Attaching atlas bipod to LA 101

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Attaching atlas bipod to LA 101

Post by Pitdog85 » 25 Oct 2021, 1:47 pm

Guys looking for some help on a picatinny rail for the forend of my LA 101 which i will be getting in a few weeks. I already have an atlas bipod on my centrefire with the quick detach. I dont want to drill into the stock so am looking at the options that secure a picatinny rail with the single swivel stud that comes with the LA 101. I know caldwell make one just wondering if anyone else can recommend other models that will fit to the stock and enable use of the atlas with quick detach.

Can someone confirm if the forend of the LA 101 with laminate stock is flat or is it slighlty rounded ?
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Attaching atlas bipod to LA 101

Post by allan » 25 Oct 2021, 7:04 pm

This may give you some idea...My laminated stock has a similiar profile.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Pitdog85 » 25 Oct 2021, 7:30 pm

Thanks mate so it looks like it’s flat along the centre and then angles off slightly?

Maybe I will just have to go with the same fitting I use on my centrefire the atlas B17 picatinny rail. I guess I could use a wood screw to screw the second part in. I’m hesitant to install the t nut method that requires using a spade bit on a brand new stock I don’t have a drill press and this job could easily fail but if I have to I guess I will.
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Oct 2021, 7:35 pm

Pitdog85 wrote:Thanks mate so it looks like it’s flat along the centre and then angles off slightly?

Maybe I will just have to go with the same fitting I use on my centrefire the atlas B17 picatinny rail. I guess I could use a wood screw to screw the second part in. I’m hesitant to install the t nut method that requires using a spade bit on a brand new stock I don’t have a drill press and this job could easily fail but if I have to I guess I will.

You could unscrew the swivel, lay a short rail on double-sided tape, and put the swivel (or a replacement screw/bolt) back in to secure it
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 25 Oct 2021, 9:00 pm

Yeh I’m thinking more and more I should just do the t nut method and take the risk.

Has anyone installed the t nut and B17 rail on a LA101 stock ? Is the stock thick enough? Anything to be aware of when using a spade bit on a laminate stock ?
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by womble » 26 Oct 2021, 2:59 am

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by allan » 26 Oct 2021, 11:56 am

Pitdog85 wrote: Is the stock thick enough? Anything to be aware of when using a spade bit on a laminate stock ?

LA101 barrel channel inlets look like this:
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Pitdog85 » 26 Oct 2021, 1:28 pm

Thanks allan hard to tell from the pic are you familiar with the BT 15/17 rails for atlas bipods? Do you think i could install a t nut on that stock?
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by allan » 26 Oct 2021, 2:52 pm

Sorry mate - I've been around guns for over 60 years but never fired a shot using a bipod!!!! You'll have to get the young fellows to comment on that one. I can tell you that I replaced that wood stock with one of Hatchers LA101 tactical stocks - There is plenty of material in that design to fit any type of rail/bipod set up.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Downunder » 27 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

Alan’s pic shows below the barrel inlet an inlet for the action screw to the rear and a weight inlet to the front.

All my rifles are through drilled as soon as I get them for either a nutted swivel or nutted rail.

If possible I fit a piece of 3mm aluminium plate the width of the inlet by a couple of inches long to spread the load (especially on stock that have had the inlet milled deep leaving only a thin amount of holding material.

If the stock has no inlet below the barrel I either mill one in or over bore a recessed hole so a washer and nut can recess below the barrel on the end of a swivel or screw/bolt.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 28 Oct 2021, 9:05 am

Downunder wrote:Alan’s pic shows below the barrel inlet an inlet for the action screw to the rear and a weight inlet to the front.

All my rifles are through drilled as soon as I get them for either a nutted swivel or nutted rail.

If possible I fit a piece of 3mm aluminium plate the width of the inlet by a couple of inches long to spread the load (especially on stock that have had the inlet milled deep leaving only a thin amount of holding material.

If the stock has no inlet below the barrel I either mill one in or over bore a recessed hole so a washer and nut can recess below the barrel on the end of a swivel or screw/bolt.

Thanks mate yeh its all a bit hard to make decisions about this when i dont have the stock in my hands to see for myself. Was hoping to have all the parts ordered so i could get everything done as soon as it arrives. Think it will be safer to wait for it to arrive and pull it apart to see what im working with.

At this stage it looks like the stock is slightly rounded so I will most likely be ordering the ATLAS B15 rail and installing it with the T nut as per atlas video.
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2021, 11:41 am

Pitdog85 wrote:At this stage it looks like the stock is slightly rounded so I will most likely be ordering the ATLAS B15 rail and installing it with the T nut as per atlas video.

You could also try some adhesive velcro before making any permanent mods to ensure you want to do it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2021, 11:45 am

allan wrote:Sorry mate - I've been around guns for over 60 years but never fired a shot using a bipod!!!! You'll have to get the young fellows to comment on that one. I can tell you that I replaced that wood stock with one of Hatchers LA101 tactical stocks - There is plenty of material in that design to fit any type of rail/bipod set up.

You should at least try a bipod, just so you know what they're about :-)

Really not a necessity on most rifles, but can be very handy when varminting. Get a variety as you'll want different types for different situations, like when grasses are higher. Really, I find the bipod most handy when I'm not actually shooting, more when working on a rifle, or climbing through a fence without having to lay the rifle in the muddy grass, those sorts of things.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles