Scope for 22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Scope for 22LR

Post by shovtel » 12 Oct 2021, 12:32 pm

Ive just purchased a new Sako Finnfire 22LR.

Looking to put a scope on it.

I have a spare Meopta 4-12x50 thats just sitting there... but I have heard that its prob not the idea scope based on the parallex not being suitable for a rifle being sighted in at 50 to 75m.

Is this going to be a big issue or a small one or prob something i wont even be able to notice?

Whats the go to scope for general purpose tyoe usage? bit of hunting, plinking, range time etc...
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Scope for 22LR

Post by in2anity » 12 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm

Does it have an adjustable focus? If so, how close can you focus with it?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Oct 2021, 2:04 pm

Nikon 4x32
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2021, 2:31 pm

shovtel wrote:Ive just purchased a new Sako Finnfire 22LR.

Looking to put a scope on it.

I have a spare Meopta 4-12x50 thats just sitting there... but I have heard that its prob not the idea scope based on the parallex not being suitable for a rifle being sighted in at 50 to 75m.

Is this going to be a big issue or a small one or prob something i wont even be able to notice?

Whats the go to scope for general purpose tyoe usage? bit of hunting, plinking, range time etc...

No reason it shouldn't work just fine.
As long as you have a consistent cheek weld the parallax shouldn't be a major issue.
Every time you go shooting set the reticle on something and move your head around, if the parallax is off you will see the reticle float around the target. If it's set for the distance of your target the reticle will appear to be fixed on the target regardless of your eye position behind the scope. Basically, it means the target is not where the scope is telling you it is, similar to mirage.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 12 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm

I have a S&B 2.5 -10 x 56 on my Sako Finnfire. ( because it was what I had available) and have had no problems with parallax.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 12 Oct 2021, 5:04 pm

From what I've gathered, they can't make the scopes with the objective lens in the exact correct position for whatever range they want it set at, so they're adjusted during manufacture.

What this means is that you can either send it back and get them to adjust it for what I guess would be a fee, or you can play around with it and adjust it yourself. From what I've read, most have large ring that you can undo and then screw lens in or out a bit, but yours doesn't have that ring. I think there is a locking ring inside which you undo, then you screw the lens to where needed.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2021, 5:12 pm

disco stu wrote:From what I've gathered, they can't make the scopes with the objective lens in the exact correct position for whatever range they want it set at, so they're adjusted during manufacture.

What this means is that you can either send it back and get them to adjust it for what I guess would be a fee, or you can play around with it and adjust it yourself. From what I've read, most have large ring that you can undo and then screw lens in or out a bit, but yours doesn't have that ring. I think there is a locking ring inside which you undo, then you screw the lens to where needed.

As long as you don't allow any air to enter the scope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bman940 » 18 Oct 2021, 1:03 am

That scope will work just fine for your rifle. I do prefer parallax adjustment for my 22's since I often shoot from 22 meters to beyond 200 meters. Meopta's Optika5 scopes would serve your needs well if you choose to change things out later. For now, have a ball!
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by 9.3x64 » 18 Oct 2021, 6:20 am

Bugman wrote:I have a S&B 2.5 -10 x 56 on my Sako Finnfire. ( because it was what I had available) and have had no problems with parallax.

I use a Docter classic 6x42 that only weighs 360 grams and is very compact. I have never noticed any parallax issues, but I do wonder if I would notice any difference in group size at 50 metres with a Rimfire scope...
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aussie_Vic » 18 Oct 2021, 1:44 pm

Leupold vx freedom 3-9 or 4-12 maybe?
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 18 Oct 2021, 2:24 pm

9.3x64 wrote:
Bugman wrote:I have a S&B 2.5 -10 x 56 on my Sako Finnfire. ( because it was what I had available) and have had no problems with parallax.

I use a Docter classic 6x42 that only weighs 360 grams and is very compact. I have never noticed any parallax issues, but I do wonder if I would notice any difference in group size at 50 metres with a Rimfire scope...

I had a 6 x42 S&B. Sold it.........DOH!!!!!!!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 28 Oct 2021, 7:03 am

Don’t know if you have sorted this yet, but anyway:

I would not put a 50m minimum parallax scope on a 22LR. It won’t work out. You may not notice an inconsistent cheek weld at low magnification and it will affect your point of impact if you shoot at 25m.

I tested it out when I was selling a 50m parallax scope I had on a centerfire, when I upgraded and was selling it, as my club has ranges down to 25, so was wondering if I could sell it within the club: it was crap.

If you look at the focus knob rotation from 25 to 50, it’s almost the same as from 50 to infinity. Don’t do it. It will be out of focus as well as the wrong parallax.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 14 Dec 2021, 8:05 pm

I have just put one of the new V4 4-16x44 on my R8 Rimfire. Parallax adjustable down to 10m, illuminated reticule , and very clear sight picture. Reasonably compact. $1115, which is pretty reasonable I reckon.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 14 Dec 2021, 8:20 pm

You don't need a high magnification scopes on a .22. Hunting ranges with a .22 are relatively short.

If you want to watch the fleas on a bunny then go with a 12x or more, but to shoot it you only need 6x
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles