Ruger precision and Stingers

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger precision and Stingers

Post by Crankbro » 18 Aug 2021, 12:19 am

Has anyone used cci stingers in there ruger precision rimfire ? I was given a couple of boxes but have been told they have a match barrel and may be an issue with the stingers ? Cant seem to find any info on what barrel they have online .I wonder has anyone used them and had any issue ?
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22lr
Remington 700 ADL .223
Franchi Horizin .308
Adler b230 12g
Crankbro
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Ruger precision and Stingers

Post by boingk » 18 Aug 2021, 12:32 am

Barrel's a barrel. 22LR is a 22LR.

Copper plated 32gn projectile at 1600fps isn't going to rattle any windows.

You'll be fine mate.

Test a few different sorts and see what she enjoys - thats part of the fun of rimfires!

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by deye243 » 18 Aug 2021, 12:37 am

Stingers have a longer case and shorter pill so you can see the potential problem in a tight match chamber I don't think the Ruger has that type of chamber but it is easy to see if they will work .

leave the bolt back single feed one into the chamber with your fingers if it easily seats all the way you don't have a problem if it stops 3 to 4mm short you have a problem .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2021, 5:03 am

Crankbro wrote:Has anyone used cci stingers in there ruger precision rimfire ? I was given a couple of boxes but have been told they have a match barrel and may be an issue with the stingers ? Cant seem to find any info on what barrel they have online .I wonder has anyone used them and had any issue ?

The Ruger Precision Rimfire does not have a match chamber, Stingers are fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Aug 2021, 8:39 am

FWIW,
It was a cartridge with a long case that made contact with the rifling/leade, in my CZ455. You could see the marks engraved on the outside of the cases. They were accurate but I just did not like the idea. Made me think that the case would wear out that part of the rifling, leading to a loss of accuracy with traditional 22lr ammo.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Aug 2021, 11:39 am

Stingers are great. I use them in my henry pump and ruger american.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Crankbro » 18 Aug 2021, 8:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Crankbro wrote:Has anyone used cci stingers in there ruger precision rimfire ? I was given a couple of boxes but have been told they have a match barrel and may be an issue with the stingers ? Cant seem to find any info on what barrel they have online .I wonder has anyone used them and had any issue ?

The Ruger Precision Rimfire does not have a match chamber, Stingers are fine.

Yer that’s what I assumed but there’s a warning in the ruger handbook which came with the rifle with half a page dedicated to a warning saying not to use stingers . My research online came up with nothing why this is the case and I’ve assumed it just a generalised warning from Ruger because its a hyper velocity round as opposed to any specific issue with the rifle .
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22lr
Remington 700 ADL .223
Franchi Horizin .308
Adler b230 12g
Crankbro
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 19 Aug 2021, 8:27 pm

Sounds like a standard lawyers warning.

Things about to hit the shelves and someone goes "oh s**t, Tom, did we test this thing with the Stinkers?"

"Er, Stingers?"

"Fahrk, no idea. The hyper velocity things?"

"Ah, those. Nah, never got to it. What you wanna do?"

"Meh, throw a warning in the manual. That'll cover it."

"Goodo. Beers? Need something to wash the taste of hooker sweat out of my mouth."

"Thought you'd never ask."

And thats how mass production capitalism works!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Larry » 19 Aug 2021, 8:34 pm

I think the risk of damage comes from the longer case which could crimp the projectile in a match chamber and over pressure. Not the extra velocity which is gained by dropping 2grm off the projectile.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by deye243 » 19 Aug 2021, 11:18 pm

More like 8 grains ,cci velocitor chiit all over Stingers out past 80 yards only ever seen one rifle that would shoot a stinger under an inch at 70 yards velocity does not mean squat without bullet weight and bc .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Adzy » 21 Aug 2021, 6:36 pm

deye243 wrote:Stingers have a longer case and shorter pill so you can see the potential problem in a tight match chamber I don't think the Ruger has that type of chamber but it is easy to see if they will work .

leave the bolt back single feed one into the chamber with your fingers if it easily seats all the way you don't have a problem if it stops 3 to 4mm short you have a problem .
I beg to differ , I have tried 5 different types of 22LR including CCI Stingers and they all sit 3-4 mm proud when individually inserted into the chamber in my LA101 . All rounds fire and cycle correctly . So I’m not sure this is a problem for most 22lr rifles .
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 21 Aug 2021, 7:09 pm

I have one as well single-feed they slide all the way in to the rim but I clean my chamber every time I use it .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles