SK ammo question

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

SK ammo question

Post by MtnMan » 23 Aug 2021, 8:29 pm

I have found that my LA101 .22lr shoots lights out SK subsonics.
Now that I want to buy a few bricks of it I'm not sure I can find any. I bought a heap of different ammo when I bought the rifle from 'The Barn' in Oakey, QLD including this packet of SK subs.

Problem is no website I look at for SK ammo shows anything that resembles what I have.

IMG_8238.JPG
IMG_8238.JPG (22.3 KiB) Viewed 7297 times

IMG_8239.JPG
IMG_8239.JPG (19.93 KiB) Viewed 7297 times

IMG_8240.JPG
IMG_8240.JPG (20.55 KiB) Viewed 7297 times

Is this simply an old packet that has been replaced with new packaging? If so, what does the new packet look like and is it the same ammo just in a newer packet? I want to buy with confidence I'm getting the same stuff.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: SK ammo question

Post by Larry » 23 Aug 2021, 9:31 pm

Try Ammunition Galore he sell at pretty reasonable prices. https://www.ammunitiongalore.com.au/ind ... nition.php
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by scoot » 23 Aug 2021, 9:45 pm

I believe the subsonic stuff like in your pics was discontinued.
Plenty of other sk options worth trying but I noticed some variants may be thin on the ground. I tried 5 different stores in SA last week and couldn't get long range or pistol match special at any.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by rc42 » 23 Aug 2021, 10:31 pm

If you're lucky enough to find ammo that's perfectly matched to your rifle you need to stock up immediately, even when the packaging is the same the next batch will likely have been made using different raw materials and slightly different powder and on a different machine in the factory.

SK changed their boxes to black background with bright coloured text for 'SK' and the ammo type several years ago, I've never seen that old type packaging on sale so it must have been the last of some very old stock.
Unfortunately your search is going to have to start again but SK is made in the Lapua factory so is generally very good ammo.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 24 Aug 2021, 5:58 am

Bloody typical! find something you like and guaranteed it will become obsolete.

Thanks for the info guys.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 24 Aug 2021, 6:12 am

Bloody typical! find something you like and guaranteed it will become obsolete.

Been looking at the new offerings. Does SK not make a 40gr hollow point now? Everything I see is 40gr round nose. These subs I have are 40gr HP. Bit confusing because The barn lists an SK subsonic but it's a lead round nose. The standard plus is also subsonic but I can't find out whether it's a LRN or HP.

MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 24 Aug 2021, 7:36 am

seems from the little bit of searching i've done that SK no longer makes any hollow points.

I'm continually amazed at how often it happens that when you find something you like it gets changed or becomes obsolete. This goes for everything in life.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 24 Aug 2021, 9:02 am

It kind of makes sense though as SK has positioned itself as a supplier of Match grade ammo not aimed at hunting. Hollow points are really for hunting and are not typically as accurate.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Bello » 24 Aug 2021, 9:12 am

I have used he SK ammo in my 22LR rifles. Its nice and accurate and EXPENSIVE
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 24 Aug 2021, 9:33 am

A mate of mine uses SK a lot and I tried some in my Brno Mod 2 and they were good but Winchester Power Points were just as good only very slightly less accurate in my gun so for me I use Winchester Power points to hunt and have been quite happy .
As far as subsonics go some of the low velocity target stuff works about the same like T22 . It's going to be difficult to run down a supply in the current circumstances .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

You have to be quick. Once you find ammo it likes go buy a brick or 3 within a week or so.
I decided on RWs subs & went back to the LGS a week later and they had run out of stock. But got lucky at another the following week. But were more expensive.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Aug 2021, 10:23 am

The la101s like SK SP also. Just as good as that.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 24 Aug 2021, 10:40 am

SK no longer produce anything for hunters, all their ammo is for target shooting. I have always found supply of SK sporadic and never found a shop that had a selection of their products. I have tried about 30 different 22 rounds in 6 different rifles and for consistency and low price CCI subsonic have always been a good performer for me with no group larger than 25mm @ 50m and that is certainly minute of rabbit. I'm not a target shooter but spend a lot of time at the range with my 22's and have found most available ammo shoots decently except for Winchester products especially their bulk ammo. My favourite round though is Eley subsonic HP as it is the most accurate field round I have found. It is about $40 more per brick than the CCI subs but is way more consistent and accurate than I expect from field ammo with groups averaging 10mm @ 50m.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2021, 2:32 pm

MtnMan wrote:Bloody typical! find something you like and guaranteed it will become obsolete.

Been looking at the new offerings. Does SK not make a 40gr hollow point now? Everything I see is 40gr round nose. These subs I have are 40gr HP. Bit confusing because The barn lists an SK subsonic but it's a lead round nose. The standard plus is also subsonic but I can't find out whether it's a LRN or HP.

SK overall shoots pretty good for me, not outstanding though. The High Velocity is the most accurate round in my Rugers of everything I've tried. It was already discontinued when I stumbled upon some boxes on a shelf. Standard Plus is technically subsonic, but the ES straddles the sound barrier in my 18" Rugers, about 20% of them crack the sound barrier. Probably be consistently subsonic in a shorter barrel or a very long barrel though.
These are the types I have, I never did find any of the Subsonic, and I haven't tried Pistol Match, when I ordered it they sent me Pistol Match Special again:
SK Standard Plus
SK Pistol Match Special
SK Long Range Match
SK Rifle Match
SK Flat Nose Match
SK Flat Nose Basic
SK Magazine
SK High Velocity
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 24 Aug 2021, 5:15 pm

Might try the Eley .22 subsonic HP.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 25 Aug 2021, 12:50 am

The Eley realy is good ammo. I just bought another brick today. The projectiles must be soft as they really open up and can do some damage.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2021, 4:13 am

Mattraff wrote:The Eley realy is good ammo. I just bought another brick today. The projectiles must be soft as they really open up and can do some damage.

Agreed, the only one that doesn't shoot all that great for me is the bulk Eley Standard, the rest are generally pretty good. Eley Edge is the best for me, also now discontinued, I have less than 3000rds of it left. But it may be the same as Eley Team. I've read that they "replaced" Eley Team with Edge about eight years ago, and have simply "replaced" Edge with Team again. It might be just rebranding the same ammo. I have some Team waiting for me for testing, when we get a break in the lockdown.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 28 Aug 2021, 9:16 pm

Bought 3 bricks of the Winchester power point high velocity 40gr HP's today. They shoot really good out of my gun. Also picked up 2 boxes of Eley subsonic hollow points to try along with a brick of the CCI quiet solids for giggles.
I hope the eley shoots as well as the SK subs.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 28 Aug 2021, 9:28 pm

The PowerPoint must be old ammo all that us-made s*** shoots like crap out of all our 22
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 6:29 am

out of all the high velocity stuff I've tried it shoots the best.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2021, 9:30 am

I think the reason the power points shoot better in some rifles is that they are slightly longer than your average 22LR round. If I use them in my 1710 They can be chambered but I can not eject a round that has not been shot. It is just jammed into the chamber. If I fire the round it will eject no problems. When I say it wont eject I mean I can not move the bolt backwards at all. This is like putting the bullet closer to the lands in most rifles in match chambers they jam into the lands. They shoot ok in my rifle but not as good as the SK rifle red and black box. Lucky I bought a case last year just after the first lockdown and got it at a good price before price rises.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 9:53 am

Here's what I shot this morning. I shot the last of the gold packet SK subsonic HP's I had just to confirm. you could not just head shoot rabbits but eye shoot them with this stuff!

The Eley subsonic HP grouped no better than most of the less expensive subsonic stuff I've tried. The remington sub HP and CCI segmented HP seem to be the pick of the rest I have tried. Though this morning I had one 5 shot mag of the remington subs that gave me 2x high velocity rounds and a miss fire that later fired on the second try. the 2x HV rounds hit 3" higher and sounded like a HV round. maybe a mix up at the factory???

IMG_8241.JPG
IMG_8241.JPG (11.98 KiB) Viewed 6990 times
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 10:02 am

winchester power points. I made a windage adjustment after this. good now.
IMG_8243.JPG
IMG_8243.JPG (14.48 KiB) Viewed 6989 times
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 10:05 am

that one box of SK sub HP's has ruined me. ;(
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 10:08 am

I only noticed this morning that out of the 3 bricks of Winchester I bought, 1 of them has 'super X' on the bottom of the cases and the other 2 bricks have a 'W'. both shoot the same.

Going to take stock and ponder the best option in a subsonic HP.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 10:33 am

just looked back through receipts. the CCI segmented HP subs is more expensive than the Eley.
Also from what I can gather the 40gr remington sub HP is no longer available. options are running out!
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2021, 10:34 am

Larry wrote:I think the reason the power points shoot better in some rifles is that they are slightly longer than your average 22LR round. If I use them in my 1710 They can be chambered but I can not eject a round that has not been shot. It is just jammed into the chamber. If I fire the round it will eject no problems. When I say it wont eject I mean I can not move the bolt backwards at all. This is like putting the bullet closer to the lands in most rifles in match chambers they jam into the lands. They shoot ok in my rifle but not as good as the SK rifle red and black box. Lucky I bought a case last year just after the first lockdown and got it at a good price before price rises.

That's extraction, not ejection, two different things.
Interesting are you referring to the 42gn bullet or the 40gn?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2021, 11:11 am

They are the 40gn I was referring to.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by MtnMan » 29 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

Been thinking.

Has anyone ever played around with making hollow points out of lead round noses?

If I found a subsonic LRN that equals the old SK HP's in accuracy then turn them into HP's for hunting.
It wouldn't be difficult to make a dummy chamber with a drill port on the end to form the HP. drill depth can be controlled by the amount of drill extended from the drill chuck.

this would open up a large window of potential sources of subsonic HP's
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2021, 3:13 pm

MtnMan wrote:Been thinking.

Has anyone ever played around with making hollow points out of lead round noses?

If I found a subsonic LRN that equals the old SK HP's in accuracy then turn them into HP's for hunting.
It wouldn't be difficult to make a dummy chamber with a drill port on the end to form the HP. drill depth can be controlled by the amount of drill extended from the drill chuck.

this would open up a large window of potential sources of subsonic HP's

I don't worry about hollow-points, round-nose bullets kill just fine when placed properly, I use CCI Std Velocity for foxes.
You can get or make a nose punch and die to punch a hole in the nose. You can also use it to punch up all your bullets to a consistent diameter. People have used Phillip's screwdriver bits to make HP .22LR for many years.
Whether modifying the bullet will affect the accuracy will come down to trial and error.
Personally, I find the most accurate round in the rifle, and use that for hunting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles