Chiappa Little Badger only fires 1 in 5 times

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Chiappa Little Badger only fires 1 in 5 times

Post by dreysi » 19 Sep 2021, 10:36 am

Just got my first 22 a Chiappa Little Badger in 22lr. Primer strikes are very very light and seem to be off centre from where the notch is. Some rounds won't shoot and some will but seem to be kinda "slow burn" or quieter than another rifle. At the moment it takes about 5 tries just to shoot one bullet.

Anyone know about this scenario? Contacted Shooter's Delight in Brissie and no answer on web form but got through on the phone. Could it have been dry fired in the shop a lot? Or another problem? I guess anyone here needs a look at it. Range officers at Belmont told me take it back it's a dud so shall do so. Anyone delt with *Shooter's Delight in Brissie?

Will post here what happens. I guess they have to fix and not replace as the PTA is linked to serial number right? Anyhow wish me luck.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210919-103144_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-103144_Gallery.jpg (506.46 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Last edited by dreysi on 19 Sep 2021, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Chiappa Little Badger only fires 1 in 5 times

Post by bigpete » 19 Sep 2021, 10:49 am

I'd never buy another chiappa after how bad my double badger was. I'd return it and get my money back if it were me.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dreysi » 19 Sep 2021, 11:12 am

Noted and appreciated thanks.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 19 Sep 2021, 11:57 am

Serial number aside, they should be able to replace it with a new one, they’ll update the paperwork. If they decide to be helpful that is of course.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 19 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm

Never heard of Safari in Brisbane. NSW definitely , but not brisbane.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 19 Sep 2021, 1:58 pm

deanp100 wrote:Never heard of Safari in Brisbane. NSW definitely , but not brisbane.

Thanks I'm a Drongo got the shop name wrong. Have fixed it.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 19 Sep 2021, 3:53 pm

I’ve only ever bought ammo and powder from Shooters delight, but the have a very good reputation and are a well respected shop.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 19 Sep 2021, 3:59 pm

Thanks good to know, should be all good. Appreciation for the information.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 20 Sep 2021, 6:17 am

Couple of things.

It is my understanding of the current Qld legislation that a firearm can be exchanged, "like for like", without the need for a PTA. Bolt action 22 repeater / bolt action 22 repeater, or, break action single shot 22 / break action single shot 22. That sort of thing. But NOT the likes of a Chiappa Little Badger for a CZ bolt action.

More importantly is the evidence in the photo you posted. That rifle has been dry-fired extensively , resulting in a monster crater at the edge of the chamber. Without additional photos, it appears that the round is not fully home in the chamber.

Might be hard to argue with the vendor though, because the damage was not observed at point of sale, at which point you could have rejected the rifle as being used (abused).
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 20 Sep 2021, 7:09 am

I;only just looked closely at the photo. Assuming that mark is where the firing pin is, that would need to be a lifetime of dry firing, not just a few times in a shop. Or it’s incredibly soft but that is definitely a fault.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 20 Sep 2021, 8:47 am

No1_49er wrote:More importantly is the evidence in the photo you posted. That rifle has been dry-fired extensively , resulting in a monster crater at the edge of the chamber. Without additional photos, it appears that the round is not fully home in the chamber.

Might be hard to argue with the vendor though, because the damage was not observed at point of sale, at which point you could have rejected the rifle as being used (abused).

That crater as you call it is how the rifle comes, it's a feature to protect the firing pin.

The issue it seems with the OP little badger is the firing pin seem out of alignment with the indent.

My firing pin lines up perfectly in the centre of the indent and I have never had a miss fire with any ammo.

Take it back to the dealer for a replacement.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 20 Sep 2021, 9:05 am

So just stepped outside to fire off a round in my little badger to give you a comparison picture.

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 20 Sep 2021, 9:36 am

dreysi wrote:Just got my first 22 a Chiappa Little Badger in 22lr. Primer strikes are very very light and seem to be off centre from where the notch is.

The mark on that brass is clearly not in the right place or shape and there's no marking on the chamber that would suggest that's getting hit so I'd suspect a defective or broken firing pin.

Are you able to get a close-up picture of the firing pin tip? It would be interesting to compare with somebody that has a working model.

I've seen intermittent firing on a rimfire with a firing pin that was broken in two so only worked when the front half happened to be aligned correctly, the rest of the time it wasn't protruding properly so made light or no strikes. Maybe a strip down and removal of the pin would be worthwhile if you can't warranty swap it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 20 Sep 2021, 10:01 am

OK, I'm not familiar with Chiappa. Don't own one and probably never will.
But, if that is a feature to protect the firing pin, why the heck is the pin aligned in such a way as to strike outside the area of the rim? And on a slant! The impact mark is not at 12o/c but about 12:30, almost 1o/c. Definitely not right.
Seems to be a firing-pin problem in that it cannot, for whatever reason, travel fully forward in its "race-way" or is being impeded by something such as fouling or machining "dags". Only a strip and close inspection will reveal.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 20 Sep 2021, 3:51 pm

Ended up taking it back to Shooters delight, telling them 4 types of ammo tested had the same sad result. The guy was great and said he'd give it to the supplier do just have to wait now.

Have inspected the firing pin but could not see that it was broken however,,, it wouod change angle so could be broken. I was very careful not to dry fire and instructed anyone who handled it no no no dry fire.

I'll hold my toungue until supplier gets back to the store. At the moment i own a brick, and would be frustrated having to hope and pray for every shot. Also some ammo just won't fire at all, this makes ke nervous because it still gets pounded a little. Anyway I'll just have to be patient.

Of note was that some "successful" times the rifle would fire it seemed some rounds sort of fizzled and sounded quieter than same ty0e of rounds fired from dad's 22.

I was not able to photograph the firing pin prior to handing it back.

Thanks to all those that commented.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by womble » 20 Sep 2021, 4:00 pm

Well solved Fionn
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by dreysi » 20 Sep 2021, 4:45 pm

Fionn wrote:So just stepped outside to fire off a round in my little badger to give you a comparison picture.

Very much appreciated thanks mate.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 14 Oct 2021, 6:12 pm

So just to close the case for anyone interested and for future reference. The supplier could not fix it so i have a brand new one. Shooter's delight and the supplier had the issue resolved within 2 weeks of me taking it in, good service.

Didn't ask the reason as they were super busy wjen i took it in and didn't want to bother (although the guy did ask if there was anything else). Thanks to those that contributed and helped out in this thread.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by boingk » 15 Oct 2021, 12:08 am

Good to hear mate, hope the new one is without issues.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles