best budget air rifle under $500

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

best budget air rifle under $500

Post by CT hillbilly » 17 Aug 2021, 7:33 pm

hi all was looking around for a air rifle and came across the gamo magnum x10 replay (any thoughts) I'm wanting something reasonably cheap as its only for birds (pest) at close range to 30m ish wondering if anyone out there would have any suggestions?????
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: best budget air rifle under $500

Post by boingk » 17 Aug 2021, 8:22 pm

Magazine-fed break-barrel action... never heard of something like that. Wow. Integral muzzle brake, funky stock (if thats your thing), 10 round mag... cool. 30ftlb of energy? Yeah, that looks like a good little air rifle.

Not a fan of the stock myself but the actual rifle seems like it'd be decent.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Lsfan » 17 Aug 2021, 8:47 pm

CT hillbilly wrote:hi all was looking around for a air rifle and came across the gamo magnum x10 replay (any thoughts) I'm wanting something reasonably cheap as its only for birds (pest) at close range to 30m ish wondering if anyone out there would have any suggestions?????

Where are you located? Cleaver have those for $425. I’ve got a stoeger x10 with carbon fibre stock. I paid only $250 brand new. Frustrating being a single shot but seems accurate and built ok.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm

CT hillbilly wrote:hi all was looking around for a air rifle and came across the gamo magnum x10 replay (any thoughts) I'm wanting something reasonably cheap as its only for birds (pest) at close range to 30m ish wondering if anyone out there would have any suggestions?????

Are you experienced with spring or gas strut air-rifles already?
If not, I suggest borrowing one and seeing if you can shoot it accurately at 30m. It can take some practice to shoot well with one due to the large moving masses.
CO2 or PCP are much easier to shoot accurately (in my opinion - I have gas strut and CO2 rifles) more akin to conventional rifles. But CO2 is very limited in velocity which may rule out 30m shots on live targets. PCP rifles probably start around $2000.

I just had a look at the Gamo Magnum X10. It won't be suppressed in the Australian version, those are prohibited. And it's rated at 470mps in .177", and 380mps in.22, which is way too high, you want to stay subsonic for accuracy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2021, 11:56 pm

Lsfan wrote:

Where are you located? Cleaver have those for $425. I’ve got a stoeger x10 with carbon fibre stock. I paid only $250 brand new. Frustrating being a single shot but seems accurate and built ok.

The Stoeger X10 is rated at 1000fps in .177, which is good. But it has an automatic safety? Those suck.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CT hillbilly » 18 Aug 2021, 6:08 am

Lsfan wrote:

hey mate, in charters towers NQ could get them to ship it up i guess?
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 18 Aug 2021, 6:12 am

bladeracer wrote:

Are you experienced with spring or gas strut air-rifles already?
If not, I suggest borrowing one and seeing if you can shoot it accurately at 30m. It can take some practice to shoot well with one due to the large moving masses.
CO2 or PCP are much easier to shoot accurately (in my opinion - I have gas strut and CO2 rifles) more akin to conventional rifles. But CO2 is very limited in velocity which may rule out 30m shots on live targets. PCP rifles probably start around $2000.

I just had a look at the Gamo Magnum X10. It won't be suppressed in the Australian version, those are prohibited. And it's rated at 470mps in .177", and 380mps in.22, which is way too high, you want to stay subsonic for accuracy.

yeah mate i lernt to shoot with my dads diana mod 34 in .177 break barrel with open sights, yeah they do pack a punch the x10, i think it will be good for my sons with rabbits also???
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bravs » 18 Aug 2021, 8:40 am

Look up Diana Stormrider PCP. You can get it under $500. The big funshop in Qld have them from $305 - $329.
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by CT hillbilly » 18 Aug 2021, 4:11 pm

Will do mate cheers
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 20 Aug 2021, 7:09 am

had a look at the stormrider i think i will stick with the break barrel setup not a fan of the gas just more stuff to carry around
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 22 Aug 2021, 6:51 am

yeah i have a 22lr plinkster already and have used it for this purpose but close range is a bit much will have a look at those rounds never used them before are they the same as the zeds ???
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by boingk » 22 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

CCI 22LR 'Quiet' and 22 Short 'Target' are both very, very quiet rounds. Subsonic, low speed 700~800fps, very useful if you want to limit noise.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by NTSOG » 22 Aug 2021, 12:18 pm

G'day,

I have a number of low powered air rifles that I have used to plug messy birds in my machinery shed using light weight .177 rounds. In particular I favour a fairly basic Anschutz 335 with a Bug-buster scope on it. It knocks down swallows, etc. and, as might be expected being an Anschutz, is very accurate though the trigger is pretty rough. What must be considered is that even an air rifle pellet can leave a 'ding' on zincalume cladding if one is shooting inside and the rifle is one of the very high-powered ones. [I will not use my very high powered air rifles for shooting birds inside the shed as they do make a large ding on cladding.] I also have some vintage 10M target rifles with dioptre sights and, at 20 yards or so, they knock over even quite large birds. Competition 10M rifles such as Anschutz 380s or FWB 300 S or 600 are limited in power, but it's hard to miss with them.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by CT hillbilly » 22 Aug 2021, 7:56 pm

cheers for the feedback mate
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2021, 9:09 pm

boingk wrote:CCI 22LR 'Quiet' and 22 Short 'Target' are both very, very quiet rounds. Subsonic, low speed 700~800fps, very useful if you want to limit noise.

- boingk

These are my preference also, but the Quiets are a full 40gn bullet, so it will penetrate structures very easily. The low-subsonic Longs and Shorts are only 29gn bullets at similar 700fps velocities, so they're better. But they can still do a lot more damage than an 8gn pellet at 850fps, pellets do have a place when you're shooting in and around structures you don't want to damage or penetrate. When I was a kid I would push a standard 40gn bullet around until the case mouth cut through the heel of the bullet, leaving an effectively-round ball of about 5gns left in the case. Velocity was obviously much higher, but penetration was greatly reduced for shooting rats around the house and sheds.

My 850fps .177" gas-strut rifle is significantly louder than .22LR CCI Quiets, my CO2 10/22 air-rifle is quieter, only making around 600fps, very useful for rats.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 23 Aug 2021, 12:59 pm

G'day,

Some air rifles - and it's not just the powerful ones - do make a quite audible noise that can be heard 100 yards away on a calm day. My FWB 600 and Walther LG 90, both vintage 10M target rifles, make a sharp noise on firing yet are very low powered. My .20 Weihrauch HW 90 [with Theoben ram] is pretty loud, though sub-sonic - about 900fps.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles