Savage vs CZ WMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Savage vs CZ WMR

Post by pilotsignal » 12 Jul 2021, 9:19 pm

Seriously consider those 2 rifles at this time for myself:
1. SAVAGE B22 MAGNUM G, 22WMR
2. CZ 457 AMERICAN BEECH, 22WMR
Price wise almost the same 1K +/- 100$, both in wood (my preference), similar barrels. I am going to keep this rifle for sometime as going to move from target shooting to hunting within next 2 years.
Can anyone share the opinion on them, which one you would be leaning towards more?
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Savage vs CZ WMR

Post by bigrich » 13 Jul 2021, 9:19 am

I don’t have experience with either, but both have good reps from what I’ve heard

I think the new 457 are a improvement on the older model, better trigger and bolt throw. Heard their accuracy is very good

I recently bought a weihrauch myself, very happy with it . German quality at a affordable price
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 13 Jul 2021, 1:56 pm

Did you get HW66 22WMR or HW60 model? I have been looking at that rifle too, but it was slightly over my budget unless, I'll wait a bit longer before buy. I have no experience with small calibers such as 22LR, only AK47 :-), so I want to get WMR rifle for the start. I've heard it is a bit better for 100m shooting. I read tons of reviews on the web and everyone has his own opinion about 22LR vs WMR ammo effectiveness at that range. So hard to make the final decision :-)
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 13 Jul 2021, 6:49 pm

I had a Savage B22 in 22lr. I sold it to buy something else, but it was still a good rifle. Mine was synthetic stocked with the heavy barrel. I found the shape of the stock really comfortable. The only thing I didn’t like about the rifle was the bolt. The way that it was in two pieces and pivoted in the middle. It functioned just fine, but it was just a bit awkward to put back in after you’d removed it. You just have to line it up in a couple of spots before it will slide back in, not a big deal really though.
I really like my 22mag, mine is a Ruger American Compact, with the semi heavy threaded barrel. I’ve had it for a few years now and it shoots really well, I prefer the Ruger over the Savage and have since bought two more Rugers, one was in 22lr to replace my Savage.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pilotsignal » 13 Jul 2021, 7:06 pm

I have been looking at Ruger rifles as well :-) . The only think I was not sure about was 18" barrel and no wood stock I could find.
Other than that it is good solid rifle, I know. Friend of mine had it before.
Now, about barrel length, I am also aware that this is common question is going on every single shooter's forum. I have just decided for myself to go no less than 20", though this is may look silly to you.
Thanks for your input, mate. Looks like I will be going to CZ as there are no negative opinion about this rifle, so far.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Jul 2021, 7:14 pm

pilotsignal wrote:Thanks for your input, mate. Looks like I will be going to CZ as there are no negative opinion about this rifle, so far.

Have you been to RimfireCentral.com? There is a CZ section in "Other Rimfire Guns".
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 13 Jul 2021, 7:20 pm

No, I was not. I will. Thank you.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Jul 2021, 9:34 pm

pilotsignal wrote:Did you get HW66 22WMR or HW60 model? I have been looking at that rifle too, but it was slightly over my budget unless, I'll wait a bit longer before buy. I have no experience with small calibers such as 22LR, only AK47 :-), so I want to get WMR rifle for the start. I've heard it is a bit better for 100m shooting. I read tons of reviews on the web and everyone has his own opinion about 22LR vs WMR ammo effectiveness at that range. So hard to make the final decision :-)

hw60j .

as already suggested , lots of opinions on rimfire central . some of the UK forums are good too . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 14 Jul 2021, 6:48 am

G'day pilotsignal,

I bought a Weihrauch 66 P in .22 Magnum some months ago. [I already have an HW 60J in .222 Rem.] The HW 66 P is very accurate with a PARD NV 008 mounted on it. It's a bit fussy about ejecting spent 30gr. Hornady V-Max cases, but I think I just need to polish the left extractor jaw a little. So far I have shot a number of foxes and a few hares with it. I did look at CZ rifles in .22 Magnum, but I like German rifles, especially Weihrauch. My rifle has the two stage and quite light trigger.

Here's a review of the HW 66P in .22LR: https://aussiehunter.org/shooting/rifle ... ifle-22lr/

The author discusses the merits of a single stage trigger at 1.4 kgms versus the two stage trigger at about 7 oz. I was told by the gun shop where I bought my rifle that the two stage trigger will no longer be imported as it was considered too light by customs. I find I'm better with the two-stage trigger as I have some problems with my hands and fingers due to injury and old age.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles