigrich on 30 Jun 2021, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Jun 2021, 9:13 pm

Lsfan wrote:
Mick460 wrote:Paper tests would be far more conclusive than head shooting bunnies out of a car for sure. Lsfan, mate 'cheap' is relative, don't be swayed by price, for example, a new Howa 1500 for $700 is going to be a great deal more accurate than one of my 30 year old weatherby mark V's that are probably worth 7 or 8 times that. It's not going to have anywhere near as good machining or fitting and won't look as nice but it will print tighter groups every day of the week. That means more meat on the table or better scores at the range. Cheaper doesn't necessarily equate to being lesser, if that makes sense. Sure I'd love to have Schmidt and benders, and swaros or nightforce scopes on everything, but all I own are leupolds, this doesn't lessen my shooting enjoyment, just allows me to divert funds to other areas of the sport.

Thanks Mick, well said. There are people on her who tend to suggest the opposite. I’m still new to the sport and perhaps I’ll develop a desire for finer finished, German built rifles. For the time being, anything makes me happy. It’s almost like firearms for men are what jewellery is to women!

Put it this way, the most accurate 22 I own looks like an utter piece of s**t,cost me nothing,and has a 40 odd year old nikko on it that someone was going to throw away. It'll shoot into half an inch at 50m with boring regularity
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Jun 2021, 9:18 pm

bigpete wrote:
Lsfan wrote:

Put it this way, the most accurate 22 I own looks like an utter piece of s**t,cost me nothing,and has a 40 odd year old nikko on it that someone was going to throw away. It'll shoot into half an inch at 50m with boring regularity

22lr's are a strange beast . their accuracy can be purely pot luck sometimes . i bought a CZ "supermatch " . 12 groove barrel , factory bedded , and a old krico 300 for 1/3 of the price shot rings around it :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 30 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm

bigrich wrote:
solarpak wrote:I had a old farmer friend (now passed away many years ago ) that farmed 130,000 acres in south-west NSW . His two "go-to' rifles were two Anschutz 22 magnums - both with 6x40 Tasco japan scopes - one had 60,000 rounds thru it and the other 90,000 rounds through it. Used mainly to shoot roos on permit as well as anything else that needed thinning out. From memory he used the Winchester Super X 40 gr jacketed HP ammo. He eventually started to reload for a 222 and had the WMR's as back up.

The old magnum just works well out to 130 metres or so - i have owned a few over the years and could entertain getting another one to match my Weihrauch HW66 in 22LR........

C.

A lot of people are telling stories like yours about the 22mag just works for them or someone they know
Yeah, the 22mag isn’t going to win any accuracy contests, but as a varmit rifle it’s handy and you don’t have to load for it or worry about where the brass ends up . Except for my 243,270 rifles I’m getting tired of loading stuff. Off the shelf 223 ammo gives me .6” at 100 out of my tikka t3, my handloads are clover leafs but for what I do it’s probably not nesessary.
It’s all 22lr’s fault. Just grab a box and go ...... :D

I have a Sako Quad with the 4 barrels. The 22 Mag barrel shooting the 30gr Vmax Hornady or 33gr Remington Vmax is quite accurate and sighted in for 100m. It would outshoot my Brno 22 Khornet so in the end I sold it and never bothered with reloading that fiddly little round. Take a packet of 50 22mag vmax and whack them foxes and rabbits out to 135m in still conditions no problems.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Mick460 » 30 Jun 2021, 9:27 pm

bigrich wrote:sometimes it's better to buy the best you can afford . i've rebarreled/restored a few old rifles . most have been good shooters . i splurged recently and got a sako 85 in 270 win . i just can't fault it . didn't even have to adjust the trigger . shoots down to .4's consistantly with handloads . will only improve with use . will a howa do this, yeah a lot probably will depending on QC some might not . to some a rifle is a tool, or their more budget minded . i'm part collector as well as a enthusiast . i appreciate a well built, slick bit of gear . with a weihrauch fot the extra money ya get a great trigger (just like a sako/tikka ). which is part of the reason my CZ is gone ......:thumbsup:

I do try and buy the best I can afford at the time, hence the new Ruger precision 300, but someone with an Accuracy International, or an APRS has a better machine than my Ruger, and my Ruger is probably a little better than the Howa precision model. I could simply have saved up for another 18 months and got an AI or something custom, but by going cheaper with the ruger means I can probably buy another couple of firearms in that time. It's good to meet a firearms enthusiast/ collector, that's exactly what I tell people when they ask: why do you need so many guns? It's hard to explain the joy that can come from firearms and shooting. My two cents.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Jun 2021, 9:32 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Lsfan wrote:

22lr's are a strange beast . their accuracy can be purely pot luck sometimes . i bought a CZ "supermatch " . 12 groove barrel , factory bedded , and a old krico 300 for 1/3 of the price shot rings around it :roll:

Next best is my whelen i got for nothing....lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 01 Jul 2021, 4:33 am

mchughcb wrote:
bigrich wrote:
solarpak wrote:I had a old farmer friend (now passed away many years ago ) that farmed 130,000 acres in south-west NSW . His two "go-to' rifles were two Anschutz 22 magnums - both with 6x40 Tasco japan scopes - one had 60,000 rounds thru it and the other 90,000 rounds through it. Used mainly to shoot roos on permit as well as anything else that needed thinning out. From memory he used the Winchester Super X 40 gr jacketed HP ammo. He eventually started to reload for a 222 and had the WMR's as back up.

The old magnum just works well out to 130 metres or so - i have owned a few over the years and could entertain getting another one to match my Weihrauch HW66 in 22LR........

C.

A lot of people are telling stories like yours about the 22mag just works for them or someone they know
Yeah, the 22mag isn’t going to win any accuracy contests, but as a varmit rifle it’s handy and you don’t have to load for it or worry about where the brass ends up . Except for my 243,270 rifles I’m getting tired of loading stuff. Off the shelf 223 ammo gives me .6” at 100 out of my tikka t3, my handloads are clover leafs but for what I do it’s probably not nesessary.
It’s all 22lr’s fault. Just grab a box and go ...... :D

I have a Sako Quad with the 4 barrels. The 22 Mag barrel shooting the 30gr Vmax Hornady or 33gr Remington Vmax is quite accurate and sighted in for 100m. It would outshoot my Brno 22 Khornet so in the end I sold it and never bothered with reloading that fiddly little round. Take a packet of 50 22mag vmax and whack them foxes and rabbits out to 135m in still conditions no problems.

My 22 hornet is extremely accurate, but it can be fiddly seating bullets. As you’ve posted, grabbing a box of 50 22wmr’s and just going is less fuss. Don’t have to worry about where the shell casings go either.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Jul 2021, 4:39 am

Mick460 wrote:
bigrich wrote:sometimes it's better to buy the best you can afford . i've rebarreled/restored a few old rifles . most have been good shooters . i splurged recently and got a sako 85 in 270 win . i just can't fault it . didn't even have to adjust the trigger . shoots down to .4's consistantly with handloads . will only improve with use . will a howa do this, yeah a lot probably will depending on QC some might not . to some a rifle is a tool, or their more budget minded . i'm part collector as well as a enthusiast . i appreciate a well built, slick bit of gear . with a weihrauch fot the extra money ya get a great trigger (just like a sako/tikka ). which is part of the reason my CZ is gone ......:thumbsup:

I do try and buy the best I can afford at the time, hence the new Ruger precision 300, but someone with an Accuracy International, or an APRS has a better machine than my Ruger, and my Ruger is probably a little better than the Howa precision model. I could simply have saved up for another 18 months and got an AI or something custom, but by going cheaper with the ruger means I can probably buy another couple of firearms in that time. It's good to meet a firearms enthusiast/ collector, that's exactly what I tell people when they ask: why do you need so many guns? It's hard to explain the joy that can come from firearms and shooting. My two cents.

I’ve bought and sold quite a few in recent years, some I’ve bought cause their interesting or collectables. I’ve become more discerning recently. They have to be multi purpose, be suitable for comps at my local range as well as “bush useful “.
I do make exceptions however.... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 01 Jul 2021, 7:14 am

bigrich: "thanks for the feedback on your weihrauchs . i prefer the single stage trigger for a "field sporter" myself how does your 222 shoot ?"

The .222 Rem HW 60J has been professionally pillared and bedded as the stock on the rifle was poorly finished and actually a little warped ex-factory. It also has light two stage trigger. It's shooting 1/2" at 100 yards off my hunting rest with an ATN X Sight II on it. I find the two stage triggers better for me as I have some serious issues with both hands that have required 11 operations. Add some arthritis to my trigger finger and the two stage trigger helps me in terms of feel without risk of an accidental discharge.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Jul 2021, 4:34 am

Okay, what magnification scope do people think I should use on this rifle ? I’m not intending to just shoot of a bench. This is something to use as a walk-around or out of a vehicle with light at night. I have a 4.5-14x40 I can pull of another rifle, or will a 3-9x40 be all I’ll need ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 02 Jul 2021, 6:14 am

Geezus,I've only ever had a straight 4x on mine....a 3-9×40 will be plenty !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles