Ruger vs Savage

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger vs Savage

Post by Aussie_Vic » 09 Aug 2021, 9:38 pm

G'day all!

Looking for a rifle just to pop rabbits and hares out to 110meters.

I have my eye on a savage b series or Ruger in 22lr, wmr or 17hmr

any recommendations?

Cheers
:D
Last edited by Aussie_Vic on 10 Aug 2021, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ruger vs Savage

Post by in2anity » 09 Aug 2021, 10:15 pm

Velocity is your friend out there on those blustery days. It’s more complex than I’m making out, but I think you will find the 17hmr bucks the wind slightly better than ye olde 22wmr. Either way your choice should be influenced by what ammunition you can actually obtain. I think the Ruger Precision Rimfire 17hmr would impress you. Compared with the 22wmr the 17hmr is a more inherently accurate round also, your odds of getting a tack driver are better. I’m yet to see a 17hmr that didn’t shoot.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 09 Aug 2021, 11:48 pm

My 2c worth - for versatility I'd go with 22LR and load "Stinger" or "Velocitor" or similar loads when you want to reach out and standard or HV loads for general use and cheap plinking. And I wouldn't rule out CZ.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 10 Aug 2021, 6:54 am

I’ve got a couple of Ruger American Compacts, one in 22mag and the other in 22lr. I sold my Savage B22 in 22lr to buy the Ruger as I liked my 22mag Ruger so much. Both Ruger and Savage make good rimfire rifles though, handle both and see which one you like better. The things I didn’t like about my B22 were the bolt, and the magazine, which was really tight and hard to load.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 10 Aug 2021, 7:15 am

G'day,

I've been shooting hares and also a few foxes and a cat with my Weihrauch 66P in .22 WMR out to 90 yards or so using Hornady V-Max in 30 gr. I did knock off a fox one night at 120 yards - I misjudged the range, but hit it through the lungs and it didn't get far before dropping. I like the lighter weight of the .22 WMR for walking and stalking hares at night with a PARD NV008 sight compared to my heavier centre-fires. The rifle is accurate and shooting 1" groups at 100 yards.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 10 Aug 2021, 10:42 am

Hi NTSOG

I don't own either of those brand rifles.
I do own 22 and 22 WMR rifles.
I find rabbits, foxes, cats etc out to about the range you mentioned, are no problems with either calibre. I use 40gr Winchester powerpoints in my 22LR.
One of my other 22LR rifles like stingers.

In my 22WMR, I have found the Remington accutip to be the most accurate for me. Shot placement is key

The problems are these: 22WMR is much louder. Those Remington accutips, if you can get them, cost more than 223 ammo :crazy:
So if you want to use the rifle for general plinking, the 22 is much cheaper.

my 2c :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 10 Aug 2021, 11:20 am

G'day Bello,

I have only used the Hornady V-Max .22 WMR so far and have done so well I haven't been tempted to try other ammunition. As for plinking, my BRNO model 2 with CCI sub-sonics is good practice though the CCIs are not as accurate as RWS sub-sonics. Unfortunately RWS ammunition is more expensive so I reserve it for scaring bunnies if and when I see any. The .22 WMR is still quieter than my other foxing rifles in .222 Rem so I use the .22 WMR on the East side of my property where there are some houses on 10 acre blocks across the road. I use the centre-fires on the West side where there is just bush/pine plantations bordering my place.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 10 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

I'm a big cz fan, but I'd take a Ruger over a savage any day. Less plastic, good solid actions
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 10 Aug 2021, 7:35 pm

Yes im with Inisbineest ruger over a savage ,got both 22lr and 22mag both tack drivers............ :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 10 Aug 2021, 11:42 pm

Ruger 22LR with Stingers. Bloody good rounds and from what I've bothered to chronograph get close to the advertised velocity, too. 32gn at 1600fps isn't too shabby!

Otherwise I'd also recommend a Norinco JW15 - I love mine and its a decently accurate thing to boot. Not a refined action but does take CZ mags which are readily available i you wish to have more than the two 5rd they come with. My wood stocked late model example is certainly no CZ but like I said, shoots well.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2021, 7:23 am

Oops I didn’t realize that the 22lr was an option here - absolutely every shooter needs a 22lr in the safe. Nonetheless, for popping specifically rabbits at 100m, I don’t really see why you would opt for a 22wmr over the 17hmr. Ammo costs are similar also. Meanwhile the 22lr is a bit dicey at 100m under bad wind.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 11 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm

everyone has an opinion based on their own experiences, however I would not buy a savage ever, the mags suck and the build quality looks like my kids made it in manual arts, get the ruger all day
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Lsfan » 11 Aug 2021, 11:37 pm

What if someone was to suggest a marlin 17hmr heavy barrel or an issc straight pull 17hmr. Any comments/ opinions on how those would stack up against the op’s suggestions? Bear in mind these options are available $150 cheaper and in timber stocks.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 31 Aug 2021, 8:56 am

I know its not a rimfire but how about a 22 hornet
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand