New hunter, First rifle and scope

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New hunter, First rifle and scope

Post by Aussie_Vic » 29 Jul 2021, 8:27 pm

G'day all
I've been shooting at the range with a 22.lr for a while now and wanting to go out hunting in the vic region.

I will be purchasing my first rifle soon for varmint hunting. I will be hunting rabbits, hares, foxes, feral cats and maybe wild dogs.

I can't decide which rimfire calibre to buy between 17.hmr, 22.wmr and 17wsm and what brand to buy.
Lithgow LA101 is the best brand i've seen for a rimfire. my budget is $500 to $1.3k
Any recommendations?

For scopes i'm relativity new to i have no clue which one to purchase my budget for scope is $150 to $500.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers! :D
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New hunter, First rifle and scope

Post by disco stu » 30 Jul 2021, 9:08 am

Others will be able to offer a lot better info than I can, but a few things I've gathered that might help.

Are you planning on eating the rabbits? I've heard that the 17 cal just destroy to much meat regularly.

While you are only new to shooting, can you ever see yourself reloading your own ammunition? I was never going to do that, yet I'm going down the path of getting into that lately. I've read many people say that they no longer run their 22wmr as it's just to expensive to shoot compared to reloading 223 or 222. Plus I've regularly seen 223 ammunition for sale for the same price as 22wmr per round.

Lots of people load reduced loads for these cartridges that put them in the 22wmr power range.

On scopes, I'm sure most will recommend you get one of the schnazzy brands. That's well outside my budget. They're great, but might just be a lot more scope than you need. I use binoculars much much more than my scope for finding animals, so would prefer a lower end scope and better binoculars but this will depend on the type of hunting you will be doing.

I've got a bushnell AR optics scope. Picked it up on special for about $170 posted and I've been happy with it so far. Got adjustable objective for the different distances I will be shooting at, plus holdover dots for longer shots than is been sighted in for. My only gripe is that all the adjustments are really stiff, especially in negative temps in winter when wearing gloves etc. I'm hoping that loosens up over time.

I ended up with a a Nikko Stirling mountmaster on a cheap 22 I bought. Can't be that bad I thought. While it's got adjustable objective and holdover dots like my other scope, the image difference is chalk and cheese , plus even getting objective correct for distance to target the image moves around in the scope as you move your head etc etc. It's like the image isn't "flat", but there is a bulge in the lens in the centre or something. I haven't hunted with this yet, only target, but I'm sure it will do just fine on the rabbits as it still hits the target just fine. Looking to upgrade to something the equivalent of the ar optics eventually though.

Hopefully this has been some help and got you asking the questions you need to ask before you buy rather than after
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2021, 9:37 am

rabbits, hares, 22lr

Foxes, feral cats, wild dogs. 222 or 223

Any decent sporting rifle ($700 - $1000 new) with a decent 3-9×40 scope. ($300 - $450) And yes consider hand loading down the track.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 30 Jul 2021, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 30 Jul 2021, 9:40 am

Hi Mate

223 for me
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2021, 9:48 am

Scopes to consider.
Vortex
Bushnell elite
Sitron
Leopold. (Probably the best of them)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 30 Jul 2021, 10:40 am

How you are going to hunt these critters has a lot to do with what gear is suitable .
The rifle and scope to walk around and hunt is different to what you would mostly use to lay down behind a gun on the ground using a bi-pod . You could go a lighter stalking type rifle with a more compact scope and fit a detachable bipod that you can carry in your pack . That way if required you can lay down over a rabbit warren etc.
Go here https://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/prod ... ifles/howa and look at the Howa barrelled actions and Hogue stocks .
Can't go too far wrong with a .223 , Howa , Hogue , Leupold scope , Harris bipod combination
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by deye243 » 30 Jul 2021, 12:11 pm

Last edited by deye243 on 30 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 30 Jul 2021, 12:12 pm

Seeing as you are looking for a Rimfire rifle my vote goes to the Lithgow la101 in 22WMR.
I liked my 22 so much I only just recently purchased a 17 hmr and i could not be happier as it groups very well in fact a lot better than my anschutz 1517 dhb and is a lot better built .

I used to only buy Leupold scopes mainly in VX3 or vx3i now that they're all but dropped that line of scopes they have lost me as a customer I have just bought a meopta optika 6 and am absolutely blown away at how much better than all of my leupold's it is so I would not hesitate in buying an optika5 hope this helps .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2021, 12:18 pm

Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 30 Jul 2021, 1:09 pm

Lots of great budget rifles around, howa, savage, weatherby and so on. Personally I wouldn't spend to much on my first outfit for a couple of reasons. When you own a firearm, you learn by trial and error what works, so in the learning process don't go out and buy a Mercedes, get a corolla in case you have a prang. Next reason i wouldn't go all out on my first rifle is because you're going to want another one soon, like a centrefire or shotgun, it'll leave a bit of coin for the next purchase.
As for scopes, I rave on about the vortex crossfire ii range because the glass is great for the money, turrets are a bit mushy, but you'll set and forget. Iv got the one with adjustable objective, which is a plus. But look around there's heaps of affordable options these days.
If your gonna go rimfire, go 22mag.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 30 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm

Out of the 3 cartridges you mention I'd go 17wsm
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Aussie_Vic » 30 Jul 2021, 4:28 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Lots of great budget rifles around, howa, savage, weatherby and so on. Personally I wouldn't spend to much on my first outfit for a couple of reasons. When you own a firearm, you learn by trial and error what works, so in the learning process don't go out and buy a Mercedes, get a corolla in case you have a prang. Next reason i wouldn't go all out on my first rifle is because you're going to want another one soon, like a centrefire or shotgun, it'll leave a bit of coin for the next purchase.
As for scopes, I rave on about the vortex crossfire ii range because the glass is great for the money, turrets are a bit mushy, but you'll set and forget. Iv got the one with adjustable objective, which is a plus. But look around there's heaps of affordable options these days.

I'm interested in a savage B series .22 as a first rifle for $595 but also leaning on the .223rem side. scopes i've sorted out.
For me depends if i'll buy a rimfire rifle for starters then a centrefire when i get the hang of things as you've said..
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 30 Jul 2021, 4:47 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:Lots of great budget rifles around, howa, savage, weatherby and so on. Personally I wouldn't spend to much on my first outfit for a couple of reasons. When you own a firearm, you learn by trial and error what works, so in the learning process don't go out and buy a Mercedes, get a corolla in case you have a prang. Next reason i wouldn't go all out on my first rifle is because you're going to want another one soon, like a centrefire or shotgun, it'll leave a bit of coin for the next purchase.

I'm interested in a savage B series .22 as a first rifle for $595 but also leaning on the .223rem side. scopes i've sorted out.
For me depends if i'll buy a rimfire rifle for starters then a centrefire when i get the hang of things as you've said..

You will regret getting a 22LR if you want to hunt all the things you mention. I was even thinking stepping it up to .223 like you say which will let you stretch right out when going for dogs, cats and foxes, but will be a bit much for the rabbits, and the cost of ammo will roughly double going from 22mag to 223, but if you're only shooting 20 rounds a trip the cost is negligible.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 30 Jul 2021, 5:04 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:

You will regret getting a 22LR if you want to hunt all the things you mention. I was even thinking stepping it up to .223 like you say which will let you stretch right out when going for dogs, cats and foxes, but will be a bit much for the rabbits, and the cost of ammo will roughly double going from 22mag to 223, but if you're only shooting 20 rounds a trip the cost is negligible.

without reloading the 223 is more expensive, if you can reload by either using someones press etc or get your own the 223 goes right back down to 22mag prices and cheaper with way more capability and accuracy.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bman940 » 31 Jul 2021, 3:19 am

You are in for some great times ahead. Hunting with friends is great fun and a great way to add food to the table, all be it, expensive food! I would suggest not buying a package rifle/scope combo that you will probably want to replace after only a year. I would suggest looking at the .308 Win and a quality optic that fits your budget. Ever since I started using Meopta products 3 years ago I have been on the bandwagon. Tremendous value for your money. Glass and build are excellent as you would expect from a company known for their glass, not only for outdoorsmen but the medical/scientific community too. I have the Optika5 4-20 and a friend has the 3-15. You can go wrong with either choice.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2021, 9:36 am

I do love how out of the 3 options,everyone is telling him 223/308/etc lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Jul 2021, 9:40 am

Oldbloke wrote:rabbits, hares, 22lr

Foxes, feral cats, wild dogs. 222 or 223

Any decent sporting rifle ($700 - $1000 new) with a decent 3-9×40 scope. ($300 - $450) And yes consider hand loading down the track.

This sums it up, the 222 and 223 will serve you better, be more vercitile and far more accurate. Never heard someone say they regretted buying a 222 or 223 and wished they had a souped up rimfire.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 02 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm

An old rule of thumb with scopes and rifles is spend on top what you spend on bottom. If you buy a quality rifle put a quality scope on it. Or as a mate said once "rifles and scopes is like breeding horses, you put your best on top"
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 02 Aug 2021, 8:31 pm

Another vote for 223. Have a look at the Howa 1500 Mini Action with 20" barrel, or Ruger American range. Both good and well-priced rifles.

For optics anything with a 'lifetime' sort of warranty will be good. Bushnell, Vortex and Leupold spring to mind. Personally I'd recommend a Leupold 'Freedom' in 4~12x40 as I find mine is brilliant for pretty much anything - closer work, out far, inbetween. Bushnell also do a good range of scopes in that sort of package and also with a lifetime warranty, but tend to be slightly more wallet friendly for the same features.

What I would seriously AVOID is anything used, anything unbranded from eBay, and anything marketed as "perfect for the recreational shooter" such as the $99 Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40. That last one may well shoot just fine at first... until you knock it! Then it'll likely go out of zero and even start developing problems if you knock it again. I find my Leupolds are bloody brilliant in that regard particularly and only need a re-zero when I use different loads through the rifle.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: You know what... you could probably get a modestly priced 223 and scope from the above selection, and then get a humble little Norinco 22LR with a basic scope package (Bushnell Banner or Trophy) as well. Whole lot could cost under $1700.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ZaineB » 02 Aug 2021, 9:28 pm

only criticism of the mini action is the lack of aftermarket support for things.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Downunder » 03 Aug 2021, 1:28 pm

My 2c.....
Rimfire Gun = CZ, couple of choices depending on your chosen predominant style. Rimfire will confine you to small varmints and close range preds.

Small centre fire if you can see yourself reloading in the future.

Buy the best scope you can, nothing beats reasonable glass on dusk, under a spotlight or in high RH environments.
Scopes are easily transferred from redundant guns to new upgrades.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Aug 2021, 6:01 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:G'day all
I've been shooting at the range with a 22.lr for a while now and wanting to go out hunting in the vic region.

I will be purchasing my first rifle soon for varmint hunting. I will be hunting rabbits, hares, foxes, feral cats and maybe wild dogs.

I can't decide which rimfire calibre to buy between 17.hmr, 22.wmr and 17wsm and what brand to buy.
Lithgow LA101 is the best brand i've seen for a rimfire. my budget is $500 to $1.3k
Any recommendations?

For scopes i'm relativity new to i have no clue which one to purchase my budget for scope is $150 to $500.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers! :D

out of what your looking at , and what you listed , a 22mag has more energy due to bullet weight , i'm not a lithgow fan myself , i would go CZ . as for scopes , leupold freedom in that price range , or bushnell
as others have said , with wild dogs you'd want ay least a 223 . do some more research and maybe look at second hand to save some $ . be careful , sometimes second hand stuff is up for sale for a reason :unknown:

good luck :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 03 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm

Same story from me too. For foxes at moderate ranges, and for wild dogs, a rimfire is not enough gun.

Most of us will have a .22 of some sort, along with other centrefires. If budget will not allow for both at this time, then perhaps think about getting the humble .22LR first up, and limit your hunting to that, until alter on you can get something bigger for longer range and larger targets. I do not own one myself, but as others have mentioned, a .223 is a good choice.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aussie_Vic » 03 Aug 2021, 8:24 pm

GQshayne wrote:Same story from me too. For foxes at moderate ranges, and for wild dogs, a rimfire is not enough gun.

Most of us will have a .22 of some sort, along with other centrefires. If budget will not allow for both at this time, then perhaps think about getting the humble .22LR first up, and limit your hunting to that, until alter on you can get something bigger for longer range and larger targets. I do not own one myself, but as others have mentioned, a .223 is a good choice.

.22lr or WMR is a great start as a first rifle as it's cheap and a great for beginner hunters, I'll try out my neighbours .223 see how it goes and might change to that.

I have my eyes on a savage b series 22wmr for $595 and .223 is with howa 1500 for around $600-$800

Any suggestions on the .22lr or wmr or even .223

Cheers
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2021, 9:42 pm

I don't own one, but Howa have a good rep. Rugar American 22lr also gets positive reports. The Norinco is cheap and cheerful, certainly worth considering if your on a tight budget.

These will be your first rifles. You don't need gimics or fancy stocks. Nor are you into long range target. You want to hunt. Game has been shot with basic firearms for yonks. Buy two in a moderate price range. Later you can upgrade if you have a need.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 03 Aug 2021, 10:39 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:.22lr or WMR is a great start as a first rifle as it's cheap and a great for beginner hunters, I'll try out my neighbours .223 see how it goes and might change to that.

I have my eyes on a savage b series 22wmr for $595 and .223 is with howa 1500 for around $600-$800

Cheers

I believe I posted this above:

boingk wrote:Another vote for 223. Have a look at the Howa 1500 Mini Action with 20" barrel, or Ruger American range. Both good and well-priced rifles.

For optics anything with a 'lifetime' sort of warranty will be good. Bushnell, Vortex and Leupold spring to mind. Personally I'd recommend a Leupold 'Freedom' in 4~12x40 as I find mine is brilliant for pretty much anything - closer work, out far, inbetween. Bushnell also do a good range of scopes in that sort of package and also with a lifetime warranty, but tend to be slightly more wallet friendly for the same features.

What I would seriously AVOID is anything used, anything unbranded from eBay, and anything marketed as "perfect for the recreational shooter" such as the $99 Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40. That last one may well shoot just fine at first... until you knock it! Then it'll likely go out of zero and even start developing problems if you knock it again. I find my Leupolds are bloody brilliant in that regard particularly and only need a re-zero when I use different loads through the rifle.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: You know what... you could probably get a modestly priced 223 and scope from the above selection, and then get a humble little Norinco 22LR with a basic scope package (Bushnell Banner or Trophy) as well. Whole lot could cost under $1700.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Aussie_Vic » 04 Aug 2021, 9:03 am

boingk wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:.22lr or WMR is a great start as a first rifle as it's cheap and a great for beginner hunters, I'll try out my neighbours .223 see how it goes and might change to that.

Cheers

I believe I posted this above:

boingk wrote:Another vote for 223. Have a look at the Howa 1500 Mini Action with 20" barrel, or Ruger American range. Both good and well-priced rifles.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks mate for reposting it again didn’t get a chance to look at your post. I’ll look into what rifles and scopes you suggested. Do you have any website recommendations to buy the scope or rifle from?

Cheers :)
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by K2bonsai » 04 Aug 2021, 11:31 am

My first question is this: What is your next rifle going to be?

If you plan on getting something bigger as a second rifle then I would go the way I did and get a 22MWR. For me this covers everything from being able to pump rounds at the range for practice and covers all the smaller game you mentioned. When i fire the 30g Vmax through my Ruger American it is very flat shooting and accurate.

My second rifle is a 6.5CM which has crossover on foxes/dogs etc for longer range and then covers me up to goats/pigs/deer etc. I was toying with getting something bigger but I don't have the inclination or time to travel to Vic for Sambar so most of the deer will be fallow here in NSW etc and the 6.5 is more than enough and has very little recoil.

My thoughts when deciding myself were between these combinations:

Buy 22WMR and then .243 or 6.5CM, OR
Buy .223 and maybe .308

I chose the former. When poeple talk ammo cost, if you go on a trip to get to your shooting are you will probably spend more on fuel/food etc and differences in ammo costs are negligable. Just my 2c worth
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aussie_Vic » 04 Aug 2021, 12:26 pm

K2bonsai wrote:My first question is this: What is your next rifle going to be?

If you plan on getting something bigger as a second rifle then I would go the way I did and get a 22MWR. For me this covers everything from being able to pump rounds at the range for practice and covers all the smaller game you mentioned. When i fire the 30g Vmax through my Ruger American it is very flat shooting and accurate.

My second rifle is a 6.5CM which has crossover on foxes/dogs etc for longer range and then covers me up to goats/pigs/deer etc. I was toying with getting something bigger but I don't have the inclination or time to travel to Vic for Sambar so most of the deer will be fallow here in NSW etc and the 6.5 is more than enough and has very little recoil.

My thoughts when deciding myself were between these combinations:

Buy 22WMR and then .243 or 6.5CM, OR
Buy .223 and maybe .308

I chose the former. When poeple talk ammo cost, if you go on a trip to get to your shooting are you will probably spend more on fuel/food etc and differences in ammo costs are negligable. Just my 2c worth

Thanks for the info mate, I’ll go with the savage or ruger 22.wmr for a first rifle then I have my eyes on a for my second rifle a howa.223 might change my mind and go to the 6.5 creedmore
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boingk » 04 Aug 2021, 9:39 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:Thanks mate for reposting it again didn’t get a chance to look at your post. I’ll look into what rifles and scopes you suggested. Do you have any website recommendations to buy the scope or rifle from?

Sent you a private message.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles