CCI Stingers

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CCI Stingers

Post by Pitdog85 » 16 Dec 2021, 12:40 pm

Hey all as I understand it these are not to be used in a “match” chamber due to the longer case which engages into the lead rifling and can damage it.

I have a LA101 the only reference I’ve heard about the La 101 is Aussie reviews about 7 years ago when he reviewed it he said they have a “semi match” chamber!!! Are cci stingers ok to use in the 101 chamber or do the cases get crimped into the rifling ?
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: CCI Stingers

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2021, 2:26 pm

Probably but I have no idea why you would want to use them the far superior round is the velocitor.
My experience in a lot of rimfires cci stingers are just a quicker way to miss only ever saw one rifle that would group them under 3 inches at 50 yards
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 3:30 pm

Pitdog85 wrote:Hey all as I understand it these are not to be used in a “match” chamber due to the longer case which engages into the lead rifling and can damage it.

I have a LA101 the only reference I’ve heard about the La 101 is Aussie reviews about 7 years ago when he reviewed it he said they have a “semi match” chamber!!! Are cci stingers ok to use in the 101 chamber or do the cases get crimped into the rifling ?

I don't know what a semi-match chamber might be. Try chambering a Stinger then extract it and examine the bullet for rifling marks, if there are none then it's very unlikely there'll be any contact with the case mouth when it opens.

Stingers shoot reasonably well for me in most things to 70m, then accuracy falls apart. The tiny bullet dumps velocity very rapidly. At 50m the 1640fps 21gn Stinger is doing only about 50fps more than the 1435fps 40gn Velocitor, and the Velocitor is probably more accurate. At 70m their Velocities are virtually the same but one bullet is twice the weight.

Try the Velocitor or the Mini-Mag if you want a high-velocity load. I just use whatever is most accurate in the rifle for hunting. CCI Standard Velocity drops foxes just fine, and I'm confident it'll hit within about 10mm of my aim point at 50m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 3:35 pm

deye243 wrote:Probably but I have no idea why you would want to use them the far superior round is the velocitor.
My experience in a lot of rimfires cci stingers are just a quicker way to miss only ever saw one rifle that would group them under 3 inches at 50 yards

My rifles group Stingers far better than 6MoA at 50yd, closer to half that. But there are a lot of choices that group under one-inch (2MoA), and it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that groups half-inch. Stingers are excellent at very close ranges, under about 40m, as they do hit very hard, but they lose velocity and accuracy too quickly for longer ranges - in my experience.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 16 Dec 2021, 7:40 pm

Thanks guys was looking at the Stingers as they are the fastest 22 bullet I could find and probably the flattest shooting. Maybe the velocitor might be the go. I was hoping to use cci quiet but having major cold bore issues with shots going way low, cci standard also shoots lower cold bore about an inch at 50m compared to the rest of the group. So with this line of thinking it seems the faster the bullet the less difference there is between cold bore drop and the rest of the group
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 8:48 pm

Pitdog85 wrote:Thanks guys was looking at the Stingers as they are the fastest 22 bullet I could find and probably the flattest shooting. Maybe the velocitor might be the go. I was hoping to use cci quiet but having major cold bore issues with shots going way low, cci standard also shoots lower cold bore about an inch at 50m compared to the rest of the group. So with this line of thinking it seems the faster the bullet the less difference there is between cold bore drop and the rest of the group

They're only flat-shooting at close range, the bullet is too light to maintain velocity.
CCI-Copper is 1850fps, but loses accuracy and velocity even faster than the Stinger, and the bullet is very, very hard, offering zero deformation.

As for cold bore issues, I haven't found that with any of my rifles. Are you perhaps cleaning the bore after every session? A clean bore is more likely to cause this issue in my experience than a cold bore. I don't clean my bores until accuracy starts to degrade, then I patch through with solvent, and fire some groups to ensure the bore is settled in again.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 17 Dec 2021, 5:59 am

Hi blade I don’t know if I would call it cleaning but after shooting I run a bore snake through the rifle. When I get home I spray in the barrel with G96 and the run a patch through with G96 to make sure the bore is well oiled. I do this for rust reasons as I live in coastal North Queensland where the humidity is out of control and things rust straight away.

I don’t know if I consider that cleaning more rust preventative. When I do an actual clean I use C4. Boretech and hoppes and use nylon brushes etc.
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 9:14 am

Pitdog85 wrote:Hi blade I don’t know if I would call it cleaning but after shooting I run a bore snake through the rifle. When I get home I spray in the barrel with G96 and the run a patch through with G96 to make sure the bore is well oiled. I do this for rust reasons as I live in coastal North Queensland where the humidity is out of control and things rust straight away.

I don’t know if I consider that cleaning more rust preventative. When I do an actual clean I use C4. Boretech and hoppes and use nylon brushes etc.

That is cleaning on a .22LR, you don't need to scrub it as most of the fouling is just wax lube, which also protects the bore. I don't run anything through the bore until somewhere around the 1200-2000rd mark, depending on each rifle and the ammo I'm using. When accuracy starts to falter I spray solvent through the bore, give it a few minutes, patch through until clean, fire a few rounds to settle it, then put it in the safe ready for use. If you're going to leave it in the safe for a while then you might want to oil the bore, but you're likely to find you have that point of impact issue with your first shots until you get the bore coated with bullet lube again. I clean and lube the action more regularly, and rub oil over all external surfaces very frequently, my rifles are generally noticeably oily when you pick one up.

I'm in Central Gippsland, we don't have your humidity but we have plenty of wetness and everything rusts very quickly, but I haven't had any issues with any of my rifles. My WW2 Arisaka grows mould on the wood despite everything I've tried, but it's never passed it on to anybody else :-)

For range use I would just shoot some sighting groups before shooting groups for score or analysis it helps settle the shooter into it as well.
Last edited by bladeracer on 17 Dec 2021, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 9:27 am

Unless you're spotlighting, don't get hung up on flat-shooting. Just use the most accurate ammo in the rifle and learn to judge distances so you can allow for the trajectory. You should have no difficulty hitting what you're aiming at.

If you are spotlighting then flat-shooting is more important, it can be very difficult to tell if the fox is 50m away, or 150m away in the dark. But with a .22LR you're pretty well limited to about 60m though, close enough to be able to see whatever terrain is around in the light anywsy. Spend time learning the terrain in daylight so you have a better idea of the ranges at night - and learning which directions are safe to shoot in. Fence lines can be a huge help, our fence posts are at five-meter centers for example. Patrolling the fence lines gives me cover while also helping me judge distances. I don't shoot at night though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 17 Dec 2021, 12:50 pm

Hey mate thanks for your advice your very helpful? So you reccomend not putting any G96 or anything through it just maybe bore snake and then put in safe ?
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 1:12 pm

Pitdog85 wrote:Hey mate thanks for your advice your very helpful? So you reccomend not putting any G96 or anything through it just maybe bore snake and then put in safe ?

I try to be helpful, but I can only offer advice from my own experience, other people have far more experience than I do, and their advice is equally valuable. When it comes to cleaning barrels there is no precise method that we all use. It's a matter of trying different techniques until you find what works best for you. Even manufacturers of firearms and barrels don't offer the same cleaning regimen.

I wouldn't put a bore snake through any rifle barrel, ever, use a one-piece rod.

But I prefer to leave the protective coating of bullet lube on the bore undamaged. If you start messing with the fouling it's better to clean it out completely and start from scratch. I don't think anything is gained by partially cleaning it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles