New hunter, First rifle and scope

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: New hunter, First rifle and scope

Post by Joshua.s » 18 Sep 2021, 4:44 am

Sooo, how did you go mate?
Did you make a decision on scope and rifle?
And pics if you did mate please .
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 19 Sep 2021, 5:45 pm

Go with the LA101 but in 22LR. This is a rifle you will keep for the rest of your life. It is that good. Rabbits, foxes, no probs. Would not go a large wild dog though with any rimfire. Dont skimp on rings. Leupold QRW or PRW are good.
For a scope go to the gun shop and look thru some. Avoid ebay scopes.
Hawke are the cheapest ones to consider, have one on my A22R, made in china but under pommy QA control. Have a Weaver 3 x 10 on my LA101 and it is nice. Leupold, Meopta, Vixen, Minox, Nikon are all good and not too pricey.
Dont go the WMR or .17 route because it will not be fun on the wallet if you want to plink.
If youre going to start reloading, avoid 223, you wont save a lot. Go the mighty 45 70 and with hardcast projectiles you can reload at around the same price of a high end 22 WMR round. (44 mag and 308 is also worth reloading)
Above all, Have fun. :D :D
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 19 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm

Joshua.s wrote:Sooo, how did you go mate?
Did you make a decision on scope and rifle?
And pics if you did mate please .

So far all good mate!.

Going for a Lithgow LA101 .22lr and still deciding the scope.

Will have pics in the next few months license is taking a while to get sorted.

Cheers
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 21 Sep 2021, 10:51 am

mickhead wrote:Go with the LA101 but in 22LR. This is a rifle you will keep for the rest of your life. It is that good. Rabbits, foxes, no probs. Would not go a large wild dog though with any rimfire. Dont skimp on rings. Leupold QRW or PRW are good.
Hawke are the cheapest ones to consider, have one on my A22R, made in china but under pommy QA control. Have a Weaver 3 x 10 on my LA101 and it is nice. Leupold, Meopta, Vixen, Minox, Nikon are all good and not too pricey.
Dont go the WMR or .17 route because it will not be fun on the wallet if you want to plink.
If youre going to start reloading, avoid 223, you wont save a lot. Go the mighty 45 70 and with hardcast projectiles you can reload at around the same price of a high end 22 WMR round. (44 mag and 308 is also worth reloading)

Does rifle weight matter to a certain degree.

It'll around 3.5kg to 3.6kg with a scope and rings?

What would the ideal rifle weight be for using it on properties, range and out in crown land (state & national parks).
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Sep 2021, 11:06 am

Max 8lb
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2021, 11:47 am

Aussie_Vic wrote:
mickhead wrote:Go with the LA101 but in 22LR. This is a rifle you will keep for the rest of your life. It is that good. Rabbits, foxes, no probs. Would not go a large wild dog though with any rimfire. Dont skimp on rings. Leupold QRW or PRW are good.

Does rifle weight matter to a certain degree.

It'll around 3.5kg to 3.6kg with a scope and rings?

What would the ideal rifle weight be for using it on properties, range and out in crown land (state & national parks).

The ideal for a hunting rifle is as light and compact as possible, it's only luggage until you're ready to shoot something. Same with the ammo, why carry .45-70 rounds if .357 Magnum is sufficient.
If you're hunting larger beasts you might prefer to go with iron sights over a scope. Scopes add bulk and weight and can become a disadvantage, trying to crawl through heavy bush, or scramble up and down steep slopes, or hunting in wet weather - rain on the scope lenses, or fogging inside can be a real problem, even with non-magnified optics. Irons always work.

My Winchester 1894 carbine weighs 2.85kg empty, eight rounds of 150gn .30-30 adds 170gm. Add a sling and you're up around 3.1kg.
A Ruger American 18" Compact in 7mm-08 weighs 2.7kg, but it has no sights. You could put a 110gm holographic reflex sight on it, or a lightweight scope and rings for as little as 300gm. Or you could just put iron sights on it.

You generally won't be shooting in state or national parks, it's state forests mainly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 21 Sep 2021, 6:03 pm

LA101 with a scope is a light rifle. Marlin 4570 sbl with scope is much heavier. But much more fun when you shoot it. No probs when you sling it. Carry and shoot what you are comfortable with. And, buy a safe that comfortably holds at least 8 scoped rifles… :)
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2021, 7:14 pm

mickhead wrote:LA101 with a scope is a light rifle. Marlin 4570 sbl with scope is much heavier. But much more fun when you shoot it. No probs when you sling it. Carry and shoot what you are comfortable with. And, buy a safe that comfortably holds at least 8 scoped rifles… :)

I can't call the 101 a light rifle by any measure, and certainly not for a rimfire. Even the polymer stock is 3.1kg, the timber one is 3.3kg. And it has no sights.
The polymer Ruger American Compact .22LR is 2.4kg - with sights.

The 1895SBL is a big heavy rifle at 3.63kg, but it does have sights. The 1895G non-stainless .45-70 is 3.175kg, lighter than a timber stocked LA101 .22LR.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 21 Sep 2021, 8:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickhead wrote:LA101 with a scope is a light rifle. Marlin 4570 sbl with scope is much heavier. But much more fun when you shoot it. No probs when you sling it. Carry and shoot what you are comfortable with. And, buy a safe that comfortably holds at least 8 scoped rifles… :)

I can't call the 101 a light rifle by any measure, and certainly not for a rimfire. Even the polymer stock is 3.1kg, the timber one is 3.3kg. And it has no sights.

The 1895SBL is a big heavy rifle at 3.63kg, but it does have sights. The 1895G non-stainless .45-70 is 3.175kg, lighter than a timber stocked LA101 .22LR.

So going for a lighter rifle is better in a way?
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 21 Sep 2021, 8:46 pm

Had a sling in mind if I need to carry it.
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, but you won't really know what your personal limit is until get out and lug it around in the bush. Like most things, if a 4kg, 24" rifle is what you have then you'll adapt to it. But if you get to play with a sub-3kg, 16" carbine, you might find it painful going back to old faithful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 21 Sep 2021, 10:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, but you won't really know what your personal limit is until get out and lug it around in the bush. Like most things, if a 4kg, 24" rifle is what you have then you'll adapt to it. But if you get to play with a sub-3kg, 16" carbine, you might find it painful going back to old faithful.

Appreciate the help and info. Will have a think about it
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 22 Sep 2021, 4:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Now you have me curious as to the weights :) will put mine on the scales soon and post the results.
I would be very surprised if anyone struggled to carry an LA101 on a sling all day.
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2021, 5:01 pm

mickhead wrote:Now you have me curious as to the weights :) will put mine on the scales soon and post the results.
I would be very surprised if anyone struggled to carry an LA101 on a sling all day.

Somebody that's used to carrying a Ruger American Compact or a Ruger 10/22 might, or any number of other rimfire rifles :-)
My 1950 BSA Sportsman 5 is 2.6kg, as is my Norinco JW21 lever.

My neighbour has a wooden LA101 .22LR, I think it's the same weight as his .30-06 Remington 700BDL.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 23 Sep 2021, 7:13 am

bladeracer wrote:

Certainly the T1x is very luggable, sling or not!
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 11:23 am

bah! wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The 16" MTR is 2.7kg, in the region that I would consider the "normal" weight of a rimfire hunting rifle. But it doesn't have sights.

My Lithgow Model 1B is right on 2kg, my Cooey Ace1 is under 2kg.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 23 Sep 2021, 1:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bah! wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The 16" MTR is 2.7kg, in the region that I would consider the "normal" weight of a rimfire hunting rifle. But it doesn't have sights.

My Lithgow Model 1B is right on 2kg, my Cooey Ace1 is under 2kg.

Would 2.7kg be over the limit for a .22 bare with no rings or scope on it.?

Edit: Sorry was a silly question just read above with your Ruger .22lr
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 2:01 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:Would 2.7kg be over the limit for a .22 bare with no rings or scope on it.?

Nope, not over any limit, unless you find it's more than you're comfortable carrying around the bush all day. As I said earlier, it's just an awkward lump of ballast until you actually want to shoot something :-)

The Ruger American Compact without the scope is an absolute pleasure to wander around with, and the iron sights are just fun to shoot with. My Ruger Precision Rimfire weighs 5.5kg as I have it set up currently. It's still quite comfortable to walk around all day with it hanging on a single-point sling, but it is certainly more obvious that you're carrying it. My Ruger American Rimfire Target with the lami-stock is en-par with the LA101 as they're aimed at similar markets, bench shooting at paper rather than hunting (despite the LA101 being classed as a "crossover") with a heavy barrel, and no sights.

I mainly use the lighter rifles for practicing offhand shooting, a 100rd session offhand with the RPR gets pretty tiring :-)

Shooting off a bench at the range for an hour or two doesn't compare at all with carrying your rifle around for eight, ten, twelve hours or more in heavy terrain, and probably damp weather.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 23 Sep 2021, 4:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Aussie_Vic wrote:Would 2.7kg be over the limit for a .22 bare with no rings or scope on it.?

Nope, not over any limit, unless you find it's more than you're comfortable carrying around the bush all day. As I said earlier, it's just an awkward lump of ballast until you actually want to shoot something :-)

The Ruger American Compact without the scope is an absolute pleasure to wander around with, and the iron sights are just fun to shoot with. My Ruger Precision Rimfire weighs 5.5kg as I have it set up currently. It's still quite comfortable to walk around all day with it hanging on a single-point sling, but it is certainly more obvious that you're carrying it. My Ruger American Rimfire Target with the lami-stock is en-par with the LA101 as they're aimed at similar markets, bench shooting at paper rather than hunting (despite the LA101 being classed as a "crossover") with a heavy barrel, and no sights.

I mainly use the lighter rifles for practicing offhand shooting, a 100rd session offhand with the RPR gets pretty tiring :-)

Shooting off a bench at the range for an hour or two doesn't compare at all with carrying your rifle around for eight, ten, twelve hours or more in heavy terrain, and probably damp weather.

That's good news i thought Ruger was below Lithgow as of accuracy and all roundedness but thoughts are different now on it...

Will have a look at both rifles see which one handles and feels better.

The Ruger American Rimfire Target does look really nice and weight is perfect my kinda style :)
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickhead » 23 Sep 2021, 5:34 pm

Ok, just done a weigh in :)
Scales are tested within 2 grams.
I am not a great shot, so the last number is the size of a target that I can consistently hit at 50m with a bag under the forend.
LA 101 with poly stock 3 x 10 x 50 weaver nitrex, prw rings = 3.76 kg 15mm
A22R scoped 3 x 9 Hawke qrw rings = 3.10 kg 25 mm
BL22 scoped vixen 2 x 8 tiny scope = 2.73 kg 50 mm
Heaviest gun is Howa 1500 308 heavy barrel 10 rds mag bipod 4.5 x 14 minox with prw rings. 5.13 kg, 15mm at 100m. Bastard to carry around due to all the stick out bits like mags and bipods, as opposed to the weight.
Lightest is the Rossi 44 mag iron sights 2.95kg 11 rds hit a tennis ball at 50m :)
Have left a few out, have fun, buy the lithgow.
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 5:48 pm

Aussie_Vic wrote:That's good news i thought Ruger was below Lithgow as of accuracy and all roundedness but thoughts are different now on it...

Will have a look at both rifles see which one handles and feels better.

The Ruger American Rimfire Target does look really nice and weight is perfect my kinda style :)

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22, and I currently own eight Rugers I think.
The Lithgow is a very, very pretty rifle, but pretty does nothing for me.
I took my Norinco JW21 out on Monday to shoot a calf and to skin it to wrap around a poddy calf. I doubt I would've taken an LA101 out in the hail and slush to do that job, but the little Norinco lapped it up as it always does, and came home sopping wet and caked in mud, blood and cow poo, just like Rose and myself :-)

The Target model is not perfect by any means. It has a low comb for iron sights (mine is the 8348 model - https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html), which is ridiculous on a rifle designed for a scope only. So you would want to put some sort of cheek riser on it. And the heavy barrel does make it somewhat front heavy for offhand shooting, though not terribly as the barrel is only 18". The Precision models of the Target with the thumbhole stocks have a higher comb better suited to scope use.
Mine are all in aluminium MDT chassis now so the stock comb height wasn't a problem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 5:56 pm

mickhead wrote:Ok, just done a weigh in :)
I am not a great shot, so the last number is the size of a target that I can consistently hit at 50m with a bag under the forend.
Heaviest gun is Howa 1500 308 heavy barrel 10 rds mag bipod 4.5 x 14 minox with prw rings. 5.13 kg, 15mm at 100m. Bastard to carry around due to all the stick out bits like mags and bipods, as opposed to the weight.
Lightest is the Rossi 44 mag iron sights 2.95kg 11 rds hit a tennis ball at 50m :)

Sounds like weighing them was just a handy excuse to do some shooting ;-)
My Rossi .357 is 24" stainless (bought from a member here) and is quite a lump of steel, currently topped with the 2-7x32 scout scope - 3.94kg empty.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 Sep 2021, 7:23 pm

IMHO the Lithgow is a very well engineered and made rifle. Not just fir and finish but a well built very hardy rifle. The action is really good and strong and modeled on a custom target action. It has a 3 lug bolt which gives a 60 deg bolt throw and locks up really securely and hold the bolt very squarely to the chamber.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bah! » 23 Sep 2021, 9:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
The 16" MTR is 2.7kg, in the region that I would consider the "normal" weight of a rimfire hunting rifle.

Mine is 2.4kg, maybe not mtr model?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2021, 11:36 pm

bah! wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
The 16" MTR is 2.7kg, in the region that I would consider the "normal" weight of a rimfire hunting rifle.

Mine is 2.4kg, maybe not mtr model?

No idea, trying to find definitive weights on the Tikka site is painful.
Is yours modular with removable pistol grip and fore end?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 24 Sep 2021, 7:34 am

bladeracer wrote:
No idea, trying to find definitive weights on the Tikka site is painful.
Is yours modular with removable pistol grip and fore end?

pistol grip maybe, fore end maybe not?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickhead » 24 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickhead wrote:Ok, just done a weigh in :)

Sounds like weighing them was just a handy excuse to do some shooting ;-)
My Rossi .357 is 24" stainless (bought from a member here) and is quite a lump of steel, currently topped with the 2-7x32 scout scope - 3.94kg empty.

Mate thats a huge difference! Mine is the stainless puma 92 20 inch, and that 2.95 kg is fully loaded with 300 grain handloads.
Combine that light weight with the stainless buttplate it can be an amusing surprise for those thinking its only a tiny handgun load :)
mickhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2021, 5:24 pm

mickhead wrote:Mate thats a huge difference! Mine is the stainless puma 92 20 inch, and that 2.95 kg is fully loaded with 300 grain handloads.
Combine that light weight with the stainless buttplate it can be an amusing surprise for those thinking its only a tiny handgun load :)

I wanted the 16" but an EG member offered me this one at a crazy price that I couldn't say no to :-)

The stainless 24" octo-barrel is 3.4kg bare, compared to 2.6kg for the 16" blued carbine.
https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-action-rifles/56-r92-357-mag-24-12-rounds-octagonal-barrel-stainless-steel-brazilian-hardwood
https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-action-rifles/73-r92-357-mag-16-8-rounds-polished-black-brazilian-hardwood

My .44 Mag is the Marlin 1894.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 24 Sep 2021, 8:53 pm

And then there's the Citadel / Rossi Levtac 92. 16" barrel, synthetic stock and MLOK forend...damn thing weights nothing at all. I'll have to weight mine in the morning just to know now!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigpete » 25 Sep 2021, 5:37 pm

Only thing extra weight helps with is recoil. And that will help with accuracy. You spend more time carrying a hunting rifle than shooting it,so why not have as light a rifle as you can shoot accurately.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles