Budget .17hmr options

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Budget .17hmr options

Post by Lsfan » 17 Sep 2021, 8:21 pm

I know there will be advice to suggest staying away from 17hmr, but my purpose is for target shooting on the cheap. I have a 22 and a 223 and I want a good compromise on distance and ammo cost. I also want for something with a timber stock.
I'm a bit of a bargain hunter and so have narrowed my options down to the issc spa and the marlin varmint model. Both can be had for under $500 in a timber stock.
I spoke with a gun shop and the salesman said "of course go with the marlin, they are better"
The issc is a straight pull and some have reported reliability issues.
Does anyone have any advice? bearing in mind I'm not spending more than $500 and I don't want second hand.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Budget .17hmr options

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Sep 2021, 9:14 pm

I haven't had too many concerns with my marlin 917v it has had the occasional feeding issue that was rectified by bending the mag rail slightly. I have slayed many a fox, hare,rabbit,cat and a few larger items with a head shot with ease.

Accurate rifle will shoot better than me trigger isnt too bad either i have a spring kit for it somewhere but havent got round to fitting it.

Don't discount the 17hmr great little round for what it is not too expensive from the right gun shops.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 17 Sep 2021, 9:31 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I haven't had too many concerns with my marlin 917v it has had the occasional feeding issue that was rectified by bending the mag rail slightly. I have slayed many a fox, hare,rabbit,cat and a few larger items with a head shot with ease.

Accurate rifle will shoot better than me trigger isnt too bad either i have a spring kit for it somewhere but havent got round to fitting it.

Don't discount the 17hmr great little round for what it is not too expensive from the right gun shops.

Thanks for the feedback. That's reassuring. I've read many people complain about having to regularly clean them because accuracy drops off. Not sure if that's correct. As a consequence people go for 22mag but sounds like there is little difference in accuracy to a 22lr, hence my leaning towards the 17hmr.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 18 Sep 2021, 11:12 am

I am very much attached to my 17HMR. Use it for early morning and late evening shoots to distances of 150m. With little or no wind about, it is a very accurate cartridge.
Bit too expensive for jus plinking. For that, I just the old reliable 22.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 18 Sep 2021, 7:58 pm

Bugman wrote:I am very much attached to my 17HMR. Use it for early morning and late evening shoots to distances of 150m. With little or no wind about, it is a very accurate cartridge.
Bit too expensive for jus plinking. For that, I just the old reliable 22.

Yeah I guess the 22 is unbeatable for running costs, but I want a bit more range without getting too costly on ammo.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles