lithgow la101 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: lithgow la101 22lr

Post by christodav » 24 Jan 2022, 7:44 pm

allan wrote:
christodav wrote: My supplied magazine broke last week. It split on one side where the rounds are held in place. I managed to superglue it back and it seems to have worked. I also purchased an Ideal 10 rounder so I will try that out this week.
Cheers
Chris

Chris, I'm sure Lithgow will replace that magazine - From what I've seen, they are pretty good at handling warranty claims. You may have to adjust the follower in the Ideal mag to get reliable feeding but they are good mags.

Hey Allan. I got the replacement Lithgow mag in the mail today as you predicted. They covered it under the warranty luckily, as the superglue didn't last a load before it broke for good this time.. LOL I am happy with the 10 round Ideal Arms mag. It is really well built and it works well. I think I will mainly use the OEM Lithgow one though as I find that it is more comfortable with the 5 shot sitting flush.

Simon, are you enjoying your new purchase?

Chris
christodav
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by allan » 25 Jan 2022, 12:50 pm

christodav wrote:
allan wrote:
christodav wrote:Hey Allan. I got the replacement Lithgow mag in the mail today as you predicted. They covered it under the warranty luckily, as the superglue didn't last a load before it broke for good this time..
Chris

Good to hear....I'm sure you will be very happy with your LA101 purchase. I've owned a couple of nice 22's over the years and have been very satisfied with the pair of Lithgows we have - 2015 & 2016 build.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by alucarD » 31 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone assist me in removing the original bolt knob off the 101 bolt handle?? Want to put a tactical one on but have no idea how to get it off..

Cheers
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2022, 5:54 pm

alucarD wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone assist me in removing the original bolt knob off the 101 bolt handle?? Want to put a tactical one on but have no idea how to get it off..

Cheers

Might be worth an email to Lithgow, but I would guess Loktite, so heat would loosen it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 31 Jan 2022, 6:15 pm

Copy that mate. Will do!

Cheers
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 01 Feb 2022, 8:43 am

bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

Might be worth an email to Lithgow, but I would guess Loktite, so heat would loosen it.

I’m assuming then that the factory knob is just screwed on then?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2022, 9:25 am

alucarD wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

I’m assuming then that the factory knob is just screwed on then?

Yes, all the pics I've seen shows the bolt handle to have a male thread with the knob screwed onto it, you should be able to see the seam in the steel. If you search enough forums I'm sure you'll find something from people that have swapped the knob, but Lithgow should be able to advise on proper removal.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 01 Feb 2022, 10:18 am

I’m assuming then that the factory knob is just screwed on then?[/quote]

Yes, all the pics I've seen shows the bolt handle to have a male thread with the knob screwed onto it, you should be able to see the seam in the steel. If you search enough forums I'm sure you'll find something from people that have swapped the knob, but Lithgow should be able to advise on proper removal.[/quote]

Sweet. Thanks for the input man. Yes I have emailed Lithgow but it’s a long time in between drinks to get a reply..
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by allan » 01 Feb 2022, 12:47 pm

I've replaced a couple. When removing any of these bolt knobs (Anschutz etc) I secure the knob itself in a soft jawed vice. I then attack the handle/knob area with my wife's hair drier to get everything nice and warm - DON'T GO OVERBOARD WITH HEAT ON THESE PARTS. By gently turning the handle anti-clockwise, the knob will eventually come loose. You may have to heat it up a few times - Better to do that than risk breaking anything.

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by alucarD » 01 Feb 2022, 9:33 pm

allan wrote:I've replaced a couple. When removing any of these bolt knobs (Anschutz etc) I secure the knob itself in a soft jawed vice. I then attack the handle/knob area with my wife's hair drier to get everything nice and warm - DON'T GO OVERBOARD WITH HEAT ON THESE PARTS. By gently turning the handle anti-clockwise, the knob will eventually come loose. You may have to heat it up a few times - Better to do that than risk breaking anything.

Awesome. Thanks mate!
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 03 Feb 2022, 2:55 pm

Thanks legends for the advice! Bolt knob came off no worries!
Attachments
64C5BB23-88EE-4B94-8961-D376DEDB01D9.jpeg
New bolt knob
64C5BB23-88EE-4B94-8961-D376DEDB01D9.jpeg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 08 Feb 2022, 8:46 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:About to join the LA 101 club (is there a secret handshake?)

Ordered and paid for mine today, should arrive in a week.

Hey mate!
Mine is a laminate stock/blued barrel. I love every time I open up my safe and get to take it out. Mine shoots Norma tac22 and RWS subsonic hp the best! This group is awesome. Very helpful and knowledgeable people on here!
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 11 Feb 2022, 11:34 am

Having carefully read the instructions for disassembling my LA101 bolt for cleaning and to take care not to damage the firing pin indicator, I fumbled and dropped it and snapped off the indicator ! I emailed Lithgow and they sent me a replacement directly. How good is their customer service ? Australian made for me ! I’m looking forward to buying a LA102 in the future.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 11 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm

So my LA101 arrived at the shop last friday but the scope I wanted is still on back order.

I was getting a bit sick of waiting as its been almost 4 weeks in total (not the shops fault, shipping is a mess) so I had a look online and saw they had the 4-24x version of the scope I had originally ordered (3-18x) in stock. Called them up and they were able to mount it up and I picked everything up this afternoon.

looking forward to getting to the range to give it a run!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 11 Feb 2022, 5:24 pm

Adzy wrote:Having carefully read the instructions for disassembling my LA101 bolt for cleaning and to take care not to damage the firing pin indicator, I fumbled and dropped it and snapped off the indicator ! I emailed Lithgow and they sent me a replacement directly. How good is their customer service ? Australian made for me ! I’m looking forward to buying a LA102 in the future.

Ooo, that sucks!
Customer service good, but slow. Warranty guy is on the range more than looking into warranty issues. Still get the job done though.
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 11 Feb 2022, 5:25 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:So my LA101 arrived at the shop last friday but the scope I wanted is still on back order.

I was getting a bit sick of waiting as its been almost 4 weeks in total (not the shops fault, shipping is a mess) so I had a look online and saw they had the 4-24x version of the scope I had originally ordered (3-18x) in stock. Called them up and they were able to mount it up and I picked everything up this afternoon.

looking forward to getting to the range to give it a run!

Hey mate what scope u getting
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 11 Feb 2022, 6:55 pm

So the local shop is the importer for Vector Optics and while they are happy to order in Vortex, Steiner, Meopta and other brands, I've had a look through a few of the Vector scopes in the shop and been pleasantly surprised by the look and feel and optical quality.

I originally ordered the Vector Taurus 3-18x 50mm but swapped it for the Taurus 4-24x 50mm.

The scope is approx $830 retail (decent discount for buying with a rifle) and is in MRAD, first focal plane, illuminated reticle, parrallax down to 15m (I think).

I'm not expecting it to be German glass quality but for topping my first 22 I'm willing to give it a go.

Once I have some time behind the rifle and scope I will post a review as I don't see much on the Vector scopes.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 12 Feb 2022, 10:54 am

Don_Stevenson wrote:So the local shop is the importer for Vector Optics and while they are happy to order in Vortex, Steiner, Meopta and other brands, I've had a look through a few of the Vector scopes in the shop and been pleasantly surprised by the look and feel and optical quality.

I originally ordered the Vector Taurus 3-18x 50mm but swapped it for the Taurus 4-24x 50mm.

The scope is approx $830 retail (decent discount for buying with a rifle) and is in MRAD, first focal plane, illuminated reticle, parrallax down to 15m (I think).

I'm not expecting it to be German glass quality but for topping my first 22 I'm willing to give it a go.

Once I have some time behind the rifle and scope I will post a review as I don't see much on the Vector scopes.

Yeah nice man! Sounds the goods.
Good choice on the 4-24x50
Helps heaps when you are at the range with that extra zoom and side focus! Took me 2 scope purchases before I found the right one!
Mines an Arken sh4 gen2 34mm 6-24x50 MOA / IR / FFP / VPR. Absolutely love it. Glass is mint, turrets positive af, no slop, side focus/parallax smooth as.
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 14 Feb 2022, 8:29 am

I was looking at the Arkens, they seem to have great reviews and ridiculous value for money but that also makes them sell out very quick and I wasn't able to find one in stock anywhere.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 14 Feb 2022, 8:50 am

Don_Stevenson wrote:I was looking at the Arkens, they seem to have great reviews and ridiculous value for money but that also makes them sell out very quick and I wasn't able to find one in stock anywhere.

Yeah incredible price for how good they are!
Check this website Scopedout.com
That’s where I got mine
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 22 Feb 2022, 4:52 pm

I have recently purchased a CZ steel 10 rd magazine after initially buying some poly magazines, the difference in quality is a solid feel that I feel should have come as standard equipment. I don’t understand why Lithgow don’t manufacture a steel magazine given the higher purchase price to begin with. Love the quality and accuracy that challenges the much more expensive rifles . It really needs a fully adjustable trigger too to gain a foothold in the USA market.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 22 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm

Adzy wrote:I have recently purchased a CZ steel 10 rd magazine after initially buying some poly magazines, the difference in quality is a solid feel that I feel should have come as standard equipment. I don’t understand why Lithgow don’t manufacture a steel magazine given the higher purchase price to begin with. Love the quality and accuracy that challenges the much more expensive rifles . It really needs a fully adjustable trigger too to gain a foothold in the USA market.

My mate just put a lighter trigger in his. It’s really good! Perfect weight for precision shooting!
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by allan » 23 Feb 2022, 11:29 am

Adzy wrote:I I don’t understand why Lithgow don’t manufacture a steel magazine given the higher purchase price to begin with. Love the quality and accuracy that challenges the much more expensive rifles . It really needs a fully adjustable trigger too to gain a foothold in the USA market.

I'd have to agree! Having said that, the next plastic follower or base plate I break on a factory Anschutz magazine won't be the last and look what those rifles cost these days!
Lithgow have to build the LA101 to a price to compete with the likes of CZ etc and overall, I think they have done a good job.
I would also love to see a fully adjustable trigger on the Lithgow but can't see that happening. With spring changes and a light internal polish, the factory Lithgow trigger is every bit as good as the single stage triggers in my Anschutz sporters. Anything is possible though - Check out this Anschutz 5018 trigger on Lowey's LA101.

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Adzy » 24 Feb 2022, 8:53 am

That trigger is US $650 ! I have done the trigger spring mod and it’s much better, just beginning to understand how much the shooter influences the group size with too much trigger pull ! It’s really a challenge to get that pull super controlled and consistent. I replaced the plastic cap too on the bolt with a billet aluminium machined cap polished to a mirror shine !
Attachments
4BFCBE61-87F1-4D5D-9D31-CC4616CF8247.jpeg
4BFCBE61-87F1-4D5D-9D31-CC4616CF8247.jpeg (329.13 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 24 Feb 2022, 10:03 am

Adzy wrote:That trigger is US $650 ! I have done the trigger spring mod and it’s much better, just beginning to understand how much the shooter influences the group size with too much trigger pull ! It’s really a challenge to get that pull super controlled and consistent. I replaced the plastic cap too on the bolt with a billet aluminium machined cap polished to a mirror shine !

Looks awesome mate. I see you running the 10rd mag aswell!
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 24 Feb 2022, 11:53 am

Adzy wrote:That trigger is US $650 ! I have done the trigger spring mod and it’s much better, just beginning to understand how much the shooter influences the group size with too much trigger pull ! It’s really a challenge to get that pull super controlled and consistent. I replaced the plastic cap too on the bolt with a billet aluminium machined cap polished to a mirror shine !

If you ever get a chance to practice on a digital trainer, you will see the affect of different triggers and different finger placement. My heavy two stage milsurp triggers usually break off to the right of the exhale position, even with correct finger-placement. Yet with enough repetition, it can still be mastered - a sub-moa group can still be achieved, even possibly from the sling, if you are feeling particularly sharp and with some luck dusted on top.

Meanwhile (obviously) a benchrest trigger should cause minimal movement away from the exhale position because your finger makes hardly any pressure on the rifle. It's just a different style that needs to be mastered, and lends itself to a less random outcome, hence the potentially tiny 1/2moa groups (if the rest of the equation is up to it).

It's all about consistency and repetition - your technique can be weird, but as long as it's consistently weird, you can make it work. Practice makes permanent.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 25 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm

Question on ammo..
Can shoot high velocity copper plated (washed) ammo damage our barrels? I’ve heard mixed answers..

Thanks.
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 25 Feb 2022, 5:19 pm

alucarD wrote:Question on ammo..
Can shoot high velocity copper plated (washed) ammo damage our barrels? I’ve heard mixed answers..

Thanks.

Short answer......no :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by alucarD » 25 Feb 2022, 9:27 pm

Strikey wrote:
alucarD wrote:Question on ammo..

Thanks.

Short answer......no :thumbsup:

I actually would like a bit longer answer please. :)
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by allan » 26 Feb 2022, 10:43 am

Strikey is right.....As long as you are cleaning your Lithgow bore correctly, you won't live long enough to see any damage from copper washed HV ammunition.
I refrain from using any HV ammo in the 22LR barrels I have with true match chambers and prefer all the standard velocity offerings from the likes of Lapua/SK/Eley.
I do draw the line at Stingers though - Don't use them in any barrel.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles