Recommended Brands/Models ?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Recommended Brands/Models ?

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Sep 2021, 10:48 pm

Hi All,
Looking for some sort of consensus with regard to recommended brand/s for a .17 WSM

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Recommended Brands/Models ?

Post by Brad32 » 21 Sep 2021, 10:24 am

Once had a bmag,would not shoot better than 1.5moa.Now have a ruger 77 that shoots 1 MOA,and it's built so much better than the savage.
Brad32
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scoot » 21 Sep 2021, 1:26 pm

I looked into it when I was going to buy one. Very Limited options but ruger 77/17 would be my pick. I never bothered because no one in SA had one when I was keen so I guess my opinion is kinda moot.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 21 Sep 2021, 1:36 pm

Yes I think Ruger appears to be the mainstay for this calibre. I had a look some time back, but ended up with a Sako in 17HMR because the price was too good to refuse, at the time.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 21 Sep 2021, 1:46 pm

Ruger 77/17, I have had two of em, one shot Sub 0.5 moa 5 shots quiet easily my other one shot around 0.8moa. A pro shooter buddy of mine bought my better 17 WSM after testing it and I moved on my 2nd one after wanting a 17 Hornet. My Ruger 77/17 Hornet got rebarreled to 20 Hornet after I discovered a mate had a 20 Hornet reamer and a spare Maddco barrel.

The 17 WSM s**ts all over the 17 HMR in every way shape and manner. And so does the ammo QC.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 21 Sep 2021, 2:30 pm

Doesn't Winchester make ALL the ammo despite what labelling it has?????
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 21 Sep 2021, 2:41 pm

The problem, I see with the WSM is that there is bugger all in the way of ammunition. Whereas the HMR have various brands/configurations and there are hardly any decent choices of manufacturer of WSM rifles. It certainly is a hot performing little cartridge but if so, then why is not supported in any great detail within the firearms and ammunition industry? Maybe that will change, but the WSM was introduced in around 2013 ( I think) but since that time, there has not been a big following, as far I can see. Still those that want that calibre then go for it, life is too short.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm

DJ. Why the interest?

What your using kills dogs ok. Look dead to me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Sep 2021, 5:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:DJ. Why the interest?

What your using kills dogs ok. Look dead to me.

Shame on you for saying that.
Have you forgotten,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that a man can never have too many rifles.
I do already have an HMR .17 that I love,,,, but I hear mutterings about the WSM being on steroids.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Sep 2021, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. :thumbsup: :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 21 Sep 2021, 5:21 pm

The worst thing that could happen to this cartridge is it get popular because then it would be a very very expensive rifle to feed only reason why the ammo is the same price as 17 HMR it's because there's very little interest in it .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2021, 5:42 pm

Here we go with the second question,,,,,,,,,,,
Is this caliber likely to be a barrel burner,,,,,, a bit like the 22/250 ?? :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Sep 2021, 6:44 pm

I have read several reports on barrels fouling quickly but given its still such a small powder charge with relatively low pressures, I'd be willing to bet barrel life wouldn't be an issue with the HMR
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Sep 2021, 8:36 pm

I don't see any value to the WSM. One day you may not be able to find ammo, and what is resale value likely to be if you decide to offload it?
Go with HMR, or get a .17 Hornet and load your own, .17 is niche enough with factory ammo, at least loading your own gives it some versatility.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2021, 9:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:I don't see any value to the WSM. One day you may not be able to find ammo, and what is resale value likely to be if you decide to offload it?
Go with HMR, or get a .17 Hornet and load your own, .17 is niche enough with factory ammo, at least loading your own gives it some versatility.

Already got a CZ 453 in HMR :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 29 Oct 2021, 3:09 pm

D.J, probably Ruger is the go compared to the others...I don't see the point of having extra velocity if your rifle isn't accurate enough to put the bullet where you want it :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles