Any risk in buying a second hand 22LR?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Any risk in buying a second hand 22LR?

Post by feedr » 07 Apr 2014, 11:35 am

G'day,

I know it's been touched on here before about concerns with buying second hand rifles, mostly the conversation have been about centrefire stuff though where people can be abusing the rifle by shooting hot loads, not cleaning the barrel, having a shot out barrel etc. etc.

All that's not really a concern for 22LR though... As discussed lots people get 10s of thousands of rounds through there 22LR without cleaning.

I guess then that as long as a 22LR looks to be in good condition, there's not really any problems to be had below the skin, right?

Am I missing anything?
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Any risk in buying a second hand 22LR?

Post by Apollo » 07 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm

Whilst not cleaning a .22LR may be fine and I don't unless I have changed brands of ammo, that is the wax coating is different.

Buying a .22LR I would certainly look at the bore condition. If you can have it cleaned then look through the bore. What I'm getting at here is internal corrosion from neglect like moisture in the bore that has caused rusting. Damaged rifling and any number of faults other than just plain usage.

If you can not inspect the bore personally and to satisfy your own mind perhaps ask if the Dealer can inspect and give you a report before you commit to the purchase. Probably all worse case and not really needed. Buyer beware.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 08 Apr 2014, 8:43 am

You'd have to put your average 22LR through an epic amount of use to wear it out from 'normal' shooting.

In that aspect you wouldn't have the same potential problems as a centrefire rifle.

As Apollo rightly points out though, problems from neglect is a definite possibility. While a lot of people never clean the inside of the barrel itself, there are still some basics like keeping it away from moisture. If you were laying it up for months/years it would be worth cleaning/oiling it too.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Xerox » 08 Apr 2014, 8:44 am

I'd say less of a concern compared to buying a centrefire, not entirely risk free.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 08 Apr 2014, 8:46 am

Joom wrote:While a lot of people never clean the inside of the barrel itself, there are still some basics like keeping it away from moisture. If you were laying it up for months/years it would be worth cleaning/oiling it too.

Yep.

I don't clean mine if I'm expecting to be using it every week or two. There are enough silicon moisture bag things in my safe to sink a ship though.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 08 Apr 2014, 8:51 am

I'm happy to go a month or two without cleaning mine.

This is using lead waxed coated bullets only. No copper.

Any longer than that though I'll clean it all the way back and oil it for storage.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by feedr » 10 Apr 2014, 1:24 pm

Apollo wrote:If you can not inspect the bore personally and to satisfy your own mind perhaps ask if the Dealer can inspect and give you a report before you commit to the purchase. Probably all worse case and not really needed. Buyer beware.

Yeah, I'd always check it out first hand, but having said that I'm no gun smith or barrel expert.

If there is some glaringly obvious problem I'd avoid it but who knows what subtle stuff slips past a novice.

Like you say, probably all worst case stuff but doesn't hurt to ask ;)
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 10 Apr 2014, 8:12 pm

Hucka wrote:I'm happy to go a month or two without cleaning mine.

Plenty of guys going well longer than that.

I know fellas who haven't touched the inside of their .22 barrel for 10 years.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles