Winchester 9422 issues.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Winchester 9422 issues.

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 4:21 pm

I'm not going to be able to get a William's peep sight anytime soon, so I swapped it across from the Norinco. The odd width of the Henry Dovetail makes the sight biased to the left side as the sight element is centred over a 3/8" dovetail - the Henry seems to be significantly wider, though I haven't bothered measuring it yet.
11162021155328.jpg
11162021155328.jpg (329.52 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

11162021155252.jpg
11162021155252.jpg (551.34 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

11162021155350.jpg
11162021155350.jpg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

The diopter effect instantly improved the sharpness of the front sight, though it is still a little "furry". I went out and zeroed it with Eley Standard at 50m. The aiming marks are smaller than I prefer at 50m, but the first group was about 50mm left and 100mm high.
11162021171115.jpg
11162021171115.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

As the rear sight graduations are dependent on the sight radius of the rifle I have no idea what the clicks might equate to, but I increased the aiming point to three thicknesses of insulation tape, and dialed the knobs to get it pretty close, while allowing about 15mm of wind from the right. The elevation bottomed out early, 50mm high at 50m, very annoying as it throws out my holds.
1116202117730.jpg
1116202117730.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

So I fired a last group at 40m offhand to confirm and it's 50mm high there as well.
11162021165527.jpg
11162021165527.jpg (65.11 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

I guess it'll be close to a 75m zero.
The Henry front sight is cast plastic so I'll have to think about how I can increase the height. I also need to narrow it, but it can be difficult to keep a sharp edge when filing plastic. The simplest might be to drill and tap a screw into the plastic ramp.
Last edited by bladeracer on 16 Dec 2021, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 5:01 pm

Then I went up to see what my holds are on the silhouettes. I did a lot of walking down to inspect and photograph the targets during the session to try to work out my holds.
I started at 50m on a pig, holding along the bottom of its tummy.
11162021172626.jpg
11162021172626.jpg (547.09 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Eight hits wasn't too bad, but I had to come up about 50mm.
1116202117280.jpg
1116202117280.jpg (652.51 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Ten hits and I'm pretty close I think, though my hold on the right-facing pig is a little too far to the right.
The fat front sight is still a little blurry making a fine hold difficult, but the bullets are going roughly where I want them.
Up to 40m on the chickens, trying to hold just below the foot. Six good hits and still biased right.
1116202116321.jpg
1116202116321.jpg (459.08 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Second chicken was five hits and the group is low right. So far it's not looking too bad.
111620211656.jpg
111620211656.jpg (473.97 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Out to 77m for the turkeys. I decided to try my reading glasses here, as they do slightly sharpen the front sight. But they don't sit where I'm looking through the lens when sighting a rifle unless I press them hard against my face. I found the glasses pushed my point of impact about five-minutes to the right, which is less than helpful :-) I would have to get prescription shooting glasses made if I want to shoot with them. I think I was taking a dead-on hold, but the group is low, and well to the right. Only three hits on each.
11162021173014.jpg
11162021173014.jpg (691.05 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

I didn't bring my hold up far enough, but my bullets were so far to the right that it didn't matter.
11162021173052.jpg
11162021173052.jpg (679.7 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Back to 100m on the rams figuring on holding on the back or level with the horn.
11162021173531.jpg
11162021173531.jpg (577.23 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

Four hits, but the group was a good 100mm too low.
11162021161248.jpg
11162021161248.jpg (744.51 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

I came up to a random point above the silhouette and got five hits. Group placement is a little too high though so I need to work out how to find a consistent holdover on these, or make a taller front sight.
All in all an enjoyable 150rds downrange :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 16 Dec 2021, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Dec 2021, 7:06 pm

Thank you for this very interesting report, bladeracer.
As for the clarity of the foresight, you could have a lens made to fit a frame. I forget the name of the company (sorry, I seem to be doing a lot of that :oops: ) that makes them. With one of those lenses made to suit the distance to the foresight, as well as a correction for any distortion in the curvature of your eye-lens (I forget the name of that too :oops: :oops: ), you should be able to see very clearly. Or you could widen the foresight by daubing it with epoxy and filing to suit. Or you could do both.
I went the latter course with my Mossberg 464 and a Skinner peep.
Whichever way you go, Good Luck :thumbsup: :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 8:31 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Thank you for this very interesting report, bladeracer.
As for the clarity of the foresight, you could have a lens made to fit a frame. I forget the name of the company (sorry, I seem to be doing a lot of that :oops: ) that makes them. With one of those lenses made to suit the distance to the foresight, as well as a correction for any distortion in the curvature of your eye-lens (I forget the name of that too :oops: :oops: ), you should be able to see very clearly. Or you could widen the foresight by daubing it with epoxy and filing to suit. Or you could do both.

I am considering having shooting glasses made as my optometrist is a shooter and has offered to do this for me. But I don't normally wear glasses so they would become one of those things I forget to take out with me when I feel like doing some shooting, I don't even wear sunglasses.

I need to narrow the front sight, but the epoxy is a great idea, file the sight blade under-size, epoxy it, and file it to the size and shape i want, that should give me sharp edges.

But I think I'll try making a post out of a screw first as it's very easy to do, and easily adjustable. I have a pack of various AR15 front sight posts I could use as well, if I have a tap that suits. It includes square and blade posts as well as different thickness standard round posts.

The trigger is more of an issue than the sights at this point though. I even had a shot today where I'd decided I didn't have a sight picture so I was about to back off and try again, when the trigger broke. It really is horrendous :-)

I need to measure the trigger and hammer and make a simple jig to hold them in their correct alignment, then I can stone the surfaces to be dead square with each other in both planes, hopefully.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Dec 2021, 9:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Thank you for this very interesting report, bladeracer.

I am considering having shooting glasses made as my optometrist is a shooter and has offered to do this for me. But I don't normally wear glasses so they would become one of those things I forget to take out with me when I feel like doing some shooting, I don't even wear sunglasses.

I need to narrow the front sight, but the epoxy is a great idea, file the sight blade under-size, epoxy it, and file it to the size and shape i want, that should give me sharp edges.

But I think I'll try making a post out of a screw first as it's very easy to do, and easily adjustable. I have a pack of various AR15 front sight posts I could use as well, if I have a tap that suits. It includes square and blade posts as well as different thickness standard round posts.

The trigger is more of an issue than the sights at this point though. I even had a shot today where I'd decided I didn't have a sight picture so I was about to back off and try again, when the trigger broke. It really is horrendous :-)

I need to measure the trigger and hammer and make a simple jig to hold them in their correct alignment, then I can stone the surfaces to be dead square with each other in both planes, hopefully.

That last para especially, sounds very interesting. I would love to be able to tinker with the trigger of my 464 but I can't even get the blasted thing out :cry:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 1:17 pm

I've stripped the Henry down for cleaning, but haven't stripped the trigger group yet. I'd rather have spares on hand before doing any work to them, but I've heard Henry parts are not readily available. I haven't tried actually ordering anything. I want to go through the H001 models to see if any might offer a taller front sight though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 2:55 pm

I learned some stuff :-)
The Henry front sight is not plastic. It looks and feels like plastic, but is too heavy. I'm guessing it's cast pot-metal but it could be aluminium. It's indexed by a screw threaded into a hole in the top of the barrel, unfortunately not the same thread as AR15 sight inserts, that would've been too easy :-)

So I need to find out or measure the thread pitch of that screw/hole, then get a screw that fits it and file that down to the required height and profile. Should be easy enough.

The trigger/hammer engagement is not visible so I'll have to remove them for inspection, but I should be able to mount them on the pins on the side of the receiver to work on them.

Trigger weight is 3.2-3.9lb. For comparison, the Jw21 is 4.5-4.7lb and the RPR is 5.5lb. The gauge is in ounces but I don't know what they are so I'm just rounding to a tenth.

Moving hay now that it's cooled down (the gravel drive was 60C earlier) but I should get a look at it over the weekend.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Dec 2021, 6:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:The trigger/hammer engagement is not visible so I'll have to remove them for inspection, but I should be able to mount them on the pins on the side of the receiver to work on them.

Clever :clap:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 7:10 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The trigger/hammer engagement is not visible so I'll have to remove them for inspection, but I should be able to mount them on the pins on the side of the receiver to work on them.

Clever :clap:

The sides of the receiver are quite flat so I think it'll work. Otherwise I'd drill one of the holes (trigger or hammer pivot pins) in a piece of aluminium plate, lay the receiver on it with that pin through the hole, then use a transfer punch to mark the second hole for drilling. Then put both pins in the plate and drop the trigger and hammer on top. Then bore a large hole through under the engagement surfaces so you can see and work on them. Set them in position, then clamp one component to the plate and use a stone with a 90-degree edge to dress the surfaces perfectly square to the plate.

It's very, very easy to take off too much so it's a lot of gently touching it up, reassembling the rifle, testing the feel, dressing it a little more, and so on.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 7:12 pm

This website even lists the front sight as plastic.
https://www.hogislandgunparts.com/Henry ... 53-7-8.htm
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2021, 2:48 pm

I emailed Henry in the US yesterday and asked if they could tell me the specs of the sight screw.
Two-hours later they let me know it's a #5-44, awesome customer support!
So I've ordered some screws to make a few different profiles of sight blade/post.

With the sights sorted, I just need to improve the trigger and I might have a rifle that rivals the JW21 :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 21 Dec 2021, 7:26 am

Are you guys allowed night vision and thermals over there?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2021, 10:06 am

northdude wrote:Are you guys allowed night vision and thermals over there?

Yep, both. Most states don't allow them for hunting deer.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles