lithgow la101 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

lithgow la101 22lr

Post by simonbutterworth » 30 Dec 2021, 9:21 pm

hi just bought lithgow la 101 22lr having owned 7 22 lr rifles before decided to by a lithgow ,rifle is lovely tried various ammo found eley sport and club posting under an inch at 50 mtrs from a bench supported by a harris bypod and myself .will try some sk match and lapua centre x as this may shoot as well
simonbutterworth
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Re: lithgow la101 22lr

Post by MtnMan » 05 Jan 2022, 7:20 pm

found SK pistol match special to shoot the best in mine. It'll put 5 shots touching each other at 50m. Winchester super suppressed is great in it too for a cheaper sub option. Winchester 40gr HP powerpoints shoot the best of the high velocity stuff I've tried.

The lighter trigger spring is worth it!
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 05 Jan 2022, 8:33 pm

Get onto some SK Long Range match, it shoots a tiny bit better than Rifle match in my La101 and is much better in wind.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Jan 2022, 6:11 am

The Eley HV 38gn shoots like a champion out of my dads LA101.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 06 Jan 2022, 9:49 am

The Winchester 40gr HP powerpoints shoot well in my Annie as well but I can not eject a unfired round. I think they shoot well as they are jamming the round into the lands
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by alucarD » 06 Jan 2022, 1:37 pm

Hi all. Has anyone had problems with extraction issues after a round is fired with any .22lr ammo in you’re 101’s?
Regards
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2022, 3:30 pm

Larry wrote:The Winchester 40gr HP powerpoints shoot well in my Annie as well but I can not eject a unfired round. I think they shoot well as they are jamming the round into the lands

My brother's Annie ejects fine, but won't extract virtually any Eley ammo or fired brass, it all gets stuck in the chamber. All other brands I tried worked fine so I figure it must be related to the very thin rims of Eley ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 06 Jan 2022, 4:38 pm

The Eley 38gr HV was below average in mine. Other cheaper ammo shot better.
You'll just have to try a bunch of different ammo and then buy a lifetime supply of what it likes.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 06 Jan 2022, 5:11 pm

simonbutterworth wrote:hi just bought lithgow la 101 22lr having owned 7 22 lr rifles before decided to by a lithgow ,rifle is lovely tried various ammo found eley sport and club posting under an inch at 50 mtrs from a bench supported by a harris bypod and myself .will try some sk match and lapua centre x as this may shoot as well

Check your take down screw torque settings. Have a look on the Facebook page of the Lithgow Firearm Owners Club. Many 101 owners are posting photos of very very tight groups. Many one ragged hole. With respect, I think there is much more left in your rifle. - Check those take down screws please. Twice I have had Lithgows arrive from the factory with loose screws.

Hope this helps rather than annoy you.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by alucarD » 06 Jan 2022, 6:26 pm

So in mine from first shoot SK match (red) and ELE high velocity we’re getting stuck in chamber after fired. Sent rifle back to Lithgow and the replaced everything in the bolt and said it fired and extracted sweet. Thoughts?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2022, 6:46 pm

alucarD wrote:So in mine from first shoot SK match (red) and ELE high velocity we’re getting stuck in chamber after fired. Sent rifle back to Lithgow and the replaced everything in the bolt and said it fired and extracted sweet. Thoughts?

Does it extract fine now they replaced the components?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 06 Jan 2022, 8:49 pm

Just recently had extraction trouble with SK pistol match special. Would not extract unfired or fired. Took a dremel to the breech face and made a dimple where the extractor claw hits the breech face. The angled breech face was pushing the extractor claw away from the case rim. This helped some. I lubed the cases with case lube and problem was gone.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by alucarD » 07 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm

Hitting the range soon. I’ll let yas know how it goes!
Mtnman- what is a dremel? Also case lube??
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 07 Jan 2022, 5:41 pm

Hitting the range soon. I’ll let yas know how it goes!
So the case lube help with extraction of the fired round im assuming mate?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm

alucarD wrote:Hitting the range soon. I’ll let yas know how it goes!
Mtnman- what is a dremel? Also case lube??

Dremel is a brand name for a die-grinder, a very high rpm precision grinder, similar to what dentists use.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by simonbutterworth » 08 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm

hi thanks for all the advice will definetly try sk got some cci minimags plus winchester subsonics down on the range soon at bisley 50 yrds looking forward to it
simonbutterworth
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by alucarD » 09 Jan 2022, 10:58 am

So I put 250 rounds down range and only 1 round got stuck after fired (1x Lupa centre x)
Norma std, CCI std, Lupa centre x, SK yellow and Fedral HV.. I’d say the extraction problem is solved!
Norma & Lupa was the best groups.
SK yellow was also very tight!
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hendrik » 09 Jan 2022, 1:03 pm

I purchased my Lithgow LA101 22lr last year and have had some extraction failures with the Winchester Super X ammo.
Approximately 1 in 20 getting stuck in the chamber and then the frustration of feeding the next round onto a stuck cartridge case.
I'm also not overly happy with the accuracy, 2" grouping at 50m from a bench and bi-pod and the occasional flier.
What ammo should I try and should I return the rifle to have the extractor checked.
Hendrik
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm

Hendrik wrote:I purchased my Lithgow LA101 22lr last year and have had some extraction failures with the Winchester Super X ammo.
Approximately 1 in 20 getting stuck in the chamber and then the frustration of feeding the next round onto a stuck cartridge case.
I'm also not overly happy with the accuracy, 2" grouping at 50m from a bench and bi-pod and the occasional flier.
What ammo should I try and should I return the rifle to have the extractor checked.

I wouldn't do anything until you try some different types of ammo. Winchester doesn't shoot well for me in anything. The 42gn SubMax is a decent one if you have to use Winchester, but try CCI Standard Velocity and Velocitor, and some Eley Subsonic and Match. Federal F510 generally shoots fairly well, along with SK Rifle Match. Try as much variety as you can find and you should find something able to group around 15mm at 50m.

Make sure the extractor and spring are clean, as well as the extractor groove in the breech face, and the chamber itself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 09 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm

Try every ammo you can get your hands on. Find what works then buy a lifetime supply of it.

I tried probably over a dozen different types of ammo. some shot worse than 2" at 50m.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by alucarD » 10 Jan 2022, 4:09 pm

Does anyones 101 like Norma standards? Mine absolutely loves it! 1/2” groups at 50m!
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2022, 5:10 pm

alucarD wrote:Does anyones 101 like Norma standards? Mine absolutely loves it! 1/2” groups at 50m!

The only Norma I've found is the Training 2, nothing else. I can't find a listing for Norma Standard anywhere and all of their ammo is "standard velocity".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 11 Jan 2022, 6:25 am

51009F4F-CFE0-4BDD-8E9E-EA1CA3B0ABD9.jpeg
51009F4F-CFE0-4BDD-8E9E-EA1CA3B0ABD9.jpeg (84.41 KiB) Viewed 6274 times

Yeah that’s what I meant sorry. Norma standard velocity 1100fps.
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 11:33 am

alucarD wrote:
51009F4F-CFE0-4BDD-8E9E-EA1CA3B0ABD9.jpeg

Yeah that’s what I meant sorry. Norma standard velocity 1100fps.

Nice, I haven't been able to find the Tac22 anywhere. I only found one place that had the Training2 stuff.
Bloody hard getting test ammo since they stopped mail-order in September.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 11 Jan 2022, 4:14 pm

[/quote]Nice, I haven't been able to find the Tac22 anywhere. I only found one place that had the Training2 stuff.
Bloody hard getting test ammo since they stopped mail-order in September.[/quote]

Yeah k. Which state you in? I’m in Newcastle, NSW and they are in a few shops here.
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm

alucarD wrote:
Nice, I haven't been able to find the Tac22 anywhere. I only found one place that had the Training2 stuff.
Bloody hard getting test ammo since they stopped mail-order in September.[/quote]

Yeah k. Which state you in? I’m in Newcastle, NSW and they are in a few shops here.[/quote]

Country Victoria.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 15 Jan 2022, 5:37 pm

About to join the LA 101 club (is there a secret handshake?)

Ordered and paid for mine today, should arrive in a week.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by christodav » 16 Jan 2022, 12:47 am

Welcome aboard Don!
I purchased my LA101 22LR in LH black on black just before Christmas. So far, I have had the most success with the SK Magazine (big tin can). They feed fine and seem very accurate. I am still trying other brands and types including RWS and Federal. My supplied magazine broke last week. It split on one side where the rounds are held in place. I managed to superglue it back and it seems to have worked. I also purchased an Ideal 10 rounder so I will try that out this week.
Cheers

Chris
christodav
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by allan » 16 Jan 2022, 11:44 am

christodav wrote: My supplied magazine broke last week. It split on one side where the rounds are held in place. I managed to superglue it back and it seems to have worked. I also purchased an Ideal 10 rounder so I will try that out this week.
Cheers
Chris

Chris, I'm sure Lithgow will replace that magazine - From what I've seen, they are pretty good at handling warranty claims. You may have to adjust the follower in the Ideal mag to get reliable feeding but they are good mags.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by christodav » 16 Jan 2022, 7:59 pm

hey Allan, I have emailed Lithgow, but I haven't received a reply as yet.
I have already looked at the follower and it seems to be at the right angle etc according to their instructions and what the Youtuber Ozzie says. I will report back once I get a chance to test it.
christodav
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles