Winchester bolt action .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Winchester bolt action .22

Post by Shootermick » 13 Dec 2021, 9:34 pm

When and why did Winchester stop making bolt action .22’s?
Anyone know?
I know the company has changed hands numerous times, and builds firearms offshore, but why drop one of the most common and popular types of rifles around??
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Winchester bolt action .22

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2021, 9:51 pm

Shootermick wrote:When and why did Winchester stop making bolt action .22’s?
Anyone know?
I know the company has changed hands numerous times, and builds firearms offshore, but why drop one of the most common and popular types of rifles around??

The Model 70 to me always seemed out-dated, like a 100-year-old design, but without the history that comes with a genuine old rifle. They never struck me as modern at all, and had zero appeal to me. I had a semi-auto Model 190 .22LR that was a very good rifle, except it had a tube magazine, and I have a 1981 Model 94 currently so I don't have anything against Winchester generally. Some of their old bolt-action rimfires were hugely successful and made under licence by other companies. I don't think anybody ever made the Model 70 under licence.

Winchester stopped making all firearms in '06, since then they've been made by other companies owned by Herstal using the Winchester name.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Winchester bolt action .22

Post by northdude » 14 Dec 2021, 10:00 am

Theres a lot of competition in the 22 ba market i think. The last bolt action win 22 i saw was actually a rebadged zastava..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles