Scope of iron sights?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Scope of iron sights?

Post by Ruin » 16 Oct 2021, 7:26 am

Hi, Getting back into the sport after a long hiatus. About to get a 22LR, to be used primarily for target shooting practise for the near future anyway, while I work on the skills. Is it worth getting a scope for this application or working with the iron sights while I get the hang of it again. Im interested in your thoughts. Thanks
Ruin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scope of iron sights?

Post by bigpete » 16 Oct 2021, 8:37 am

I think everyone should learn on iron sights,even if they intend to scope the rifle after anyway
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Oct 2021, 8:45 am

If you are fighting to see clearly, then a scope is a terrific luxury. However, at rimfire distances, you might want to get something with a parallax adjustment. FWIW, that is what I am doing.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 16 Oct 2021, 10:38 am

Like many answers to many questions it depends.....
If you are considerably younger than your mid 40's and don't require glasses for normal activities then I would encourage you to develop proficiency with iron sights. It is good training and when you become proficient you will enjoy the benefits of the fastest possible target acquisition.
The skills you develop will be beneficial when you do go to a scope.

Try doing something like this with a scoped 22.
Attachments
Toepperwein.jpg
Toepperwein.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 16 Oct 2021, 4:11 pm

Ruin, if you can see yourself getting into Target Rifle (aka fullbore aka palma), Service Rifle, or Smallbore (22lr target rifle), or any other competition that involves shooting off the elbows, with the aid of a stabilising sling, then there is no escaping mastering ye olde iron sights. It requires much practise and experience to master, but is an addictive challenge once you start being graded. The best TR shooters are grouping into 1moa at all distances out to 1km - now there's a truely phenominal achievement.

If you think you'll take the simpler route and join the F-brigade (which puts more of a demand on precision ammo and equipment) then masterning the irons will be of little benefit to you.

Both routes demand a mastering of "reading the wind", which takes a lot of time and experience on the range, under all conditions.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 16 Oct 2021, 5:33 pm

I’m a big fan of iron sights. Check out what theses fellas are doing with iron sights and there’s not a scope to be seen...https://youtu.be/1xF9jzykpoM
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

Thank you Very Much for that link, Noisydad :thumbsup: :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bello » 17 Oct 2021, 7:39 am

Hi Mate

As your average Joe just wanting to do a bit of plinking and maybe later a spot of hunting....go a scope.
Buy a good quality scope with appropriate magnification and you will be happy.
Leupold make some nice scopes that are reasonably priced.
Check out the second hand scopes on Used guns, SSAA firearm sales etc web sites.
Happy plinking :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 18 Oct 2021, 2:24 am

Get one with iron sights and shoot it if you find you want a scope on it later most models are rather easy to install one
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Biscuits » 28 Oct 2021, 7:07 am

Depends what you want to shoot at. If it is shooting standing up at turning targets, I like iron sights. Everything else, I like scopes.

Make sure you get one with parallax down to the shortest distance you will shoot at. And if there is any chance you will shoot past 200m, put it on a sloped rail or use the Burris rings that give you more elevation.

Obv, the next question is which scope and which reticle :)
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles