Krico 300D Scope issues - Looking for some help.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Krico 300D Scope issues - Looking for some help.

Post by Krico300 » 03 Jan 2022, 3:30 pm

Hello everyone,
As a relative newcomer to gun ownership, (I have however been on shooting trips since a young age, and shooting since I was able to acquire my Junior's permit) I have recently acquired a Krico 300D in 22WMR. The rifle itself is in near perfect condition, bar some minor scrapes from use over the last 50 odd years. The original bluing is still intact and in exceptional condition, along with the bore. The rifle originally came with a period Japanese produced Weaver 4x scope, and new-ish rings, which worked okay, but isn't ideal for the types of shooting I pursue. I was able to find a good deal on a used Pecar 6x, which is optically perfect, however, has had some wear, particularly to the bluing.

I was very excited to receive it in the mail along with a pair of Lynx mounts and rings with windage compensation (the scope is the slightly less fancy model Pecar without windage compensation, I believe the windage compensating model is called a 'Champion'.) However, the mounts would not fit the rails, and required a few thou to be filed out of the claws. After this was complete, the issue seemed resolved, and the mounts bolted up nicely (or so I thought,) and I bore sighted the scope in, then proceeded to sight the the setup in first at around 70m. Taking a couple of groups, the rifle was shooting consistent groups under 1", so I proceeded to attempt sighting in at 100m. This went well initially, but the sight became less and less predictable with each group and each attempt at resolving it. I ran pout of daylight, and headed home. Skip to a few days later, I attempted again to sight the thing in at 100m, trying to do fine adjustments, only to find that the rifle was shooting consistent groups, completely off the paper. I fumbled around wondering what was going on, until I realised the scope/mounts had shot itself completely loose, with the front mount shooting itself completely off the front rail, and the rear mount probably around 100mm from the original position at time of mounting the scope. That ended that session at the range quite quickly.

I have since removed the scope and rings, along with the mounts, and found that scope has been shot through the rings, evidenced by the now ugly scratches caused by the sub-par rings. I am quite disappointed at the outcome thus far. i have talked to premium optics who I purchased the scope and mounts from, who intern spoke to the supplier, apparently this is the second instance of this happening with these specific Lynx mounts, and the Australian supplier is not satisfied with Lynx's quality control, however, couldn't help with compensation etc. Disappointing performance from a set of $300 mounts and rings. So, my options are now to attempt to get these mounts and rings to work, filing more out of the claws, and re-blue the damaged areas, or desert this setup, and try to recoup some of the burden on my wallet. I am inclined to want to persist with the current setup, and am wondering if the gun gurus have and tips/suggestions as to how I could go about trying to get the thing to work properly, or alternative setup options that would work well for a 22WMR at around 100m? Additionally, I am also hunting some Krico 300D specific parts, the 22WMR 5 round mag, and rear sight (both of which are pretty hard to come by) so, if anyone has these items and is interested in selling them, please message me!

I intend to provide exact measurements and pictures in a followup post.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Liam.
Krico300
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Krico 300D Scope issues - Looking for some help.

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

Perhaps it is a good time to consult a gunsmith to give you an accurate assessment.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by scoot » 04 Jan 2022, 8:12 pm

You could bed the scope to the rings much like an action in a stock. Weather that be with a skim of filler or remove some meat off the rings first to give a bit more purchase for the filler. Lot of rooting around for a new expensive set of rings though.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Krico300 » 01 Sep 2022, 2:00 am

With much fettling the problem has been resolved, unfortunately the quality of production of the South African produced Lynx mounts really leaves something to be desired, particularly considering the hefty price. The rifle has now enjoyed a few trips out with the spotlight, and has proved to be an exceptionally accurate little setup paired with the Pecar Berlin 6x59 out to a hundred, and occasionally a little further.

I had to make some fairly extensive modifications to the rings too, due to an issue with centring the windage as a result of some inaccuracy of the factory holes. Nothing a bit of work couldn't fix...missing the quality of Hilver Australia.
Krico300
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 01 Sep 2022, 7:45 am

In the late 80's I bought an early model second hand Krico 300 22.
I had problems along the same lines to what you describe.
It turned out that the dovetail grooves on the Krico were the culprit. They were too shallow and badly shaped and the slightest bump or mishandling would allow one of the rings to pop out of the groove.
The solution turned out to be to drill and tap the receiver for a couple of stud bases intended for 1" round receivers. The job was done by the Tetra (Hillver manufacturer) factory and has turned out to be a rock solid permanent solution.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles